UCLA win again comfortably against UCSB.  Fleming wasn't a huge force on the field, but she got a lot of love from the announcers.  UCLA spreads the talent so broadly that it must be a challenge to come up with a story that can grab the average Joe.  I think that's where the Fleming media focus is coming from right now; her reputation is enough to set her apart.  I think we'll get a better picture of where everyone stands when the season progresses and more is on the line.

Had to find the nightly replay of this game after I came home from having dinner with friends to watch the Game of Thrones finale. So this is why I am posting here the next day.

Jessie Fleming did not get to play a lot this game. Coach Amanda Cromwell wanted to take a closer look at her rookies and play them more to find out how to use them as the season progresses. Fleming was substituted out at the 35 minute in the first half and did not start the second. In fact I was expecting Cromwell to rest Fleming for the night but Fleming was brought back in the 75th minute to play the rest of the game. So about 50 minutes Fleming was on the pitch. 

Santa Barbara is not a team that will make the NCAA tournament, they were the 3rd best in their league and I think they only sent one representative last year. So having Coach Cromwell experiment and find places for her rookies I was all for. UCLA is a very young team, made mostly of Freshman and Sophomores which is why I am not expecting them to win any titles this year, even though I would like them to. 

UCLA scored 2 quick goals, Fleming didn't assist on any of the goals, but UCLA did keep the lion's share of the possession. The 2nd half came around and UCLA would add another goal to go up 3-0 but Santa Barbara came back and scored on a header which you could say the UCLA keeper Micah Teagan misplayed. She isn't a fast keeper so she tends to be very hesitant to come off her line and it cost her here. She could of easily punched that ball away if not catch it in the air but she hesitated too long and allowed the header to come in. 

Fleming for herself, she actually had 2 great goal scoring chances when she subbed back in the second half. Was picked up a through ball and knifed through 2 defenders and got a close range rocket shot off and the Santa Barbara actually made a great save to stop it, the rebound came out because the shot was so hard and a defender knocked it away. The second chance came very late into the game and Fleming saw the keeper leaning for the far post and then redirected the ball to the near post catching the keeper off guard. The keeper had to turn her body around and actually got a hand on the ball to stop it or it was a sure goal for Fleming. The rebound was there and Hailie Mace jumped on it and scored but Mace was clearly off side so it was recalled back. 

These are some of the chances that clearly illustrate how talent that Fleming has. Even if she fires a shot on goal, she is thinking of placement where most girls would fire a shot as hard as they could but not even get the ball on frame. Which happened in this game. Hailie Mace was in on a 1v1 and she had the far post and she completely missed the shot which I don't blame her too much since she is a converted attacker from center back. She played center back her first 2 years and she is playing the 9 this year although she does get slotted to defense when Cromwell needs her there. 

What I am very looking forward too is when Kennedy Faulknor comes in and starts playing. UCLA needs a stronger spine in the back line and I am hoping Kennedy is that since they haven't been playing the best. The back line has allowed goals in every game so far. 

Edited by Forgedias

I think that Fleming should play in more of an attacking role for UCLA, with the current set of players that they have.  She did this very successfully last year after Jenkins went down, and that was because she had 2 great central midfielders who were playing deeper in the midfield, in Gabbi Miranda and Annie Alvarado.  This year, she says to track back into space to collect the ball, and then hold on to the ball to try to find a through ball she can play.  If not, she plays a safe pass to a teammate.  I think that playing quick passes and linking up with players higher up the pitch like Mace, Sanchez, and A. Rodriguez will lead to more goal-scoring opportunities for Fleming, rather than collecting the ball in front of her centre backs.  UCLA also seems to rely on a rotation of 19 players, with 7 of them being central midfielders.  That leads to less playing time for some very talented and young central midfielders like Athens and Canales, and also some players playing out of their primary position, like Sheehan on the wing.  Cromwell is a great coach and late last season switched to a 4-2-3-1 with Fleming as a false nine.  It will be interesting to see if any formation changes are made come conference play and into the playoffs.  But so far a solid season for Fleming and the Bruins as they always find a way to put the ball in the net.

