Should Canada have to qualify for the gold cup?

Lets not forget us, can we afford to fly there? What players would even get released or want to play, if we struggle to get guys to come to the actual tournament.

I would imagine that they could afford it. It would be a team of MLS, NASL Scandinavian leagues and unattached players (plus one guy that you don't understand why is there even though he's not like the players I mentioned.)

how much good that prelim round did our team before the semi final group stage in WCQ. WTF?

I agree that extra games are good for preparation but did you watch how we played in the semi-final group or the preliminary round for that matter? Extra games are better than no games but the key part is how you use them to prepare. In the recent WCQ we played bad in the preliminary round and that prepared us to play bad in the semi-final round.

Yes, with all all respects I watched every game. I am right there with you on our technical and tactical failings.

What I meant is that I believe that extra qualifying round gave us far better prep for the semi final round than in the last three odd qualifying cycles. Yes, we played like ****e many times over, but we did manage to gather 10 points which is the best we have done in a long time.

One of the biggest problems in cycles past is that the CSA and staff have totally inadequately prepared the teams for the semis, when we used to qualify automatically. At least this time we had six games which helped the team play together more often. I firmly believe had we not played that extra round, we would have done even worse than we actually did.

Yes, with all all respects I watched every game. I am right there with you on our technical and tactical failings.

What I meant is that I believe that extra qualifying round gave us far better prep for the semi final round than in the last three odd qualifying cycles. Yes, we played like ****e many times over, but we did manage to gather 10 points which is the best we have done in a long time.

One of the biggest problems in cycles past is that the CSA and staff have totally inadequately prepared the teams for the semis, when we used to qualify automatically. At least this time we had six games which helped the team play together more often. I firmly believe had we not played that extra round, we would have done even worse than we actually did.

Ok if you put it like that than I agree, ie. we did not play well in the semi-final group stage but yes we might have played even worse had we not played in the preliminary round. Playing together more often does improve the team by default. But instead of learning different tactics and formations and how to break down teams that are bunkering we learned how to play dull Stephen Hart ball with the same tactics against every possible team in every possible situation. We might have been even worse without these games but for the most part they were a squandered opportunity. Hopefully if we end up in qualifying rounds like this under Floro he will use them to properly prepare the team for the next round.

Found this interesting article and agree with a lot of what the author has to say.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1695226-concacaf-gold-cup-is-in-desperate-need-of-a-revamp

They should link up some of the sponsorship and viewing audiences of north america with the competitive CONMEBOL teams of south america and every one comes out ahead. Establish a pre-qualification phase for 4-6 teams from CONCACAF to participate and actually make the tournament more meaningful. Would love to see how a stronger future Canadian A-team would stack up against some of the south american powers.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone plays 2 of the following: Brazil, Uruguay, Chile or Argentina. Those who get scored on the least go to the Gold Cup.

Seriously I don't want to give up anything. I want us to play better. I would rather trade one or two friendlies against decent competition than 3 or 4 against minnows. Even if we slaughter the minnows (not a given at this point) what have you learned?

If we give it up we may still end playing down to that level as we have a tendency to do.

Let's see what our new coach wants.

Found this interesting article and agree with a lot of what the author has to say.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1695226-concacaf-gold-cup-is-in-desperate-need-of-a-revamp

Maybe I've completely missed the boat, but the winner of this tournament gets to go into a Confed Cup qualifying playoff now with the '15 winner? When did that happen?

I feel dumb for continously harping on how meaningless this tourney was now

Everyone plays 2 of the following: Brazil, Uruguay, Chile or Argentina. Those who get scored on the least go to the Gold Cup.

Seriously I don't want to give up anything. I want us to play better. I would rather trade one or two friendlies against decent competition than 3 or 4 against minnows. Even if we slaughter the minnows (not a given at this point) what have you learned?

If we give it up we may still end playing down to that level as we have a tendency to do.

Let's see what our new coach wants.

Bah! I'll trade everything for a Voyageurs caribbean sh!t festival every two years in the winter someplace warm.

:D

perhaps I am reading that wrong, but are you suggesting that qualifying though Central America would be us playing minnows? Panama, Honduras, and Costa Rica are legit teams and all better than us. El Salvador and Guatemala are on the same level as us. The only two minnows are NIcaruaga and Belize, and we would only get one of those teams in our group. Groups would look something like this:

Honduras

Panama

Guatemala

Belize

Costa Rica

El Salvador

Canada

Nicaruaga

So that would certainly not be three or four games against minnows if you ask me....

Problem is, why would Central America want to include us? They have nothing to gain outside of making an even 8. If anything it reduces the chance that one of the top 5 teams advance to the GC. We would probably have an easier time convincing the caribeean to let us qualify through their region. What do you all think of that? Would you guys support that? I think Central America would be better for us due to stiffer completion and experience playing in hostile environments, but there is a much greater risk of not qualifying. I like our chances more when T&T, Jamaica, Haiti, and Cuba are our stiffest competition, and as we have seen Guadeloupe and Martinique are no pushovers either, but overall this tourney maybe easier for to qualify in while still giving us some quality games in the heat on some poor surfaces.

No way CFU or UNCAF want Canada participate in their Gold Cup qualification tournaments. It doesn't make economic success to have Canada fly to their region to play against them. Who's going to cover the expenses? CONCACAF? CFU? UNCAF? CSA? Host nation?

A better idea would be a playoff round (2 game series) between Canada (or weaker North American team) against either CFU or UNCAF team for final Gold Cup spot. Even then, it wouldn't make sense for poorer team travel to Canada due to lack of resources.

So we're stuck with Canada getting automatic spot in Gold Cup.

Maybe a better solution will be if North American teams (Canada, USA and Mexico) play in North American championship and force Bermuda back to NAFU? Make all North American teams qualify for Gold Cup not just Canada.

I know there is no incentive to let Canada play in either tournament from their perspective, and while I think we would have a better shot convincing CFU, I really should acknowledge that even this is unlikely. It is also unlikely that US and Mexico would ever have to qualify as long as the GC depends on Ameican infrastructure and Mexican ticket sales.

I know there is no incentive to let Canada play in either tournament from their perspective, and while I think we would have a better shot convincing CFU, I really should acknowledge that even this is unlikely. It is also unlikely that US and Mexico would ever have to qualify as long as the GC depends on Ameican infrastructure and Mexican ticket sales.

Then it's pointless for Canada to do anything about it. Just enjoy free spot in Gold Cup. :)

Archived