Going to repost what I wrote on the Big Soccer forums to here. 

UCLA draws with Pepperdine 1-1

Though it shouldn't of been a draw, UCLA should of won this match if not for a disallowed goal on a wrong call for an offside.

I'm going to say I have to question some of the substitutions done by Coach Cromwell this game but I can see why she wanted to try these moves but at 1-0? Not exactly sure why she wanted to take that risk. UCLA did start with their line up that featured Sanchez, Mace and Goralski up top, Fleming, Sheehan, Winter in the midfield and McCullough, Rodriguez, Cerda and Matulich at the back.

To start it off, Pepperdine basically came out with a bunker defense. They basically sat back and allowed UCLA to knock the ball back and forth between the defense and didn't press much. This meant that UCLA had a lot of possession but only a few good looks on goal in the first half. The best look was right at the end of the half, Ashley Sanchez would dribble through 2 defenders and get a cross off and Villacorta would actually get a foot on the ball and score. But it was called offside which was the wrong call since there was a Pepperdine defender defending the line, so how is that offside? In fact the referee's didn't have a good night, there was a hand ball right near the Pepperdine box that they didn't see either. To illustrate how hard they were bunkering in, they didn't register a single shot on goal in the first half. That is how much defending they were doing.

Then the second half started. UCLA actually came out in a very strange line up with Fleming as the holding midfielder and Annika Rodriguez as the 10 in the midfield. They didn't have either Winter or Canales in and you could see Fleming playing very deep in the defensive side for UCLA. I didn't like that formation at all. UCLA did score early in the second half with a long ball that put Haile Mace through and she beat the keeper. But otherwise you had Rodriguez taking most of the touches and either spraying the ball wide in her passes or trying to attack into the box and not doing much with it. She did get a shot off but the keeper saved it. Btw the Pepperdine keeper had a really good game. Brielle Preece played actually pretty amazing. She stood on her head for some of those saves she made.

Despite all this, UCLA was still able to keep most of the possession and Pepperdine were forced to open up and attack to equalize which they would do when Cromwell subbed Fleming out and they scored while she was off the field. Which is strange since she subbed Winter back in. It was off a corner kick and the ball was bouncing in the box and the goal actually went through Teagan Micah legs which in my opinion was a bad goal. Micah isn't an athletic keeper, you can tell how she is slow moving around. At the pro level, to stop those goals, you have to make a kick save and Micah she simply can't make them. Her reaction time is too slow.

Right after this Fleming gets subbed back in but even then UCLA had a hard time trying to force the ball up the field since they had less then 10 minutes left. Pepperdine was playing for the draw and constantly was booting the ball away forcing UCLA to chase.

Then overtime happened. And this is where Preece, the Pepperdine keeper came into her own. She would make 3 stellar saves off Mace who beat 2 defenders to run onto a ball and got a good shot off on Preece, then Fleming who made a diving header and Preece grabbed it out of the air and then off Sanchez where Sanchez would beat 1 or 2 defenders, get close to the 6 yard line and get a shot off, but Preece would parry the ball and send the ball over the cross bar.

Then in the second half, Fleming almost ended the game when she got a ball from Mace who made another run, pulled 2 defenders to her and Fleming was right in the box and she missing the upper corner of the net. That was agonizing to watch.

Other then the 3 saves in the first overtime, Preece was the MVP, she made several other good saves, another great save on Mace previously. The only bad thing is UCLA should of won this match instead of us watching the Preece heroics. That disallowed goal burnt UCLA hard because that should of been a goal and how can the linesman miss that? There was a defender defending the line. You can't call that offside! I just can't understand that horrible referring. That was ugly.