11 hours ago, NickH said:

I think that Fleming should play in more of an attacking role for UCLA, with the current set of players that they have.  She did this very successfully last year after Jenkins went down, and that was because she had 2 great central midfielders who were playing deeper in the midfield, in Gabbi Miranda and Annie Alvarado.  This year, she says to track back into space to collect the ball, and then hold on to the ball to try to find a through ball she can play.  If not, she plays a safe pass to a teammate.  I think that playing quick passes and linking up with players higher up the pitch like Mace, Sanchez, and A. Rodriguez will lead to more goal-scoring opportunities for Fleming, rather than collecting the ball in front of her centre backs.  UCLA also seems to rely on a rotation of 19 players, with 7 of them being central midfielders.  That leads to less playing time for some very talented and young central midfielders like Athens and Canales, and also some players playing out of their primary position, like Sheehan on the wing.  Cromwell is a great coach and late last season switched to a 4-2-3-1 with Fleming as a false nine.  It will be interesting to see if any formation changes are made come conference play and into the playoffs.  But so far a solid season for Fleming and the Bruins as they always find a way to put the ball in the net.

I don't doubt the formation could change in the future. But UCLA did recruit 12 freshman this year. That is a huge class to come in and Coach Amanda Cromwell needs to figure out where everyone will play at. Are they going to be super subs and provide energy, tempo against a tired team or will they become starters and become the spine for the team. Its why you saw so many substitutions this game. She needs to know what she has in her players and figure out their roles. 

And yes I noticed what Fleming was doing. Playing more has a holding midfielder and acting more defensively. The thing is, when Fleming is on the pitch, UCLA usually keeps a clean sheet. All the goals, the 2 goals from Santa Clara, the goal from Santa Barbara were all scored while Fleming was on the bench. That should tell you how much work Fleming does on the defensive side. But yes I want Fleming on the offensive side more. She is spectacular there.

Other players who have stood out so far is Ashley Sanchez has been great. Great on the ball, her work rate has been outstanding. Tracks back defensively and will help her defense win balls in her own half. For a forward that is good to see. Plus Sanchez has shown creativity. She doesn't force plays if they don't exist and will create space for other players to make runs to and send them balls. 

Another rookie who has shown great flashes is Delanie Sheehan. What I like about her is her football IQ. She makes runs into space to receive balls, knows when to attack or when to link up with her midfield. The problem with freshman players is that they will play direct a lot of the times. They get the ball and charge for goal to get a shot off. Not what I like seeing and UCLA doesn't play this way. So knocking that out of the rookies will take time but Sheehan has shown she has already progressed further. Good to see.

Other then that, the midfield will solidify soon. A lot of young players are available and they will all need to get some time on the pitch. Its the defense that is worrying right now. They haven't been playing well. Have allowed goals in their 3 games. Its why Kennedy Faulknor will be important. Really looking forward to what she brings to UCLA. 

Edited by Forgedias

30 minutes ago, Forgedias said:

Other then that, the midfield will solidify soon. A lot of young players are available and they will all need to get some time on the pitch. Its the defense that is worrying right now. They haven't been playing well. Have allowed goals in their 3 games. Its why Kennedy Faulknor will be important. Really looking forward to what she brings to UCLA. 

The defense is probably the biggest liability to their team right now.  However, Cromwell has used the same rotation players on the back line in the first 4 games, with primarily 3 players playing the 2 fullback spots, and 3 players playing the 2 centreback spots (as well as Mace playing CB occasionally).  I wonder if Cromwell is trying to get the core defensive unit to play a lot of minutes together.  That might mean that we won't see Faulknor for a while, if at all this season.

2 hours ago, NickH said:

The defense is probably the biggest liability to their team right now.  However, Cromwell has used the same rotation players on the back line in the first 4 games, with primarily 3 players playing the 2 fullback spots, and 3 players playing the 2 centreback spots (as well as Mace playing CB occasionally).  I wonder if Cromwell is trying to get the core defensive unit to play a lot of minutes together.  That might mean that we won't see Faulknor for a while, if at all this season.

If Kennedy Faulknor is healthy and match fit, she will play. Either that or Cromwell will red shirt Faulknor to save a year of her eligibility. Which hasn't happened. So Faulknor will play this season. When will be the interesting question since I have no news on Faulknor. 

WWC Movement posted the Santa Barbara game on youtube.

Also the coaches poll came out today and UCLA came in ranked as the number one team in the nation. Not what I was expecting since the Florida team, ranked 8, beat Stanford, ranked 1 in the nation and I thought they would take the top honors and not put that bull's eye on the kids this early. Wanted less pressure on the girls but they will need to grow up sooner then planned I guess. 

I'm surprised they got to number 1.  As many here have pointed out (and Amanda Cromwell, too), their defense needs work.  Imagine if West Virginia's back line from last year was on this team!  That said, I like how McCullough has played back there, and the others haven't been bad.  They just haven't shown that dominance you expect to see from a top notch back line.  Maybe the coaches expect them to figure that part out later this season.

This Friday and Sunday will be road games for UCLA, happily both games will be available to watch via the other team's streaming network. 

