Rangers vs Benfica in Hamilton on Oct 6th?

Toje

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-benfica-talks-over-glamour-11107094

"European giants such as Real Madrid , Inter Milan, Ajax and north London rivals Arsenal and Spurs have all taken part over the years.

However, it wasn’t staged on its traditional date this year and has now been pencilled in for October 6 during the next international break."

33 minutes ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

One thing that did stick out were the supporter sections. Will this be temp bleachers? During the pan am games, the ends were empty. 

Probably, though I seem to remember there was a logistical issue when the issue was brought up at the December meeting. I think it was said that it would be easy to set up bleachers on one end but not both? Memory is fuzzy on that

Edit: Jk, apparently it's standing

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

This is mainly aimed at hardcore Benfica and Rangers fans that watch games regularly through online streams and there will be plenty still willing to pay those prices but I suspect 24,000 might be pushing it a bit at those prices.

I'm a Benfica casual fan and I don't wanna spend $50 on this game

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

This is mainly aimed at hardcore Benfica and Rangers fans that watch games regularly through online streams and there will be plenty still willing to pay those prices but I suspect 24,000 might be pushing it a bit at those prices.

I will not be driving at those prices. I paid less to watch them in Ottawa and had seats in row 2 dead center.

That was when they were in the lower divisions and playing the Ottawa Fury rather than a club that has won the European Cup, so I can understand the prices as the appearance fees will be astronomical for this given it involves transatlantic travel during the season. The Rangers Dinamo Zagreb game set me back $150 for a pair and I'd probably pay similar again if I had to for a single ticket if I was close to Hamilton, which I'm not at the moment, as long as I knew for sure that it wasn't going to be a case of watching two reserve teams going through the motions in not much more than a practice session. On an international date I suspect that could easily happen, so I would be somewhat wary of this game and would probably go for the standing room only tickets given that's how I prefer to watch games anyway.

I think they got the prices way wrong. I'm a big soccer fan (although not of these two teams in particular), and I'm basically a lock for getting CPL tickets, but this was an instant "no" for me. I know four people that were also excited by the announcement but won't pay those prices.

They probably actually only really need Benfica fans showing up to fill THF for this, if they had prices set to maximize the attendance. From a fiscal standpoint 12000 or so hardcore fanatics of the two clubs paying $150 on average gives you a lot more revenue than 24000 paying $30 on average and they will have some massive expenses to cover to make the numbers work on this, so I can see why they have adopted this approach.

On 14/09/2017 at 0:21 PM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

They probably actually only really need Benfica fans showing up to fill THF for this, if they had prices set to maximize the attendance. From a fiscal standpoint 12000 or so hardcore fanatics of the two clubs paying $150 on average gives you a lot more revenue than 24000 paying $30 on average and they will have some massive expenses to cover to make the numbers work on this, so I can see why they have adopted this approach.

And I don't think that they will have any shortage of hardcores. I have a neighbor who has a Benfica licence plate (and I also saw an FC Porto plate the other day!).

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Complete Homer said:

Holy

Bad sales kill it?  Not a good look

Not sales. Everything I've seen is Benfica pulled out. They say organizers not living up to commitments. Celtic exploring legal options 

Also seen Benfica supporters praising this because the team is crap and need the practice 

Just now, Rheo said:

Not sales. Everything I've seen is Benfica pulled out. They say organizers not living up to commitments. Celtic exploring legal options 

Also seen Benfica supporters praising this because the team is crap and need the practice 

Overall, bad look if there's any substantial tie in with the TiCats/CPL

Looks like the local organizer from Brampton balked at paying for grass as ticket sales were not going to cover the expenses involved and Benfica pulled out when they did. There's no easy pot of gold on this stuff, but I suspect the would be CanPL investors already knew that and only had a peripheral role on this. The organizers really needed BMO Field to be available to make this work well and were unlucky on the timing of Argos games where this particular international break is concerned.

Archived