Possible Solution for Mediocre Viewership?

BLennard

Has anyone realized how bad the camera work is in the MLS? I can't be the only one. I've gotten so tired of it, that i've lost interest in watching games on the TV. It's also maybe why the viewership isn't as good as the attendances. If you look at any European game for example, it's like a movie; they respect the thirds rule and the framing is near perfect, which is super soothing for the eyes. But in the MLS, jeez, it's all over the place. The camera angles are off, no good replays for the goals, and half the time when something happens off screen, they don't have the right footage, and they also have a hard time following the play, especially on counter attacks. 

Maybe all this is just a useless rant, but I think it is not mentioned enough. People from the other side of the pound make fun of the MLS for it's mediocre play style. But I think having not so good cameramen does not help our cause.

There been improvements over the years but there still a long way to go.  Its still poor.  North america broadcasters are obsessed with pointless isolation or zoom-in shots of players, coaches, or even fans in the stands all the while the action is happening.  They dont get it that in other sports, the reasons that you have to show coaches staring off in the distance and fans drinking a beer is because there is pauses in the action and you have show something whereas in soccer there is no pause and there is something to show on the field.

One thing i dont fault them for in regards to the amatuerish look of the MLS broadcasts is that many MLS stadiums dont have an upper deck.   Like Saputo stadium.  Games at Saputo stadium look terrible on television because there isnt an upper deck to install cameras.  Cameras in the upper deck give the best overhead and parorqmic view of the play.  And thats what you see in europe and thats what makes viewing more pleasant and professional.  The games at the stadium in Seattle always looked the best of all MLS venues for televised games. 

First time i stepped into Saputo stadium was on winter day when it was still under construction.  Jamie was in Montreal at the time and we met up and went over to take a look at the stadium while it was coverred with snow.  It was the first thing i remarked,  they didnt allow for adding an upper deck and therefore the broadcasts will always look substandard because the camera will be too close to the action and always more on an angle. Hence the cameras will have to move more with the action and the viewer will miss alot of whats happening away from the ball. 

I often say to myself when watching "Fire the director". Another thing I would like to see is more views from behind the goal as it show the entire width of the pitch thus offering a view of where every player is positioned. I often go to watch games from behind the goal even though seeing the opposite end is more difficult. This would not be a problem for tv viewers as they could switch cameras views. 

On 10/29/2018 at 6:03 PM, BLennard said:

Has anyone realized how bad the camera work is in the MLS? I can't be the only one. I've gotten so tired of it, that i've lost interest in watching games on the TV. It's also maybe why the viewership isn't as good as the attendances. If you look at any European game for example, it's like a movie; they respect the thirds rule and the framing is near perfect, which is super soothing for the eyes. But in the MLS, jeez, it's all over the place. The camera angles are off, no good replays for the goals, and half the time when something happens off screen, they don't have the right footage, and they also have a hard time following the play, especially on counter attacks. 

Maybe all this is just a useless rant, but I think it is not mentioned enough. People from the other side of the pound make fun of the MLS for it's mediocre play style. But I think having not so good cameramen does not help our cause.

Good post.

I have posted here, and on the MLS site, about the problems at Yankee Stadium, which are to a great degree about production of the broadcast. The cameras are simply improperly placed, so the angle is flat, and you see too much sidelines. And this exagerrates the narrowness of the pitch, which does not have to be a problem. Yesterday watching Rayo Vallecano-Barça, in a field with the narrowest pitch in La Liga, it did not seem a problem at all, you did not notice the width difference.  Because the  main camera was placed on a high crane well above the grandstand (it is also a relatively small stadium), and the angle was sharp from above. 

Compare to the replay of the DC United - Crew playoff match, which I watched this morning (wanted to see ET and penalties). And the camera work was very poor overall. They had proper overall shots, but all details were excessively close. Celebration shots were tight and no images of overall celebration, or dissappointment from fans, benches. So what should be a moment in a match of high tension, extra time goals, where there is nail biting, and nervous benches and coaches, and players recriminating each other, was mostly lost. They did not show wide views of fans either. They focused on two guys wearing Columbus shirts but missed the visiting supporter section, mostly. They did not even show the count after every penalty, which was ridiculous: they only showed it a few times. So you could easily lose count or be confused, if it were not for announcers. Then, in a critical moment when the ball moved because of the wind, and the Crew players were complaining (Mullins penalty), they missed it and did not show a specific replay to justify the guys complaining to the ref. And when the final DC penalty went over the bar, no images of DC players deflated, just Crew celebration. So overall, a mess of a broadcast, badly done if you think of the classic, standard, and fan-preferred ways of presenting an ET period and penalties.

Watching NYCFC vs Atl now.  Dreadful positioning of the camera at Yankee stadium. This is a thousand times worst than the camera angles for games at Saputo stadium whom I had mentioned as an example of poor.   Honestly, this is affecting appreciation of the game because it does not look like a professional game. 

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with all this.  Too many irrelevant shots of fans, coaches, etc.  Too much talking about nothing.  Call the players name only and let the play do the talking.  And for goodness sake, get rid of all the UK announcers. Imagine watching Serie A in Italy with all the announcers having British accents!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind the British commentators. I do mind the so-called colour-commentators who add nothing (often do not seem to even understand the game) with general statements about mentality, teambuilding and even the weather. The field commentators are even worse, they add absolutely nothing the the viewing of a game. 

Archived