Friday UCLA plays Brigham Young University at 6pm pt 
Link: https://www.byutv.org/livetv

Sunday UCLA plays Weber State at 6pm pt
Link: http://www.bigskyconf.com/sports/2015/11/19/WatchBigSky.aspx

Edit: Forgot to put up times. 

Edited by Forgedias

UCLA beats BYU 1-0 on a goal by Hailie Mace assisted by Jessie Fleming. 

I wasn't a pretty game. BYU played a high press against UCLA and UCLA didn't adapt to it well. Instead of using quick passes to break the press down, UCLA were holding the ball too much, trying to attack with it and with a press, invariably you got defenders getting to the player and forcing a turn over sending a counter the opposite direction which happened frequently in the first half, 

One of the hallmarks of a Coach Cromwell offense is short passing game, hold up to create runs for players and one touch passing. Right now we are rarely seeing this since the team is very young. UCLA is mostly made up of 1st and 2nd year players and getting them to play that system is taking some time. When you look at American soccer, when they play at the academy level, its mostly a physical type of game. Players try to beat their player 1v1 and then try to get to the end line to send crosses or go for goal. We saw a lot of this from UCLA. Something that does work against weaker teams but against stronger teams it just stops the offense. I expect that over the season, that a more fluid flowing offense will develop. Players like Fleming and Ashley Sanchez do play the way UCLA wants to play so I expect more players to buy into this system.

The second half would be better, a lot more passing from the players instead of directly attacking with the ball and this also tired out BYU and their press which fell off. The goal scored by Hailie Mace came off a turn over and Fleming would hold the ball up allowing Mace to make a run and then slotting her a  square ball that Mace would fire into the upper 90. 

BYU on the other hand could of tied this game up in the second half. Karina Rodriguez the freshman center back who is paired with Kaiya McCullough made a pretty bad blunder. She tends to do a lot of freestyling and do her own thing. It cost her in the first game when she gave up the penalty kick and it almost gave up a goal because Rodriguez allowed the BYU player Nadia Gomes to get behind her as Rodriguez was pushing forward. Gomes is her mark but she didn't mark her at all and doesn't work with McCullough to keep a high line which is even a worse mistake on her part. As a freshman you expect mistakes but as a center back you have to know your position and responsibility. You can't free style like Rodriguez does. Because Rodriguez allowed Gomes to get behind her, the long ball over the top easily gave Gomes a clear break away on goal. She should of scored but hit the cross bar. Some questions will need to be asked about Rodriguez if she keeps making these type of mistakes. 

Its a win so at UCLA can be happy about it but they have a lot to work on for the season. 

Edited by Forgedias

8 minutes ago, rkomar said:

To be fair, Sanchez had a wide open net and missed with her shot, too, so it wasn't just Gomes.

Lots of turnovers by UCLA due to poor passes.  I wonder if the altitude had something to do with that?

Your right they are at altitude but its also on the players to deal with the press and they were holding onto the ball too long allowing the press to reach them and force the turn over. 

Saw the replay of the Gomes near goal and I was wrong. It was McCullough that dived in to try to fight for the ball, not Rodriguez setting up that break away with the long ball past her. But Rodriguez was also to blame because she didn't have inside leverage on Gomes who had a free ride to goal since Rodriguez was on the outside of her not on the inside. Just a bad sequence of play for UCLA. 

UCLA beats Weber State 2-0.

UCLA goals: Gabrielle Matulich, Julia Hernadez

Coach Amanda Cromwell started a sub roster this game so players like Sunny Dunphy, Marley Canales, Olivia Athens and Julia Hernadez started the match. Also starting in her first game was Kennedy Faulknor. I actually didn't know she was on the pitch until I saw the stat page later on the game. Faulknor played the first 45 minutes and then Karina Rodriguez the other freshman center back played the second half. 

Because of these new players and the field in general where the ball kept bouncing on the grass and forced extra touches by the UCLA players. The rhythm and flow of play wasn't there for UCLA in the first half. A lot of turn overs and long balls by the defenders. I think the play broke down into a direct attack because players were forced to try to hold the ball more the Weber State played a man marking system when ever UCLA got to the mid field. When the core players got onto the pitch in the second half, UCLA were able to string more possession and handle the grass better. 

Matulich would score mostly on an individual effort. Took the ball from the touch line and beat a defender to get to the middle of the box. She fired a shot just outside it and it dipped under the cross bar beating the Weber keeper. The second goal came right at the last minute of the game.

