Thomas Gardner

Dub Narcotic

• Born and raised in North Vancouver, BC
  • 64 appearances and 10 goals with Whitecaps FC Residency in USSDA
  • Member of Canada U-17 men’s national team

Gardner, 17, has started 51 of his 64 appearances and scored 10 goals during his time with the Whitecaps FC U-16 squad in the USSDA. In his last year with the U-16 group, Gardner captained the team while starting 16 of his 20 appearances, adding three goals. Additionally, the North Vancouver, BC native also made four appearances with the U-18 Residency team.

On the international level, Gardner has received call-ups to Canada’s U-15 and U-17 national teams. The central midfielder was twice called up to Canada on the U-17 men’s national team camps this past year before missing the 2015 CONCACAF U-17 Championship tournament due to injury.

Signed w/ VWFC2 today.

• 2 years later...
15 minutes ago, BCM1555362349 said:

Won't happen. Indonesia is one of those countries that doesn't allow dual citizens so he'd have to give up his Canadian citizenship to get his Indo passport and play for them.

So, why wouldn't it happen?  He has virtually no shot at ever playing for us.

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Would you give up your CDN passport etc just to get a chance at playing for INDONESIA?? 

If he is doing it out of strong tiesor love for INDO, why not do it before this??  

Of course not...

One guy that did was Sergo van Dijk, who was brilliant in Australia around 2008-12 averaging a goal every other match. From Wikipedia:

"On 19 July 2010, it was reported that van Dijk was to declare for Indonesia, the country of origin of one of his grandparents.[25] However, upon meeting with the Indonesian football authorities, he learned that in order to be able to represent Indonesia, he must earn Indonesian citizenship and give up his Dutch citizenship, as Indonesia does not allow dual citizenship. He refused to decide his international future, citing that it is difficult for him to give up his Dutch citizenship because his wife and their families are Dutch.[26] He eventually decided to revoke his Dutch citizenship in order to play for Indonesia. The Football Association of Indonesia announced that van Dijk is being naturalized, so that he can play in the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualification campaign. On 4 March 2013, he was called up for the first time, in a 2015 Asia Cup qualifier. He made his debut against Saudi Arabia on 23 March 2013."

He's played a total of six matches for Indonesia and is now 35 years old.

Well, the choice was either playing international football or not, and I can see how he got to his conclusion. Seeing that his kids and wife are Dutch, it's easy for him to reside in the Netherlands, whatever his nationality. This could go for Gardner as well, he only wants to reside here (I guess). 

Van Dijk switched at 31, with years of pro soccer already played (money hopefully banked) and his career winding down.  Who knows if Gardner will ever make a living with soccer.  How does getting on the Indo squad help him much?  He would give up the benefits of Cdn citizenship for what??  This sounds like a crazy rumor.  Indonesia is fishing for players.  

Isn't Indonesia banned from FIFA? I remember hearing that they were banned from 2018 World Cup qualifying or something along those lines. If Gardner is in fact trying to play for Indonesia it is probably not the smartest move. There is no benefit in playing for a team controlled by a shady FA.

I think the story is based on what many of us V's have done.  Looked at tranfermarket and pulled every person with possible Indonesian heritage and slapped them up on the website.  Kind of like when Ethan Finlay was getting hounded about maybe playing for canada and that story just wouldnt die.  

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I think the story is based on what many of us V's have done.  Looked at tranfermarket and pulled every person with possible Indonesian heritage and slapped them up on the website.  Kind of like when Ethan Finlay was getting hounded about maybe playing for canada and that story just wouldnt die.  

I think you're right. I saw earlier a list of "40 potential Indonesian players" but if you look maybe 1 or 2 changed nationalities. I think it's a website "he could be eligible" not interest on his part.

And unlike van dijk our lad presumably is not married so it would end up pretty difficult for him to move back without obtaining a work/student/etc visa. I know it's extremely difficult for ex-Americans to get such a visa in the US, and I hope that we too make it just as hard (but somehow doubt we do).

• 10 months later...

Gardner named Canada West Rookie of the Year as well as Player of the Year

Nice article on him prior to the USport Nationals which are taking place in Vancouver:
https://theprovince.com/sports/university/t-birds-tommy-gardner-having-fun-in-push-for-national-soccer-title?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1541553593

Listed as 1 of the University players to watch by the CPL:
https://canpl.ca/article/seven-university-players-to-watch-ahead-of-inaugural-cpl-u-sports-draft

Archived