The Prize: CPL 2022 season finale + playoffs

14 minutes ago, Kingston said:

How far off are they?

They haven't updated the page yet...

https://canpl.ca/u-21-minutes-played/

But they were at 1780, and Antoniuk played 59, Roy 60 (really the same sub time), then Bahous played 74. That is 194 more, so they are missing 26 minutes or so for the last match of the season.

I believe to meet the spirit of the rule:

1-teams should be obliged to fulfill a % of the minutes by the half-way mark of the season, say 40%

2-should be obliged to fulfill minutes with at least X number of players, ie, not just one. Now a loan player can only give you 1000 of those 2000 minutes, but a regular squad member could give you all of them.

This rule could be expanded to: no player can count to more than 1000 of the minutes required. At least 4/5 players must contribute to u-21 minutes.

3-increase the requirement of minutes to 2500. Let's keep pushing the principle so that the league properly develops younger players, and more so since there is no committment to academies yet.

Going into the last weekend, Atlético Ottawa has the advantage. 

They are playing York at home, the final fixture of the regular season. They'll know what they have to do to win the league before they start. A win ensures it but a draw may be enough.

Cavalry can't win the league, Pacific still could. A Pacific win combined with Atlético drawing means Pacific wins the regular season, as the tie-breaker is most wins.

Otherwise the teams are playing for a second leg semi at home, or even, depending on semi results, a final at home. You could just as well decide to reserve players with knocks, or do a few other things, so as to not burn your starters out before the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Going into the last weekend, Atlético Ottawa has the advantage. 

They are playing York at home, the final fixture of the regular season. They'll know what they have to do to win the league before they start. A win ensures it but a draw may be enough.

Cavalry can't win the league, Pacific still could. A Pacific win combined with Atlético drawing means Pacific wins the regular season, as the tie-breaker is most wins.

Otherwise the teams are playing for a second leg semi at home, or even, depending on semi results, a final at home. You could just as well decide to reserve players with knocks, or do a few other things, so as to not burn your starters out before the playoffs. 

For the league, I think the best case scenario is Ottawa getting to play Forge either in semis or finals. I think you could get decent home crowds + a large travelling contingent both ways. 

37 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

For the league, I think the best case scenario is Ottawa getting to play Forge either in semis or finals. I think you could get decent home crowds + a large travelling contingent both ways. 

"For the league"?

You are not going to get more than a few dozen visiting fans maximum either way, if that for a semi final.

For me it is better if Pacific wins because it is the team I support, regardless of who they play.

Playoff schedule:

Saturday 15 October, first leg of semis

Cavalry-Forge at 2pm local time

Pacific-Atlético Ottawa at 4pm local time

Sunday 23 October, second leg of semis

At Ottawa-Pacific at 2pm EST

Forge-Cavalry at 4pm EST

Not sure what the rule is for tied on goals after two legs of regular time. 

Final: single match on 29 October, or 30 October, TBD in function of the final host (apparently to allow for preparation). To be played in the venue of the highest ranked team from the regular season. Only Pacific has no chance of hosting the final.

2nd leg of semi-finals this weekend:

At Ottawa-Pacific at 2pm EST

At Ottawa can even lose by a goal and go to the final.

Pacific FC needs to win by two to go to the penalty round.

Forge-Cavalry at 5pm EST

The time has been put back an hour from the initially anounced time. This would be to avoid overlapping of games if the previous match goes to added time and penalty kicks.

Winner goes to the final, any draw leads to penalty kicks.

All players and technical staff are exempt from missing matches due to card suspensions going into and during the playoff round.

Atlético Ottawa has earned themselves a final at home.

After today's good crowd, which even looked fairly full on tv and was a rare sense of satisfaction as a viewing fan. we'll see what kind of gate they can pull for a final. Weather will obviously play a role in the lead up.

If Forge is the rival they will be going for their third trophy. If it's Cavalry, there will be a new CPL Champion, and what's more, a new participant in Concacaf competitions.

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Atlético Ottawa has earned themselves a final at home.

After today's good crowd, which even looked fairly full on tv and was a rare sense of satisfaction as a viewing fan. we'll see what kind of gate they can pull for a final. Weather will obviously play a role in the lead up.

If Forge is the rival they will be going for their third trophy. If it's Cavalry, there will be a new CPL Champion, and what's more, a new participant in Concacaf competitions.

No Concacaf spots this year

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Really?  

I'm lost on that stuff. So crazy to not have a league winner in any Concacaf competition. 

Due to the format change.

There is no Concacaf League anymore. Pacific will be the 2nd and last CPL team to ever play in it 

In 2023 CPL will award 2 spots to the full Champions League 

Edited by narduch

56 minutes ago, narduch said:

Due to the format change.

There is no Concacaf League anymore. Pacific will be the 2nd and last CPL team to ever play in it 

In 2023 CPL will award 2 spots to the full Champions League 

So what is being played in 2023? Sorry but some things I can't get my head around, like the names of fish in Spanish, herbal plant uses, and Concacaf competitions.

On 10/23/2022 at 5:15 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

So what is being played in 2023? Sorry but some things I can't get my head around, like the names of fish in Spanish, herbal plant uses, and Concacaf competitions.

2023 will have Champions League, with the 6 teams that qualified from the 2022 CONCACAF League (first leg of the final is this week) as well as the regular MLS, Liga MX, and Caribbean qualified teams.

14 hours ago, Kent said:

2023 will have Champions League, with the 6 teams that qualified from the 2022 CONCACAF League (first leg of the final is this week) as well as the regular MLS, Liga MX, and Caribbean qualified teams.

So let's get this clear: if Pacific had won that round vs. Herediano, they would have gotten into the quarter finals. But that would not have been enough: from what I see, they would have had to made the semis, or, at minimum, been one of the two best quarter final losers to qualify for next years Champions League.

So they were fairly close.