I had to re-watch the game just so I could watch Kennedy Faulknor. It still was hard to watch her with the sun glare on the camera and the fact that she was on the far side of the pitch and the camera was near pitch level. But what I did see showed some promise. I don't know anything about Faulknor but she is technical. She equally good at passing the ball with either her left or right foot. In fact I think its her left foot that is the dominant one because she launched several long passes forward with her lefty. Weber had one good attack in the first half and Faulknor made she she had inside leverage on the player and moved her away from goal and the attacking sequence was snuffed out by Faulknor. So that is good to see. I need to see more but she looks good in her first match. 

Other then that Fleming didn't have any points this game but she played all over the pitch. She will track back and defend and her work rate is very high. I really do want her to sit higher and help the offense but I can see why she would want to help defensively. But selfishly I want to see her score and create. She is a magician with the ball. As some casters have pointed out in the past. 

Edited by Forgedias

UCLA wins 2-1 over University of Virginia
UCLA goals by Ashley Sanchez (1st) and Mackenzie Cerda (3rd) Jessie Fleming would assist on Cerda's goal. 

Was not able to watch this game today, plus this was on the ACC network. There was a recap done by someone that did watch the game and was posted on the big soccer forums for college. Here is the recap by L'orange.

"Saw the game against UVA tonight. UVA came out with a lot of energy, pressed high and had UCLA on its heels for the first 10 minutes of the game. The Cavs had a couple of good scoring opportunities but couldn't convert. UCLA worked its way into the game and then Sanchez made a nifty break behind the center of the UVA defense, got a lovely pass from somebody and finished clinically to give the Bruins the lead. UVA scored on a brilliant little free kick from just outside the box to tie the game going into the half. The Bruins took charge in the 2nd half, kept possession impressively and scored the go-ahead goal on a nifty combination of Fleming to Sanchez to Serta, who finished nicely to give UCLA the go-ahead goal. UCLA dominated possession for most of the second half and made the Cavaliers chase. UCLA is very good technically and dangerous when they get a bit of space in the attacking half. One weakness, IMO, is that the Bruins aren't very tall, overall, and not so good in the air; and not an especially physical team. Fleming is all she's cracked up to be----a playmaker who was all over the field; and Mace is an excellent athlete. The UCLA keeper made a nice save very late in the contest to preserve the win--I think it was UVA's only shot (or two) in the second half. A lot of action in the first half between two young teams, pretty quiet in the second save for the sweet Bruin goal; good win for UCLA."

Here is the youtube highlight from UCLA. Happily they had one up for the game. Not every university has a video highlight of a road game for their club. 

Other comments that were made about the game from the big soccer forums.

From Otelaliga

I watched it too. 
Sanchez was outstanding. Flemming was somewhat quiet as the announcers said in the first half, but I watched her specifically (by far my favorite collegiate player) in the second half. She was popping up everywhere. Coming back to defend at their 18. picking the ball up deeply, always seemed to be an option for the player on the ball- unbelievable work rate. Also of course, carrying forward and yes with the co-assist on the second goal (Sanchez's flick over the last line was terrific). I can't remember for sure if Fleming ever lost possession and most of the time she put her team in a more advantageous position after she relinquished it. She played a beautiful diagonal to one of the forwards late in the second half that should have put her through, but that's just one example. On the other hand, Anika Rodriguez is struggling in Flemming's shadow. 

Virginia I completely agree put tons of pressure on in the first 10. They lacked the finisher to take control of the game. I don't think any of their forwards are particularly dangerous and their attacking mids are similarly lacking a final bite. It is as if Swanson picked the kids with decent footskills and great vision, but forgot to add the last ingredient of finishing bite. I think one or two of his commits for next year may help in that regard will see if their games translate to the higher level. Both Jarrett and Spaanstra are known for their goal scoring abilities.

McClernon was very good in the back, but let Sanchez slip behind her for the first goal. I put that as much on the first year Ivory for not calling out the danger because Sanchez hovered off McClernon's blind side long enough for someone to have noticed. The second goal was almost undefensable.

I would also add, that I think the UCLA attack is the most sophisticated and effective of any I have seen so far. I have watched a lot of college games. They have an obviously terrific combination in Sanchez and Flemming and adding Mace as the direct target to stretch the field allows the other two work their magic underneath.

From Bigwest

have to admit, watching that game last night, it was perhaps the most entertaining and example of how good the women's game should be. My hope is that other schools have this game on tape to show their players

From L'orange

The first half was entertaining as their were chances on both sides. UCLA controlled the second half--more so than I would have expected after seeing the first. Fleming was a joy to watch--and that second UCLA goal was an illustration of their quality in transition. This is a team that you do not want to give much space to. Mace is a strong, fast kid. They are not very physical and that might be a vulnerability against teams that have some muscle and some ball skills--but they're aren't many teams like that.