2016 Copa America Centenario

Tuscan

Some info from Steven Sandor.....everyone that needs to qualify has 2 chances to qualify except for Canada.

http://the11.ca/2014/05/01/csa-president-says-canadians-should-focus-on-qualifying-for-copa-america-not-bellyaching-over-the-process/

Well yeah, once you realize CFU and UNCAF tournaments can qualify a team directly, that's the logical follow-through.  I think it was considered here when it was first raised a couple of weeks ago.

For once I have to agree with the CSA, this tournament was clearly intended to capitalize on Latin/Caribbean communities in the states, the way CONCACAF is run we're lucky to get a shot at all.  Let's take this Gold Cup seriously and try to win the damn thing (still have no idea why the hell we sent a 'B' team last year despite being out of WCQ)

EDIT: anyone else thinking this might help lead to the Gold Cup outside of the US that Jeffrey Webb was talking about?  After US hosts GC2015 and this in 2016, then maybe 2017 could be our year...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since the USA, Mexico and the UNCAF champion almost always make it to the Gold Cup quarter-finals, 4 out of the other 5 quarterfinalists would qualify for the Copa playoff. If the CFU champs advance to the QF too (a lot less certain) all 4 of the other quarterfinalists will qualify for the playoff.

So basically, 2nd place in our Gold Cup group should be enough to qualify for the playoffs even if we don't make it to the semi-final.

Is there any indication when the four-team playoff will happen?

To me this is a consession. Gold Cup is just not good enough so we need to buy into this Hemi-Cup.

There's no reason to not have a Gold Cup every 4 years and hype it more. Move it around. It amounts to a lack of any regional pride so we'll take the easy route of buying into some other regions tourney and look at it with more prestige.

I tend to agree with this.

If CONCACAF spent more time improving the legitimacy of its tournaments, there wouldn't be much need for us to hop on another federation's competition. It does take away from South America's centennial anniversary tournament to have it hosted in the US, but I suppose CONMEBOL were convinced to go the CONCACAF route and take the easy cash grab while disregarding future implications they may have.

Qualifying for this tournament, from a CONCACAF perspective, is a joke because its uneven. It doesn't matter that we're ranked 110th, the qualifying process should be equal for everyone. The fact that we get one shot, while every other nation on the continent gets two (or automatic qualification) is exactly the type of crap that CONCACAF routinely dishes out as 'normal' and suffers, from a legitimacy standpoint, for.

The Gold Cup is not good enough because of CONCACAF looking for more easy cash grabs from it. It should be moved to every four years to create a more 'event' feel to individual Gold Cups, and there should be a proper qualifying cycle for it. We (Canada) shouldn't be automatically qualifying. Its hosts should be rotated as well. Mexico would do a good job with it, so can joint or individual hosting duties from countries such as Panama, Costa Rica, Guatemala, and so forth. Canada can be given a Gold Cup, it would only grow the sport here. The fact that the US gets it because CONCACAF likes the cash grab is an absolute joke.

As for our chances to qualify for the Copa America Centenerio, I think, at this point, Floro has to start working towards making us a top-6 CONCACAF nation in the 'near to mid' future (the 2015 GC is only a year away). Our biggest tests in the next few years will be qualifying for this tournament, and WCQ, which will start at a similar time. If we aren't going to make the 2018 WC, the hex should be a goal we set as a standard of a successful WCQ campaign. Both the Hex and the 2016 Copa tournament essentially require us to be a top-6 CONCACAF nation, so its time for us to start working towards that. And, 'top-6' doesn't have to be reflected in official FIFA rankings, it should more-or-less be our on-field form in the next couple of years. It'll be a tough task because of how low our talent pool currently is, but we do have up-and-coming players who can be developed into a solid team.

I think the prestige of the Gold Cup will be measured by the success of CONCACAF countries at this World Cup.  Particularly Costa Rica and Honduras.  Right now, CONCACAF is always thought of as two teams, and a bunch of insignificant nations.  