Other then that, I think Coach Cromwell should not be putting Fleming as the holding mid. The entire offense sputtered to a stop with Fleming playing the defensive mid. Plus I am thinking Cromwell needs to go back to last season's formation where Fleming played as the deep or false 9 position for UCLA. 4-3-3 but Fleming slots in as the center forward. Late in the game and in overtime, Fleming moved up to the 9 role and the offense for UCLA came alive. I don't know why UCLA isn't playing Fleming at the 9 to help move the offense. Fleming should get as many touches as she can. And Annika Rodriguez should not play central midfield. She wasn't bad last year but this year, I don't know what is going on with her. She is so focused on pushing the ball up and not linking with her team. Its like she wants to be the one to score and force the issue but if your not linking, then your limiting your options on the offense and that is what Rodriguez is doing right now. 

Other then that Kennedy Faulknor did start the second half but started as the left back. She didn't really play well back there, I think she wasn't used to what her role was since she wasn't pushing far enough and creating outside runs so she got subbed out fairly quickly. For me Fleming really needs to get more touches. She plays far too deep in her side and she does a lot of defense work and can keep its scoreless. The goal by Pepperdine happened when Fleming was subbed off. So Fleming can't be everywhere especially if she isn't on the pitch. I think UCLA really needs to go back to last season's formation where Fleming played as the false 9 position in a 4-3-3 where she plays as the center forward. When Fleming moved up to the 9 position late in the game and in overtime, the offense came alive for UCLA. They had several good shots on goal. We'll see if this draw forces a rework of how Coach Cromwell sets up her line up since UCLA did need more offense, at least more quality looks on goal. 

Edited by Forgedias

I was pretty disappointed by how many times UCLA missed the goal from good scoring positions.  Maybe Preece got into their heads and they thought they had to get it just inside the posts or crossbar, but shot after shot went wide or over.  They also did not use their midfield to good effect as the game went on.  The midfield moved higher up the pitch for attack so the backs didn't have many players to make short passes forward to, and eventually just ended up hoofing the ball up field.  It seemed to me that the UCLA players got frustrated and deviated from their usual possession style of play.

As for the offside that called off the goal, I found it hard to tell from the replays.  The defender did run into the net when the UCLA forward got the ball, but she wasn't there at the time the ball was passed forward towards the net.  I'm inclined to think that it was a valid offside call.  I don't think that call cost UCLA the win, though; it was their missed scoring chances that did that.

Next match will be this Friday but in the future, matches will be played on Thursday and Sunday as a reminder. The Pac12 decided to move to a Thursday/Sunday schedule to give teams more rest in between matches. Note Match time is 2:30pm Pacific time. 

Tomorrow the match will be played at Colorado, their first conference game of the season. It will be on the Pac12 network. Its a different link from the previous one I gave since its for the regional area of Los Angeles and caters to UCLA and USC. This is the Pac12 Mountain area which caters to Colorado and Utah. Here is the link.

http://i4atv.info/ggwpforum/?page=p12moun

Edited by Forgedias

UCLA beats Colorado University 2-0.

Ashley Sanchez (2nd) Sunny Dunphy (1st)
Sanchez would also pick up an assist

UCLA would come out in a 4-4-2 formation. Hailie Mace, Ashley Sanchez would be up top. Jessie Fleming, Viviana Villacorta, Claire Winter, Delanie Sheehan in the midfield. Kaiya McCullough, Karina Rodriguez, Mackenzie Cerda and Zoey Goralski on defense. 

Formation would shift in the game with Villacorta spending some time playing as the defensive midfielder and in the second half, Dunphy would sub in and Mace would play as the holding midfielder as well. I actually liked this formation set up that Coach Cromwell set up. 

If any of you watched the game, then you kind of know what game plan Colorado came out with. They didn't bunker in like Pepperdine did, they played counter when ever they could push the ball up. When either Fleming or Sanchez ever got the ball, you would see Colorado swarm them with either 2 or even 3 defenders and force Fleming or Sanchez to option the pass which was what Colorado wanted. Sanchez normal trade mark dribble into the attacking zone was stopped because Colorado would try to keep 2 players on her all the time when she had the ball. 

