2012 Olympics Match #6: Canada v France

mtlfan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My biggest concern was our inability to hold the lead. Yes, the indirect free kick and the pk was a total farce and we have shown that we have explosive offensive power in the Tanc and Sinc connection.

In the game against the U.S. everytime we had the lead, we allowed them to come back to tie it up. It is this ability to defend against the set piece and the goaltending I am really concerned with.

Well, we allowed them to come back and tie it up with:

1) a goal directly off a corner because Desiree Scott came off the near post (a problem but an individual breakdown, not evidence of a systematic problem)

2) Rapinoe's goal-of-the-tournament strike (well, what the hell are you going to do about that?)

3) THAT THING.

Only the first goal can really be blamed on the defense; ain't nobody in the world going to prevent Rapinoe from getting her second. For the most part, until extra time when the legs just stopped moving and the Americans began to attack us in waves, Canada did a great job of forcing the American attack into wide spaces and maintaining both pressure and a strong counter. The Americans were slinging the ball into the box without much purpose for most of the game, although they had a few opportunities; for the most part it was decent.

That said I still make France favourites, as that was just about the game of Canada's life and we know their usual level isn't so high.

1) a goal directly off a corner because Desiree Scott came off the near post (a problem but an individual breakdown, not evidence of a systematic problem)

2) Rapinoe's goal-of-the-tournament strike (well, what the hell are you going to do about that?)

3) THAT THING.

Only the first goal can really be blamed on the defense; ain't nobody in the world going to prevent Rapinoe from getting her second. For the most part, until extra time when the legs just stopped moving and the Americans began to attack us in waves, Canada did a great job of forcing the American attack into wide spaces and maintaining both pressure and a strong counter. The Americans were slinging the ball into the box without much purpose for most of the game, although they had a few opportunities; for the most part it was decent.

That said I still make France favourites, as that was just about the game of Canada's life and we know their usual level isn't so high.

I can see the advantage of claiming France are favorites, but the way Canada has grown over this tournament makes me doubt the Froggies are that far a head of us, if at all. From the Sweden game forward we have been very strong, and I think this is going to be a very focussed and determined Canadian team on Thursday. The game against the US was not an anomaly; it was the culmination of several good games in a row. France is not much better than Sweden. We will be in a tough battle, but I would not rank France as highly as some have.

I don't think Canada's grown that much. A narrow but deserved loss to Japan, a win over the hapless South Africans, and a draw to Sweden. Not much punching above our weight in the group stage. Frankly, we were always better than England so the win over Great Britain only feels like an upset because of the home field factor. Only the game against the Americans saw Canada really elevate their level.

I don't think Canada's grown that much. A narrow but deserved loss to Japan, a win over the hapless South Africans, and a draw to Sweden. Not much punching above our weight in the group stage. Frankly, we were always better than England so the win over Great Britain only feels like an upset because of the home field factor. Only the game against the Americans saw Canada really elevate their level.
Disagree entirely. You are confusing results with performance, and as you know, the result only tells part of the story. You need to assess the performance to gauge what the team will likely do on Thursday. They did not play very well against the Japanese, but part of the fault is the formation they went with. You cannot play Sinclair up top against these teams: far to easy to mark her out of the game. I've always argued that Sinclair needs to me used as AM, not as a striker. She is too valuable to be isolated up top. The game against South Africa showed improvement, though they were not stellar--ie. Canada--and I was a bit concerned about how the team was growing. But the game against Sweden was a revelation! They got behind on two poorly handled goals, but otherwise looked to be in control of that entire game. The came back and tied the game against a team that is notoriously strong in defense. This was a huge turning point for our team. The game against GB could have gone sour for us, but we continued to build on the success and good play of the Sweden match and handled the Brits with surety and skill. Keep in mind that Sinclair played as an AM--essentially--for these two matches (Sweden and GB). Then the big game against the US, where they elevated their game once more. To be clear, I did not think that the game vs. GB was an upset. We are better than the English, but the context was an important factor, and the fact that we were mentally tough AND played very well were excellent signs. We have shown excellent progress over three full games against three very good teams, one of them the best in the world.

