Jason DeVos working on his UEFA "A" licence

jpg75

...and he's blogging about it:

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=425722

Day one of the UEFA 'A' licence (part 2) was broken up into four different lectures. To say that there was a lot of information to process would be an understatement of enormous proportions.

The first lecture, which ran from 9:30am-12:30pm was delivered by Billy Dixon, a performance coach from Portadown, NI. Billy has worked with various national football federations, Premier League clubs, Irish Rugby, an F1 champion, major media outlets and various corporate clients.

He spoke about confidence, and explained the concept that confidence is very much a transient characteristic. When players suffer a dip in form, it isn't that they lose their ability; they lose their confidence...<snip>

Will be good to see him try his hand at coaching in the future. Hopefully he can back up his seeming authority on every tactical or football-related matter on twitter/blogs!

Seriously, the pressure will be on be big time he may want to just stay hidden in studio hahah

Day Three:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/jason_de_vos/?id=425882

"The first lecture of the afternoon was delivered by David Platt (not the former England international), who is a UEFA 'A' licence coach, a performance coach for the Team GB Olympic squad and a regional scout for Manchester United. Platt's lecture was entitled, 'The Winning Mentality: Recruiting, Assessing and Building Mental Toughness'.

Platt explained that of the four components of player development (technical, tactical, physical and mental), only the mental side of development has yet to be fully explored.

He gave numerous examples from his previous work, including as a coach at Liverpool FC. In his work with Team GB Cycling, he outlined the core values that the team has created: commitment (sacrifice), ownership (it's up to you), responsibility (benchmarks) and excellence (do your best).

An interesting area of discussion surrounded the recruitment and retention of players. Platt stated that off-field behaviour reflects on-field behaviour - you simply cannot flick a switch and expect a player's behaviour to change. So how a player behaves off the field - on social media, for example - often impacts a club's decision to recruit or retain that player."

^ Grizzly will love this quote!

Day Four:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/jason_de_vos/?id=425963

Interesting example of having a development plan at the bottom of the article...

and Day Five:

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=426015

"I was floored by the lack of funding provided for their women's program in general. The entire program is only given £500,000 ($800,000) per year, with £280,000 ($450,000) going to the senior women's team.

Contrast that with the millions of dollars per year that the top countries in the women's game receive from their federations (and in terms of funding, you can put Canada in that tier), and one begins to understand the enormity of the challenge faced by the Irish FA. It simply isn't possible to compete at the international level when you don't have the resources needed for adequate training camps and competitions.

The players in the women's program in Northern Ireland do not receive any funding whatsoever. In fact, they don't even get their expenses reimbursed. To attend a training camp or competition, they must take unpaid leave from their jobs or, for players who are currently in university, bring their books along with them and hope not to fall too far behind in their studies."

Day Four:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/jason_de_vos/?id=425963

Interesting example of having a development plan at the bottom of the article...

and Day Five:

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=426015

"I was floored by the lack of funding provided for their women's program in general. The entire program is only given £500,000 ($800,000) per year, with £280,000 ($450,000) going to the senior women's team.

Contrast that with the millions of dollars per year that the top countries in the women's game receive from their federations (and in terms of funding, you can put Canada in that tier), and one begins to understand the enormity of the challenge faced by the Irish FA. It simply isn't possible to compete at the international level when you don't have the resources needed for adequate training camps and competitions.

The players in the women's program in Northern Ireland do not receive any funding whatsoever. In fact, they don't even get their expenses reimbursed. To attend a training camp or competition, they must take unpaid leave from their jobs or, for players who are currently in university, bring their books along with them and hope not to fall too far behind in their studies."

Northern Ireland has 1.8 million people and is 100k wide by 100 k long so at best a hour and half drive from anywhere to anywhere else.

Cost to go to Europe for a game.. not much.