Colorado was also playing very physical with Fleming and Sanchez. There were constant clutching and grabbing done all game long and you could see Fleming getting irate over them. It wasn't until Sanchez scored that Colorado was forced to open up and then the yellows started coming out for grabbing. The Colorado player Alex Vidger picked up 2 yellows on fouls to Fleming and Sanchez and was red carded out of the game. The Colorado keeper also should of probably been red carded for last man penalty when Sanchez broke free on a 1v1 on the keeper and Tomkins the keeper grabbed Sanchez outside the box. A yellow was given but it could of easily been a red if you follow the rule of the law. 

The game plan was pretty obvious, slow the offense down by playing very tight to the players. Keep Fleming and Sanchez fronted with at least 2 defenders and then counter when the opportunity arose. That actually almost worked in one instance when the Hulking Colorado player Kornieck who won the rookie of the year honors last year over Fleming almost scored and hit the cross bar. She is 6 feet 1" and did cause some issues for the UCLA defense. But they played well against her. 

There were a couple of hand balls in the game. One that was called for UCLA and one that the ref missed that could of been called for Colorado. The PK that was given for UCLA, I really thought Fleming was going to take it since she took them last year but this year it seems like anyone can demand that they take it. Which I find concerning since if you watched Annika Rodriguez take the PK this game. You would of face palmed how bad she took it. Predictable run  up to the ball and not a hard shot and easy save by Tomkins. I really hope Cromwell gives those PK's to Fleming from now on. They can be very crucial and you can't be as bad as Rodriguez was on that kick. 

As for Fleming. Other then being grabbed all the time and limiting her effect on the field. She did create some good chances. One of them came in the first half, where she got into the box, pulled several defenders to her and then squared a no look pass to Hailie Mace who had time to settle the ball and take a shot. And she missed wide. Pretty much would of been a goal if she hit the frame since Fleming got everyone's attention and Mace had the open look. 

Even though I want Fleming more up top and helping score, she is the total midfielder. Plays the entire midfield and her work rate is impressive. Always tracking back to defend, marking and always trying to create space for passes to herself and to others. 

Kennedy Faulknor didn't get any minutes so hopefully she keeps working hard and in time she will get more minutes.  

Edited by Forgedias

Sarah Kinzner and Camilla Shymka (two Canadians) played decently for Colorado.  Shymka had a great opportunity to score, but put it right into the UCLA goalkeeper's breadbasket, making for an easy save.  Colorado didn't get many chances, so they really needed that one to go in.

I agree that Fleming had a good game.  She rarely coughed up the ball, and showed she doesn't give up when her opponents get a bit physical with her.

Next games will be on Thursday and Sunday. For the last few weeks, UCLA has been only playing one game a week, now for the next 5 weeks or so, there will be 2 games a week. 

Here is the preview link through the UCLA website. 

http://www.uclabruins.com/news/2017/9/27/womens-soccer-no-1-ucla-returns-home-for-pac-12-matches.aspx?path=wsoc

For this week, they will be both Oregon University and Oregon State university. Both will be home games but the Oregon game will not be televised sadly. The Sunday match will be on the Pac12 network. Oregon game will be on 5PM pt and the Sunday game will be 1PM pt. 

Normal Los Angeles Pac12 Link: http://i4atv.info/ggwpforum/?page=p12losa

For those that want to listen to the Thursday game, it is available through the internet. 

This is the link: http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/2016/8/16/live-audio.aspx

UCLA wins 2-0 over Oregon

Goals by Annika Rodriguez and Hailie Mace

Since there was no live stream of the event and only via internet radio. Very hard to make any judgments other then UCLA dominated possession, had the bulk of the shots and way more shots on frame. It would seem the Ducks keeper Halla Hinriksdottir had a very good game, stopping several good shots. 

They had a piece at the start of the game with Coach Amanda Cromwell where they talked about Jessie Fleming. 

