2016 Copa America Centenario

Tuscan

So it looks like CONCACAF's inclusion in the Copa America will happen. Nothing has been officially announced, but the fat dude on BEINSport apparently has the scoop. Looks like the top two finishers in next summer's Gold Cup will be rounding out CONCACAF's reps in the competition. The US and Mexico have seemingly already been given a bye into the competition, which makes me wonder how much they both paid to get that. It really seems like the US and Mexico are in bed with each other despite having such a "rivalry" on the pitch. As for our chances, we'll have to beat out Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, and Jamaica just to name four nations currently ahead of us in the CONCACAF standings.

http://www.beinsports.tv/news/article/1wdpcaova76ty1kxaaei63w820/title/copa-america-centenario-coming-to-usa

[insert blind optimism here]

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it looks like CONCACAF's inclusion in the Copa America will happen. Nothing has been officially announced, but the fat dude on BEINSport apparently has the scoop. Looks like the top two finishers in next summer's Gold Cup will be rounding out CONCACAF's reps in the competition. The US and Mexico have seemingly already been given a bye into the competition, which makes me wonder how much they both paid to get that. It really seems like the US and Mexico are in bed with each other despite having such a "rivalry" on the pitch. As for our chances, we'll have to beat out Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, and Jamaica just to name four nations currently ahead of us in the CONCACAF standings.

http://www.beinsports.tv/news/article/1wdpcaova76ty1kxaaei63w820/title/copa-america-centenario-coming-to-usa

[insert blind optimism here]

It's the US, Mexico, the winner of the Copa Centroamericano (Honduras, Panama or Costa Rica), the winner of the Caribbean Cup (Jamaica) then the next two highest finishers in the Gold Cup. So we'd only have to finish above two of Honduras, Panama and Costa Rica. 

"However, yesterday the president of the Honduran football federation announced that has changed. Rafael Leonardo Callejas revealed that the next champions of the Central American UNCAF Cup and the winners of the upcoming Caribbean Cup would automatically earn a spot in the Copa America Centenario. The top two nations in next year's Gold Cup among the rest of the CONCACAF nations will grab the final two berths in the 2016 event."

Ya, this is going to seriously kill our chances.

Of all the people to announce this, it would have to be the president of the Honduran football federation. Puto.

Right on Sam.

No hand outs to a nation ranked 110 in the world, I am shock so many are surprise.  Win and we're in..simple as that.  To further this, we should have to earn our way into the Gold Cup just like we will to Copa America and WC.  once we are region powers like Mexico and USA we can start expecting some handouts....

The Caribbean Cup winner? Someone in CONCACAF must have been trading votes for this tournament to get a spot.
I guess I expected too much from the new regime under Jeffrey Webb.

I wonder if Martinique and Guadeloupe are eligible.

I can agree with you there Keegan, quite low standard of competition to get a automatic spot.  Having said that - there is a major plus....we have to come top two of all teams not already qualified....essentially that could be top 6 in the Gold Cup (unlikely), more likely top 5...f*ck it were going to lift the trophy in 2015

Would be great experience participating as a guest in a future Copa Centroamerica or Caribbean Cup....exactly the conditions we need to participate in leading up to our next WCQ

If we apply this formula to previous years:

Mex, USA - direct

Costa Rica, Cuba - region champs

Pan, Hon - GC semi finalists

Mex, USA

Honduras, Jamaica - region champs

Panama, Costa Rica - GC semi finalist, quarter finalist with most group stage points

Mex, USA

Panama, Jamaica - region champs

Honduras, Costa Rica - GC semi finalists

(Our quarterfinal appearance is not good enough)

Mex, USA

Costa Rica, Haiti - region champs

Canada, Honduras - GC semi finalist, quarter finalist with most group stage points

(Honduras qualifies because semifinalist Guadeloupe is not a FIFA member)

So yes, most likely we will have to make the semifinals for the first time since '07 to qualify for this tournament.  

With our new coach, it should not be so much "if", but rather "when".

I think people overlook how shit our players our. A coach can only take a team so far. 

But that being said semis in the Gold Cup are by no means out of reach. 

As much as this will be an excellent tournament, I think that it loses it's charm by being played in the USA.  The hundredth anniversary of the Copa America, not being played in South America.  It's all about the money I guess.

Now, if this is the start of a new tournament then that's great, and disregard most of what I said above.  But I keep hearing that it's a one-off.

I think it's a test tournament for a greater Pan-American tournament to be held every 4 years.

A quadrennial Pan-American tournament similar to the Euro's could make a huge amount of money and grow the game more than anything.  Also the extra "points" available from all the matches would help the world ranking for a team like Canada because we don't get consistent big game tournaments.

It would set up a true 4 year cycle for soccer in the Western Hemisphere. - World Cup, Gold Cup (Pan-Am qualifying), Pan-Am, World Cup qualifying. 

It's a dream, but in a way it could make great sense. 

To me this is a consession. Gold Cup is just not good enough so we need to buy into this Hemi-Cup.

There's no reason to not have a Gold Cup every 4 years and hype it more. Move it around. It amounts to a lack of any regional pride so we'll take the easy route of buying into some other regions tourney and look at it with more prestige.

In the end it means more games to watch. Let's hope it means more games for Canada...

CONCACAF has confirmed the format for the tournament: http://www.concacaf.com/article/concacaf-and-conmebol-announce-agreement-to-bring-copa-america-2016-to-the-united-states

Canada would have to make it to semi-finals of 2015 Gold Cup for a chance to qualify. Depending on who else makes the semi-finals, Canada may need to win a playoff.

"The final two CONCACAF teams to earn a ticket to the Centennial Cup America 2016 will be determined by a four-team playoff. The four national teams advancing furthest in the 2015 edition of the CONCACAF Gold Cup that are not the ones already qualified to the Centennial Cup America via the above mentioned criteria (Mexico, the United States, CFU winner and UNCAF winner), will dispute playoff matches to determine the final two CONCACAF qualifiers to the Centennial America Cup.

The teams advancing to the playoff round will be seeded one through four according to their performance in the 2015 Gold Cup. The highest seed will then face the fourth seed, and the second seed will face the third seed in a playoff doubleheader, with the winners of each of those two matches advancing to the Centennial Cup America."

Canada would have to make it to semi-finals of 2015 Gold Cup for a chance to qualify. Depending on who else makes the semi-final, a playoff will be required.

That's now how I read it - there will be a 4-team playoff either way, and in fact a QF spot might be enough to get there.

I prepared a summary of what Canada have to do to qualify, but BrennanFan's post on the first page sums it up best - semis is the only way to lock it in.  Even then I'd expect us to be 4th seed based on what will likely be a series of 1-0 and 0-0s.

Archived