UEFA and CONMEBOL have all the prestige on the world stage because of their success.  I'm not sure how you legitimatise CONCACAF without more success, such as a team finally cracking the semi-finals, or a team outside of our traditional 2 getting out of the group stage. 

this tournament was clearly intended to capitalize on Latin/Caribbean communities in the states

Qualification has been set up this way because the Caribbeans and Central Americans are strong voting blocks in CONCACAF, but those communities in the states aren't important to the commercial goals of this tournament.

• 3 weeks later...

When Benito Floro talks about Canada going into the Gold Cup with a goal of making the semi-finals I wonder if he is more specifically refering to a goal to qualify for this tournament. 

I have a lot of respect and admiration to Floro for saying that. Its exactly what I want to hear from our MNT coach. Setting goals and standards is a good approach to getting our program to a respectable level, and it looks like he has a good plan which he's been working on since the day he showed up.

Having said that, my cynical Canadian supporting heart refuses to get excited. It feels like we've either heard this stuff before, or have been let down too often in general. That's nothing against Floro though, because he's said exactly what I think the MNT should be doing. I do like the fact that he used the word 'goal' instead of something like 'guarantee'.

Why is Max bell saying Floro guaranteed the semis?  If he did guarantee the semis he didn't include the quote in that story. 

I don't like guarantees anyway, it's an amateur move this isn't a hollywood movie.  It puts unnecessary pressure on the squad.. remember De Rosario guaranteeing we would beat the US in the 2007 Gold Cup semis?

Canada could win the gold cup and not qualify for the Copa. Not likely but it is the qualification format chosen.

Absolute BS.  We need to have a second crack at this competition like every other CONCACAF nation.  Literally, even St. Lucia could potentially have 2 chances to qualify for this tournament and we don't!!

Hell even have a 3 team tournament with Mexico and the USA with the top 2 moving into the tournament automatically.  ANYTHING. 

Why can't we get into the Copa Centroamerica or the Caribbean Cup?!  It's a farce and we're being denied a chance at the biggest tournament this continent will have ever hosted. 

Absolute BS.  We need to have a second crack at this competition like every other CONCACAF nation.  Literally, even St. Lucia could potentially have 2 chances to qualify for this tournament and we don't!!

Hell even have a 3 team tournament with Mexico and the USA with the top 2 moving into the tournament automatically.  ANYTHING. 

Why can't we get into the Copa Centroamerica or the Caribbean Cup?!  It's a farce and we're being denied a chance at the biggest tournament this continent will have ever hosted. 

The funny thing is, if we were to go on and win the gold cup then lose the play off against the #4 seed.

You would have the winners of the Copa Centroamerica and the Caribbean Cup but not the winner of the gold cup!  

That is just silly.

it was said best on the earlier thread too much voting power in the Carribbean and Central America...its understandable USA and Mexico get auto bids...but the other bids should be fought for on the pitch

So if we created a North America football federation with the States and Mexico would we have more voting power?  The States and Mexico clearly don't think about this since as the two heavyweights with the best leagues they already have the best two leagues and national teams and thus significant influence.  But guess what?? We have a pretty significant stake in one of those leagues and we deserve to be heard and counted AT LEAST on equal footing with these countries.  That is like every team in UEFA being a part of a mini alliance and holding voting power but one country isn't affiliated to anyone and suffers due to it. 

A NAFU tourney should be organized . The winner goes automatically to Copa Centenario. But as you said , USA and Mexico are already in .

Doesn't matter if the Copa Centenario will be played again or no . The CSA must insist that team Canada participates every two years for the Gold Cup qualification , one cycle in the UNCAF tournament , and other cycle in CFU . Otherwise Canada will be isolated in its own confederation , and will lost important ranking points ....

I understand what everyone is saying, but we've only ever had to qualify for the Gold Cup once. We get our own special treatment too. And we were 11th last time out and 9th the time before that. And we still get a free pass to 2015.

Obviously this format is for the benefit of the Caribbean nations. I think it's fair to say someone from UNCAF was going to qualify no matter the format and this way it makes the UNCAF championship truly mean something. So I don't really have a problem with that. Does Jamaica (who host the Digicel Cup) deserve the huge advantage their getting? No. But I'm over it.