- Jessie's job isn't to score but to be the linking player for the team.
- If Jessie wants to score, then Cromwell wouldn't be surprised if she goes on a goal scoring run but last year it was a pleasant surprise that Fleming scored so many goals

- Cromwell points out that teams focus on Fleming and that frees the rest of the team to move forward. Fleming plays the entire field for UCLA. So previously when I said Fleming played the box to box midfielder. Fleming is doing this for UCLA. 

Kennedy Faulknor got subbed in in the second half as a left back. She had some touches but I can't really give any information how well she did. Was she playing deeper into the attacking zone, making over lapping runs with a midfielder. Creating space to find balls sent to her. That I can't tell. 

Otherwise another good game for UCLA. They could of easily scored more goals from what I was hearing. But the Ducks keeper played a good game.  

UCLA wins 4-1 vs Oregon State University

Goals by Hailie Mace (8th, 9th)  Ashley Sanchez (3rd) and Gabrille Matulich (2nd)

UCLA came out in their traditional 4-4-2 formation although they used Delanie Sheehan as the holding mid which is interesting since Claire Winter usually plays that role. The commentators were talking that Coach Cromwell wanted to see more improvement in that position so she is trying out players. 

UCLA would dominate possession right from the get go. Getting 2 quick goals from Mace. One off a free kick which Gabrielle Matulich would get to at the side of the box and then send a pass to Mace who would finish and then Ashley Sanchez with her back to goal would turn on her defender and make a run into the box pulling defenders to block her and then square the ball to Mace who would finish it. 

Mace would then get into the box and get a 1v1 against the OSU keeper but instead of shooting, she would square the ball to Sanchez who would finish into the open side of the net. Going up 3-0. 

The second half, UCLA would sub nearly their entire line up out and give minutes to their bench. Which meant without Fleming or Sanchez who are UCLA's best technical players. Attacks into the box almost stopped. Most of the attacks were sent to the flanks with crosses being sent in. UCLA still had more possession then OSU, but OSU were able to string one attack together and score on it around the 70th minute mark. At this point Fleming was subbed back in to stabilize the midfield. I think from previous comments by Coach Cromwell, where she said that Fleming is the spine of the team, the linking player. we won't see Fleming always on the attack as she was last year. Which is too bad, but UCLA is loaded with attackers so I guess its not necessary but I do love seeing Fleming on the ball attacking. She is very dynamic. 

And its kind of funny that most of the goals that UCLA have conceded have come when Fleming isn't on the pitch and UCLA has subs on the field. It shows how important Fleming is to UCLA and that she got subbed back in when OSU scored.

Kennedy Faulknor also played today. She started the second half in her traditional role as a center back. Not the left back we have been seeing lately. She paired up with Choe Hemmingways who normally doesn't get many minutes herself. Kaiya McCullough and Karina Rodriguez did not play the second half. Faulknor played play, had quite a few touches from the back line since UCLA prefer to build from the back. And actually did push up to move the ball forward and connect with her midfield. Didn't have any turn overs. 

Over all a strong game by UCLA and with the early goals, allowed Cromwell to use her bench more. Just really wish to see Fleming more on the attack is my complaint. I miss her dynamic playmaking. 

I agree about missing Fleming's offense.  I can see why UCLA play her the way they do, but there's less magic in the game.  UCLA are highly successful recruiting talented players, and not giving them time to play is going to make future prospects wonder if it's worth going there.  It's making me think that you can't just recruit every good player that comes your way.  You owe it to them to set them up well for the future, and there's only so many you can do that for.

P.S. Vancouverite Kathryn Baker had her hands full today as CB for OSU, but I thought she came out looking good, despite the final score.  It could have been so much worse for OSU without her back there.

