Provincial Flags for WWC U20 matches in Toronto

During last year's Gold Cup several people brought or arranged to get provincial flags into the supporters section at both Seattle and Denver. I can't say it was a smash success, but it was fun and added some colour to the section.

It would be fun to try this again and add any flag ... provincial, municipal, etc ... to increase the impact of the colour party.

However, before I try to start nagging people to bring flags, can we even have them in BMO for this? I get the impression that this is going to be low-key from the supporter perspective.

So far we have -

BC - Ben

AB - Ben

SK - Rob

ON - Sam

QC - Sam

NS - Cal

We will need volunteers to carry one of Ben's and one of Sam's flags.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have SK of course. I believe Smiddy is bringing his old classic Canada flag. Hoping Ben has BC.

Maybe Finch can send his NL flag and someone can fly it for him.

Cal with NS?

Still this might not happen because of the security situation, but I will wait for someone else who is more in the know to weigh in on that.

It was a smash success on the walk over Rob...only problem was that we weren't allowed to take our dangerous 2 foot plastic poles into the arena, as the security was pretty certain that our flag bearing was simply a front to our murderous, plastic spear-thrusting ways.  

Although if the game we watched was against Honduras, I suppose there could have been some validity to that argument.  Last year most people used 5 foot flags, Bobbo...

Chuckle. Plastic spear thrusting ...

Ryan, Les from security googled you and found you were a martial arts instructor. Therefore the flag poles had to go.

lol yeah well actually Les, that jolly guy, probably would have let us bring them in.  Little does he know that HIIIYAAAAH

I don't have a provincial flag, but I will bring my Canadian flag.  I was thinking of picking up this portable "hide-a-pole

I imagine if poles aren't allowed, I wouldn't be able to fly it in the stadium because they would see me doing that, but I could at least conceal it and keep it with me so I wouldn't have to leave it at the gate.  Does anyone have any experience with a pole like that?  Is this a dumb plan?

In my experience they either let you in or confiscate them. No middle ground. That's why in the past I've brought $1 broom handles from the dollar store for flag poles. Then if we have to ditch them it is no great loss.

Ok.  I think the $1 route seems like the safer bet :)

• 2 weeks later...

There are maybe 30 PVC flag poles in storage at BMO, somewhere under section 117(ish). If we are allowed to use poles I will try to arrange to get some brought out. It's kind of hit or miss getting someone with a key but I will try. It depends on who is running the show that day. I have a 9 by 5 Canadian flag that I will be bringing to both Canada games.

Archived