The way I look at it, the Gold Cup doesn't even have a draw. We could get "placed" into a horrible group. And considering our no goal outing in 2013 it wouldn't be surprising. Sure we could win the Gold Cup and not go, but we could also be stuck in a loaded group, and lose to Mexico in a quarterfinal and still make the Centenario playoffs.

cheers,

matthew

But even if we could get in the Central America or Caribbean Cup and not qualify it would be a INVALUABLE.  From a rankings perspective and from an experience perspective.  Really hope we can sneak our way in there, I think we would be welcome competition for either cup. 

But even if we could get in the Central America or Caribbean Cup and not qualify it would be a INVALUABLE.  From a rankings perspective and from an experience perspective.  Really hope we can sneak our way in there, I think we would be welcome competition for either cup. 

How about a greater Canadian Cup with Greenland, St. Pierre/Miquelon, and Turks & Caicos? ;)

Really we should have a home and away cup with the states at least every two years.  Sure we would get whooped usually but MLS would be onboard, the US could try out domestic players and it would be a huge benefit to Canada to increase visibility and get some great competition.  Makes sense from both angles.

Everybody else in Concacaf has their little banana republic cups - Canada's lack of competition and competitive fixtures is the major issue for the program going forward in my mind.

Once this was rumoured, I've dreamed / wondered what it could mean for Canadian Soccer.  I assume this will be the beginning of the end of CONCACAF.  If the USA and MEX could, they would jump ship.

If this was properly qualified for ... with USA as host and taking away the CFU teams that have either chose not to be members of FIFA or attempt to qualify, that leaves 44 nations.  Let's mock draw it.  8 qualifying groups, top 2 qualify.  Pot 1 (BRA, COL, URU, ARG, CHI, MEX, ECU); Pot 2 (HON, CRC, PAN, VEN, PER, PAR, BOL, SLV) Pot 3 (TRI, HAI, JAM, CUB, CAN, GUA, DOM, VIN) Pot 4 (SUR, LCA, GRN, ATG, BLZ, PUR, GUY, SKN) Pot 5 (ARU, BRB, DMA, NCA, CUW, MSR, VIR, VGB, AIA, TCA).  Note, Extra team in Group A and B.

Wow, what a bunch.  Canada is clearly in Pot 3.  So given any draw, could we piggy back over any team in Pot 2? PAN? SLV? I think it would be tough with VEN, PER, PAR, BOL.

Once this was rumoured, I've dreamed / wondered what it could mean for Canadian Soccer.  I assume this will be the beginning of the end of CONCACAF.  If the USA and MEX could, they would jump ship.

Why would the US and Mexico jump ship? They can qualify in CONCACAF. The US would never qualify in CONMEBOL. Mexico would qualify once every 12 years or so. Unless the number of spots in CONCACAF goes down to 1.5, I can't see them leaving.

Answer this question...Australia could always qualify out of OFC, so why did they jump to AFC?

Quality of competition equals better chance for world success...friendlies are never quite the same as competitive games in Cup competitions.  That's why being included in this competition is such a big deal for USA.

Answer this question...Australia could always qualify out of OFC, so why did they jump to AFC?

Quality of competition equals better chance for world success...friendlies are never quite the same as competitive games in Cup competitions. That's why being included in this competition is such a big deal for USA.

Australia could not always qualify. OFC only has 0.5 spots so one reason they switched was for an easier qualification seeing as AFC has 4.5

Australia could not always qualify. OFC only has 0.5 spots so one reason they switched was for an easier qualification seeing as AFC has 4.5

That's a fair point.  For years they got top in OFC and lost the confed play-off.  Only when they went to the AFC did they consistently qualify.  I think they were a little hard done by to not qualify in 1994.  

But who knows, perhaps Australia improves with more consistent competitive matches against teams like Japan, Iran, S. Korea, Saudi Arabia rather than New Zealand and a bunch of also rans.  I would think the option to play those games for cups can only help Australia

Archived