Edited by rkomar

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎01 at 8:18 PM, rkomar said:

I agree about missing Fleming's offense.  I can see why UCLA play her the way they do, but there's less magic in the game.  UCLA are highly successful recruiting talented players, and not giving them time to play is going to make future prospects wonder if it's worth going there.  It's making me think that you can't just recruit every good player that comes your way.  You owe it to them to set them up well for the future, and there's only so many you can do that for.

P.S. Vancouverite Kathryn Baker had her hands full today as CB for OSU, but I thought she came out looking good, despite the final score.  It could have been so much worse for OSU without her back there.

On the other hand it seems, from observing this team this year, that if the "talented player" is successful, meaning they are ready and able to produce in this coaches system they are given an opportunity to play (e.g Delanie Sheehan). I'm sure that most, if not all, the players not getting a lot of minutes could be starters in other programs. Another piece to development, and this playing puzzle, is training. Practicing day in day out against the calibre of players on this squad is very appealing to some players.  If the proper approach is taken to training it can only help them to be better players in the future. Having said all that,  there definitely is an adjustment period when players step up at each level of football. Some make that adjustment easily and others take time. For the latter, train diligently,  perseverance and persistence is my mantra.  

So this weeks games will be both road games in Arizona. Arizona State on Thursday and Arizona University on Sunday. Both of them will be televised. 

Here is the synopsis of the events from the UCLA website. 

http://www.uclabruins.com/news/2017/10/4/womens-soccer-top-ranked-bruins-travel-to-arizona.aspx?path=wsoc

Here are the links:
Arizona State 7pm pacific time on Thursday. 

http://i4atv.info/ggwpforum/?page=p12ariz 

Use this link for both games since its the Arizona region that will broadcast it. 

Arizona will be on 12pm pacific time on Sunday. 

Well sorry about this but it would seem they bumped the Arizona State game off the schedule and moved the USC Trojan women's soccer game against Arizona University in its place. Its a better match up I guess but it does mean UCLA got bumped. Checked the Pac12 page to see what live games were going on and they have the USC/Arizona game and a men's soccer match. So UCLA got bumped. 

Edited by Forgedias

UCLA wins 3-0 vs Arizona State University.

Goals by Hailie Mace (10th and 11th) and Annika Rodriguez (3rd)

So people already know the stream was down in the first half and thankfully CarolynDuthie helped out by pointing out that the stream was back up at the Pac12 site which I didn't check since I was checking the ASU twitter. So thank you

So we'll start with the second half. UCLA came out in their normal formation 4-4-2. Hailie Mace and Ashley Sanchez up top, Jessie Fleming, Annika Rodriguez, Delanie Sheehan and Claire Winters would take the holding midfield spot. Kaiya McCullogh and Karina Rodriguez would both play the full 90. And Jacey Pederson and Zoey Goralski would slot in as the outside backs. 

UCLA has been rotating their holding midfielder for several games now trying to find a permanent starter. So in the first half they had Viviana Villacorta start and then in the 2nd half, Claire Winter played the rest of the game. 

UCLA were already up 1-0 when I started watching and Hailie Mace would make it 2-0 off a penalty kick on a hand ball called in the box. Really hoping Fleming was going to take it since she and Mace were talking at the spot kick but Mace took it and fired a rocket shot that the keeper had no chance on. Annika Rodriguez would make it 3-0 soon after off a perfect pass from Fleming but she actually hit a defender and got the ball back and then finished it. So Fleming was denied an assist off that goal. 

And minutes after those 2 goals, Coach Cromwell started subbing her starters out leaving McCullough and Karina Rodriguez in. She used most of her bench and gave them minutes on the field. 

I never expected ASU to be a big test for UCLA, they gave up 6 goals against Stanford a week earlier. So UCLA should of won this game and unlike Stanford. Cromwell once the game is in hand, will sub her starters out and give her bench minutes. Which is good to see. 

This Sunday UCLA will face Arizona who faced Stanford and gave up only a goal to them unlike their sister team. So it should be a much stronger test since the Wildcats have a better defense.