Should they fund the women better probably but they do not have very high costs for travel etc. just salaries, the facilitys are there ... its not like your bringing Canadian players to camps ... residential ones with folks away from home and secondary job for two weeks three or four times a year.

deVos won't coach, the chance of failure is too great for him.......and just because you have a UEFA licence does not make you a good coach, he has zero coaching experience, never coached team play, big difference on the sidelines than being up in a press box commentating on other coaches mistakes, licensing is very important, experience is even greater.

My bet is he is planning on a position with the CSA in a coaching development role, he is probably looking at replacing Ray Clark, this job you are not evaluated based on results, there is no pressure assessing coaches for their certification.

Just to be clear, i have no rooting interest in Jason DeVos' coaching career. I started this thread and posted the links to each article as a point of interest for anyone wanting to know what the UEFA A licence course is all about and how it might compare to the CSA courses.

deVos won't coach, the chance of failure is too great for him.......and just because you have a UEFA licence does not make you a good coach, he has zero coaching experience, never coached team play, big difference on the sidelines than being up in a press box commentating on other coaches mistakes, licensing is very important, experience is even greater.

My bet is he is planning on a position with the CSA in a coaching development role, he is probably looking at replacing Ray Clark, this job you are not evaluated based on results, there is no pressure assessing coaches for their certification.

Yes, but how does one get coaching experience? Anyone? Yes, they find some way to coach, perhaps starting with an academy side or something within CSA. Don't forget that some players make fantastic coaches, and I suspect Devos would be that type. He is a smart man and was a very smart player. His role as captain for many teams suggests an ability to lead and direct, and those are, in part, qualities of a good coach. He has tons of experience on the field in club and international play. He's got a lot more going for him than a lot of other newbies. If he wants to coach, he'll find a way. This does NOT mean he will ever become a big time coach, but we will not know that until he starts.

An interesting area of discussion surrounded the recruitment and retention of players. Platt stated that off-field behaviour reflects on-field behaviour - you simply cannot flick a switch and expect a player's behaviour to change. So how a player behaves off the field - on social media, for example - often impacts a club's decision to recruit or retain that player."

^ Grizzly will love this quote!

Yes you are right I do agree with this! :) Like every rule you can find some exceptions but for the most part this is true.

Maybe but I still think Piette is young and a little naive, rather than an insensitive nazi. So it can vary from case to case.

As stupid and ignorant as his Hitler joke was, I am pretty sure Piette was not one of the players jpg had in mind when he mentioned that I would love the quote.

Exactly what are you basing this on? Sounds like pure conjecture to me and not very sound conjecture at that. Neither being a former player nor having an UEFA A licence is a guarantee that one will be a good coach but if I were to speculate on former MNT players who would have a high probability of being good coaches DeVos would be pretty close to the top of list. As far as experience goes professional coaching jobs are hard to come by and DeVos may or may not get a chance to prove whether he is a good coach. However, at 39 and having only been retired for 5 years he is certainly within the standard age range for former players to get their A licence. And good on him for going for the UEFA licence instead of a Canadian or US one. And there is nothing in his career to date that suggests DeVos has a fear of failure or is risk averse.

Clubbing after a loss to Honduras?

Yeah clubbing after a loss to Honduras and posting it on the Facebook feed of the guy who organized the Voyageurs section and who along with 200 plus fellow Voyageurs had just endured entering a Canadian stadium in which we were outnumbered by Hondurans, BMO handing out blue and white thunder sticks so even those non-Voyageur Canada fans actually looked like they were cheering for Honduras, watching us play pretty well but then seeing the corrupt ref allow a Honduran to take out and injure our best player in the box without getting either a deserved red or penalty, 90 minutes of one of the dirtiest performances by a soccer team imaginable combined with a corrupt ref, a heartbreaking loss that was greeted by such a large shower of beer from mocking Honduran fans that it seemed like it was raining beer, a mass fight between us and said Honduran fans that was pretty close to being a major soccer riot until police arrived at the nick of time, another near fight outside the stadium with a bunch of Honduran thugs of whom at least one had a pistol and another a knife (that was expertly diffused by socceronly) and then a depressing ride back to the post game bar meeting which most of the fans were too depressed to attend and the few who did come were so depressed I can only say that I have attended happier funerals.

