WCQ Honduras - Canada 2 Sept Pre-game

xabuep2

11 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

He's the same guy with the same simple ideas. His team is no better than us. The difference is he was drawn into an easy group.  Guatemala is the weakest central American country in the round 

Guatemala is far better than El Salvador 

They have the wipping boys in St Vincent. But every team group pounded on them.   They were like the Free spot on the bingo card for every one.  In the last cycle, there was Cuba in our group and they were the wipping boys.   We had the weakest group in last cycle. 

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On September 3, 2016 at 5:21 PM, jonovision said:

But a stray thought: Was that not one of the smaller pitches you've seen a match on, or were my eyes deceiving me? Seemed even smaller than NYCFC at Yankee Stadium.

Dont think so.   Was just watching some clips on You tube.  And, the touch lines were right at the track (There was a track and field track around the pitch).  Given the significant number of matches around the world played on stadiums with tracks, i doubt it would be smaller than usual.   If anything, it would have been wider than normal.  I dont recall seeing a game where players have to practically step on track to take a corner or  make a throw in. 

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

Dont think so.   Was just watching some clips on You tube.  And, the touch lines were right at the track (There was a track and field track around the pitch).  Given the significant number of matches around the world played on stadiums with tracks, i doubt it would be smaller than usual.   If anything, it would have been wider than normal.  I dont recall seeing a game where players have to practically step on track to take a corner or  make a throw in. 

Good ol' Soccer Made In Germany with Toby Charles and it seemed like all the stadia had tracks.  A trip down memory lane!

One thing that dawned on me as I watched the highlights again ... I hardly noticed De Jong all match, which can only be a good thing!  He must have had a steady match, where as the other 3 defenders were very noticed, frequently for bad reasons.  I wonder if Honduras planned to attack Henry more often.

Have been forgetting to post this.

The team was pure shit last night. The defence was way to slow to read and pick up runs, especially James. That could have very well been a penalty had the Honduran striker not gone down early. The fact is we got played off the pitch, we had 26% ball possession in the first half. Now I have no issues with playing defensively (I support Chelsea) but it requires you defend well which they clearly weren't capable of, but it also requires the team to be efficient when they do have the ball, they did almost nothing from open play. 

A lot of these problems have to do with Floro, he complains that Canada lacks the  type of players to play a more attacking/possession based style but he leaves the players that can play that way out of the squad. He also consistently plays players out of position. Most of all his mentality to put not losing first limits for the growth of the team, teams have to grow in confidence and they have to learn to win no matter what the atmosphere.

Maybe Honduras has a more talented team but that doesn't mean we couldn't have won that game if they were properly setup to manage the game, and to actually create some real attacking opportunities

Archived