WCQ Honduras - Canada 2 Sept Pre-game

xabuep2

2 minutes ago, Brethers8 said:

Straith looked good when he came on. I'm disappointed with hutch, he has looked off the boil his last few games with us. The ledgerwood sub blows my mind. Backline looked shit bar straith, shit closing down on their players. Henry, I rate you. But today you laid an egg, and it's another soul crushing defeat. I'm crestfallen

Straith was very, very good in the home against Belize last year. Not sure how he's been since then. So was Piette for that matter.

• Replies 983
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Floro did a poor job for this game.  I really think the game is on him.  

Honestly  not calling up Osorio and Johnson is what did us in.  They could have made a difference .

I was shocked that we played Edgar at MF  but to be honest considering the lack of midfielders Edgar was a good choice and he played well out of position.

Henry isn't a RB  despite what Floro thinks and this also directly lead to the loss.  Either Ledgerwood  or Air would have been much better choices.

I think bringing in Ledgerwood  for Larin was poor  as well.  We conceded the game with 23 minutes to go.

The cumulative effect of poor team selection, poor starting selection and poor substitute  patteno made this an impossible game.  We could have had this and we gave it away.

I was a Floro supporter but I have to concede that we need a new coach.  I expect Floro will resign or be fired next week after our game.

3 minutes ago, SCF08 said:

That's not even good enough. 

Honduras have scored 6 and conceded 6
Canada have scored 2 and conceded 7

If the goal difference is the same than goals scored becomes the decider. If Mexico wins 3-0 and Canada wins 2-0, Honduras will still have scored more goals. 

Canada will have to score at least 3 realistically to stand any sort of chance. Advancing with less than 3 goals would be a miracle and requires a lot of Mexican help.

Floro has brought himself and Canada in a very difficult spot by not going for the draw and going for the narrow loss. 

He was going for the draw, we didn't have the talent to hold it. Did you see the 2nd goal  defending and how quickly we "closed" in on the 1st goal lol.

1 minute ago, Canadian Pride said:

Starting Henry at RB is a reason to fire him?

he tried putting on ledgerwood for some energy since he's a heart and soul guy. I don't love the substitution but I could understand it. Larin was doing nothing like he usually does for Canada and he was tired on top of that... 

Its a culmination of dubious decisions over 4 years. That being one of them. 

Just now, RJB said:

This is awfully petulant.  We were always going to have difficulty, and frankly, to only lose by one is really third best scenario. 

The subs were defensive, but what had we done, all game long to indicate that we could equalize.  We had no chance in the second half, they were that superior and we were absolutely out of gas.  That was so clear.  And so to keep the loss by one actually gives us a chance, believe it or not.

I'm gutted to lose, but when we scored, that was some really good feeling that I had.  That felt so good!  But to lose by one, away in that heat, can't be scoffed at. 

Sure.. it's not an AWFUL result. Although without Borjan, it's closer to that 8-1 score from a few years ago. 

But it doesn't matter whether you believe you're going to score or not. The whole point is the World Cup. You don't play to lose. A +6 differential is nearly impossible. Simeon Jackson was right there on the bench, in game shape, and has scored a bunch of goals in the last few weeks. Why Ledgerwood? 

Not to mention, we should have subbed Hoilett, he was much much worse than Larin. He had nothing left at half-time, let alone at the 90 minute mark.

2 minutes ago, 1Knight said:

Wasn't 8-1, but it sure wasn't close to good enough. Sorry, we just don't have the ability or players at this current time to make Hex, even with good additions this cycle. Back 4 was a mess, felt at times in second half Honduras could have picked their number to score today which was really discouraging. Not sure there is a more uninspiring change that Ledgerwood for Larin. 

That substitution makes me sad. I like(d) floro, but jeeeeeeeeez could you make a more negative substitution?

2 minutes ago, Canadian Pride said:

he tried putting on ledgerwood for some energy since he's a heart and soul guy. I don't love the substitution but I could understand it. Larin was doing nothing like he usually does for Canada and he was tired on top of that... 

Take Larin out then and put in Jackson. SOMETHING. You play to win the game.

4 minutes ago, RJB said:

This is awfully petulant.  We were always going to have difficulty, and frankly, to only lose by one is really third best scenario. 

The subs were defensive, but what had we done, all game long to indicate that we could equalize.  We had no chance in the second half, they were that superior and we were absolutely out of gas.  That was so clear.  And so to keep the loss by one actually gives us a chance, believe it or not.

I'm gutted to lose, but when we scored, that was some really good feeling that I had.  That felt so good!  But to lose by one, away in that heat, can't be scoffed at. 

Much easier to tie today's game up than wing and a prayer it on Tuesday. you wan't to grab control of your own destiny or hope for Mexico to do your dirty work.

The problem is that the CSA accepts poor results. Mexico or central American nations are not scared to fire a coach in the middle of a qualifying campaign. Even if they win games, if they aren't playing well or winning easy, their federations make changes.

Wait till they hire Herdman and we all throw up hearing the news

There was a better chance we get a draw with 30 mins left in that game then there was we win by 3 and honduras loses by 3 nxt game. 

Subbing on a defender for a forward was ridiculous

if we conceded another goal then we had to make up 7 goals nxt game instead of 6. Both are nearly impossible

6 minutes ago, Canadian Pride said:

You want heart and soul? Then bring guys like Will Johnson and Iain Hume from the get-go. 

Some people questioning the larin sub, but when we can't even string together a simple pass in the midfield with most of our best midfielders I think it was probably the best we could do that that point. Another striker isn't going to have any affect when he can't even touch the ball. That's what I get out of that sub at least.

That's mostly on not calling up a few certain midfielders though.

3 minutes ago, dpetzz said:

why don't the media question his decisions....oh wait they are all covering the WNT

The media in Canada don't have a clue bro. It's all Blue Jays NHL hockey, Jr. hockey and "World Cup" (NHL) hockey.  And the few that do know don't get any air time to vent on prime time or they're in the CSA's pocket. 

1 minute ago, mpg_29 said:

I swear the Canadians fans say the same thing as Americans when their team does bad.

If losing

Print"Fire coach"

Elseif

Print "this single player would have made all the difference"

End if

They do but Floro should go. He's done a lot come has failed to deliver in two big tournaments now.

That said, I don't think Will Johnson would of been a difference maker based on recent play.

3 minutes ago, king1010 said:

There was a better chance we get a draw with 30 mins left in that game then there was we win by 3 and honduras loses by 3 nxt game. 

Subbing on a defender for a forward was ridiculous

if we conceded another goal then we had to make up 7 goals nxt game instead of 6. Both are nearly impossible

Mexico beating Honduras 3-0 at home and us beating ELS at home 3-0 is impossible?

3 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Take Larin out then and put in Jackson. SOMETHING. You play to win the game.

Yes I understand but it's not a video game we are playing here. Put on Jackson would not have made a difference , defensively we were sloppy and no body was moving up willing to contribute to the attack, they were so tired. So Jackson probably wouldn't have been helpless.  At that point in the game, 20mins left, we were lucky not to lose by more goals.    At least , although our chances are tough now, it's realistic to score a couple of goals at home against El Salvador and it's possible that Mexico dominates Honduras at Azteca 

Archived