Joe MacCarthy

Players Retain Legal Counsel in Fight Against Artificial Turf at 2015 Women’s World Cup

On 9/17/2016 at 8:45 PM, Joe MacCarthy said:

Pretty much every major field in Canada can be considered third generation and we basically have the best of what is out there.  I find British articles somewhat confusing as they seem to mention 4G surfaces when there is no such thing.  That's a marketer's way of trying to differentiate one 3G surface from another. Rest assured that all our new stadiums got the very best surface available.

Lest I be corrected, in Canada we basically skipped the second generation and went from an "AstroTurf" type field to a "FieldTurf" like field.

There may have been a few more "2G" fields but the only one I can recall at the moment was "OmniTurf" in Regina.

From my understanding 4G is a bit of a misnomer. It is more like 3.1 G and only Commonwealth Stadium has it. It's called Hydrochill and I think it's proprietary to Shaw Sports. Basically something in the infil or the Turf retains moisture even after the water has drained. Thus when the turf is moistened, it has the effect of cooling the surface and material and allowing it to evapourate and stay cooler. I don't think it has a actual effect on how the turf plays physically. It just stays cooler and is more comfortable for atheletes to play on.

http://www.shawsportsturf.com/gtr-installs-shaw-sports-turf-and-hydrochill-at-commonwealth-stadium/

I honestly don't know how often (if at all) Commonwealth waters the turf though. It's kind of counterintuitive to water an artificial surface.

I should also note, that the Big O uses a product called Xtreme Turf (based out of Austin) and I don't think it's to the same standard as FieldTurf Revoultion, which I believe every artificial turf venue uses, save Commonwealth, BC Place and SkyDome; who use comparable Shaw Sports, Polytan and AstroTurf surfaces.

Edited by -Hammer-