2016 Copa America Centenario

Tuscan

The format for the playoffs to qualify for the 2016 Copa America from 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup has been announced today.

In the event of USA, Mexico, Jamaica or Costa Rica winning the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup, there will be two playoff matches to determine which team will qualify:

• The highest placed team excluding the four above will play fourth placed team excluding the four above.
  • The second highest placed team excluding the four above will play third placed team excluding the four above.

If a national team outside of USA, Mexico, Jamaica or Costa Rica win the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup:
  • The Gold Cup champion will automatically qualify for the 2016 Copa America
  • The highest placed team excluding the four above will play the second highest placed team excluding the four above to determine the sixth CONCACAF team to qualify.
Also, there's going to be a new trophy. So it's not the Argentine trophy dating back to 1916 that will be awarded.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quarters should do get us into the playoffs, but there's an extremely remote scenario where even 4th place wouldn't be enough.

New trophy sounds good, looking forward to it.  As classic as the images of Forrest etc from 2000 are, the trophy's always looked a bit plastic and tacky.

New trophy sounds good, looking forward to it.  As classic as the images of Forrest etc from 2000 are, the trophy's always looked a bit plastic and tacky.

Not that trophy.

This is the one that's being replaced:

Copa-America-trophy.jpg

A newly released document by the organiser says that a "Specially designed trophy [will be] unveiled at [the] Copa America Chile 2015 Final on July 4, 2015"

Reasons why we have a good chance:

1) We are going to be in a group with Costa Rica and I assume Jamaica will be in our group as well (both have qualified and both are teams we have beat at the Gold Cup in the past 10 years)

2) Reaching the quarters of the Gold Cup will in all likelihood put us in the playoff

3) Playoff will be on neutral ground, where we are traditionally at our best

My only real fear is who the 4th team in the group is.  Safe to assume it's a Central American country so is it Panama or Honduras?  That is trouble, so let's hope for Guatemala or El Salvador

If the CONCACAF powers that be are smiling on us (how is it still a hand picked draw in this region?) we will see a group similar to 2007 (CR, 2 small islands and us).. if not and it's 2009 it will be (CR, Jamaica, El Salvador).  I'm thinking it will be the latter as we've fallen off so much lately that a group with us and CR as top dogs would be too weak. 

Pretty spot on I should say.

3d2eda06398a62535e31f1ffbbae56305d982d0a

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My view on how we will get into this tourney.

Here are the groups:

USA Costa Rica Mexico

Panama El Salvador Guatemala

Haiti Jamaica Trinidad

Honduras Canada Cuba

As I see it, the USA and panama will each get wins over Haiti and Honduras, leaving Honduras with 3 and being the worst 3rd place team. We finish 2nd or 3rd with 4 points (I hope) with El Salvador finishing last. The last group leaves cuba in fourth place and the other third place finisher is from there.

USA, Panama, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, Trinidad and Tobago are the quarter finalists.

I left out Honduras because it's very likely... As they have slipped the last year or so finished 5th in Central America to qualify here and they have to go up against the USA and panama. Usually only 3 points isn't enough to go through as third place.

That means getting to the quarters we have got a playoff game against either trinidad, Guatemala or panama. I'd say we would have a good shot as any.

Remember us, Mexico, cr and Jamaica have already qualified.

Resignation of Blatter puts this further into doubt (slightly dated article)

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/02/2016-copa-america-centenario-in-the-usa-to-be-cancelled/

The Copa Centenario was conceived and organized by Jeffery Webb (head of concacaf) and Nicolas Leoz (head of conmebol).  Both were arrested following the corruption scandal, Leoz is in house arrest in Paraguay and last I heard Webb was in custody in Switzerland.  Needless to say the entire organization of the Copa Centenario must have been totally corrupt.

Conmebol and Concacaf have to re-organize the thing from top to bottom if it is to go ahead.  

These are the latest articles I found on the Copa Centenario.  Basically its up in the air, Conmebol is going to talk about whether to proceed with the Copa Centenario during this years' Copa.   

http://www.20minutos.com/noticia/b80994/tesorero-conmebol-sobre-la-mesa-futuro-copa-centenario/

http://www.espnfc.com/copa-america/story/2487624/conmebol-set-to-debate-the-future-of-2016-copa-america

That means getting to the quarters we have got a playoff game against either trinidad, Guatemala or panama. I'd say we would have a good shot as any.

Remember us, Mexico, cr and Jamaica have already qualified.

Id rather avoid panama. Trinidad and guatamala are fine.

Archived