For those who were not following the MNT at that time I can only say in the myriad of disappointments that one experiences in being a Canada fan there was no result so bitter as the loss to Honduras and I think most here would agree with me on that. After the previous Gold Cup performance that was the one WCQ that we actually had optimism for and expected better. I know guys who have never recovered from that experience and basically stopped following the team after that game. The 8-1 was nothing compared to the loss in 2008. So yeah I didn't really appreciate seeing a photo of JDG partying at Club Opera after this game on my Facebook. Especially given some earlier posts he had made that gave the impression he was coming back to Canada not to play a national team game but to have a fun party with in Montreal with his mates from TO. Not to forget that my father stayed in the same hotel as the Honduran team and they did not party and were up early in the morning doing fitness training at the pool.

And I also remember in my days of being Facebook friends with Julian he also posted a fair number of party photos from Spain and when I compared the dates to Deportivo games they were often pretty close. Yes it is speculation but I think it (and some other information I have) do provide a lot of insight as to why both his national team and club play went downhill.

And it is not only Julian, there have been a lot of problem attitudes on our team over the years and I think this has directly effected out performance. I recently had an opportunity to speak with Jim Brennan and ignored some sage advice of those who had spoken with him before to forego this opportunity. I will sum him up by saying I would be very astonished if a bigger ******* has worn the Canadian national team jersey. I had a few sensitive questions to ask him but I thought I would be diplomatic and start by asking him about a game that did not involve him, the 8-1 loss. His response, "I don't give a **** about any game or team I am not playing on." The conversation did not get any better. In addition to bailing on Canada during the WCQ he was also apparently the mole in the dressing room in TFC while he was captain of the team reporting private conversations to management. I am sure we had some players with good attitudes as well but I think it is pretty clear there has been some rottenness on the national team for some time.

So yes I think the quote, Platt stated that off-field behaviour reflects on-field behaviour - you simply cannot flick a switch and expect a player's behaviour to change. So how a player behaves off the field - on social media, for example - often impacts a club's decision to recruit or retain that player. is pretty accurate. And if most of our players had the heart of the Voyageurs who showed up for that game 5 years ago in Montreal I think we would have a far better team, might even have won a few of those crucial games that we lost by close results and would have too much pride to be losing by scores like 8-1.

So yes I think the quote, Platt stated that off-field behaviour reflects on-field behaviour - you simply cannot flick a switch and expect a player's behaviour to change. So how a player behaves off the field - on social media, for example - often impacts a club's decision to recruit or retain that player. is pretty accurate. And if most of our players had the heart of the Voyageurs who showed up for that game 5 years ago in Montreal I think we would have a far better team, might even have won a few of those crucial games that we lost by close results and would have too much pride to be losing by scores like 8-1.
I agree with all that and I am interested in people's opinion about a player like Watson the former Vs whipping boy. I would much rather have a player like that than someone like JDG. Generally the Watson types don't "fold" when going into a Central American environment (yes I remember 4-0 T&T).

It has happened that teams without chemistry can win championships. They can hate each other or be prima donna superstars and still win, but it doesn't happen often. Which brings me to an interesting recent example.

As a coach, what do you do when a "lesser player" brings so many intangibles to the table that turns a team around, the team has a great vibe, is on a winning streak and you have a superstar returning to take the place of the "lesser" player. In my opinion, the star sits until the situation changes.

Canadian fans crazy for Kawasaki Check out the great video

As a coach, what do you do when a "lesser player" brings so many intangibles to the table that turns a team around, the team has a great vibe, is on a winning streak and you have a superstar returning to take the place of the "lesser" player. In my opinion, the star sits until the situation changes.

I probably start giving a bit more credit to the pitching staff that's given up 2.5 runs per game during the streak tbh

Archived