The French will be tough, no doubt, but I think we are being underrated again, which plays wonderfully into our hands on a mental level.

So from the FIFA web page, which BTW is hyping the crap out of USA-Japan rematch (Go Japan!!), we have the following fodder to motivate our team:

"Disappointment aside, Le Sommer feels France have the edge over their opponents for Thursday’s bronze medal face-off. “The last time we played against Canada was in the final of the Cyprus Women’s Cup, which we won 2-0,” she said. “We also beat them 4-0 at the last World Cup. They’re a team that fear the way we play, so we should be more confident against them and less intimidated than we were against the Japanese.”

Fear?? Seriously, does the CWNT team that we saw play against Sweden, Great Britain and USA look like fear is driving them? Didn't look like that to me; I think this player's assessment of our team might be a little bit dated because I did see fear in our team when we sat in the stands in Bochum a year ago and watched that 4-0 train wreck. This year's team seems like the antithesis of a year ago.

Maybe Les Bleus should be the nervous and fearful team this time around?

http://www.fifa.com/womensolympic/news/newsid=1677376/index.html

I can't help but feel that Japan and France were both watching the match the other night and thoroughly enjoying every ounce of energy (both emotional and especially physical) which was being expended.

Both Canada and the USA are going to bring tired, aching, teams to their respective medal matches. That should make this more interesting.

I don't know. Tough to predict things right now. The Ladies have been getting better every match so if they still have some gas left in the tank I'm going to say they've got a fair chance to win a medal. But I rate France pretty highly. Expect we're going to see their best yet before this is all over.

I watched France lose to Japan and Japan could have been luckier. The first goal was a cadeau as the French

keeper let a ball lobbed into the 18 yard box pass though her hands like butter, Ogimi of Japan then poked it

home. France misses a penalty while out shooting the Japanese 25-6.

The French did everything right but win, the two massive blunders gifted the game to Japan.

As tough as Canada's loss was the French also suffered as much for different reasons.

Just watched an interview with Sinclair and Tancredi. Their voices sounded like they are still heartbroken. They have indeed gone through a lot for the past few days. Hope they will recover from this emotional stress and be ready for tomorrow's game.

Just watched an interview with Sinclair and Tancredi. Their voices sounded like they are still heartbroken. They have indeed gone through a lot for the past few days. Hope they will recover from this emotional stress and be ready for tomorrow's game.
Yeah, they will need the mental and physical fortitude to succeed against a very strong French team. In my personal rankings, I now have the French #4 in the world, and Canada #5. US, Japan and Germany round out the top three. Brazil at #6, Sweden at #7. The team to watch over the next four years: Mexico. They will rise fast and hard!

I don't know. Tough to predict things right now. The Ladies have been getting better every match so if they still have some gas left in the tank I'm going to say they've got a fair chance to win a medal. But I rate France pretty highly. Expect we're going to see their best yet before this is all over.

Hope we have enough juice left in the tank.

Going to be watching this game like a 5 year old watching a horror movie.

Hiding around the corner but can't help peeking and holding my hands over my eyes with the fingers split so I can squeeze them quick.

Nervous as hell..........give 'er ladies.

3) THAT THING.

I was thinking about that Rapinoe goal yesterday ... one defender was very close to her, but backed off as another defender rushed over, but the first defender backed off a split second too early.

Pesky France dominating the mid-field obviously, Canada, a bit stymied, pass it around in front and then slip it thru or over.. Kind of dangerous .. some giveaways in the middle. Still had some chances.. This ain't gonna be easy, the smothering mid-field of France ..

Canada's playing patiently, slinging the ball around their back four, then giving it away almost immediately when they try to go through midfield. That's not a recipe for scoring goals. France looks a bit tired as well too and hasn't been very dangerous; right now neither team looks like winners, but Canada looks least like one. Still, not a bad half and some clumsy touches are inevitable when you're playing your sixth game in two weeks and coming off a 120-minute battle royale.

Matheson in the 92nd minute gives Canada the bronze medal.

The world feed commentators said the better team lost today. They may be right, but damn it this was payback for the screw job the ladies just took in the semi. Canada deserved better than bronze, but at least they get something out of it. I was just worried that the refs might take some offense to the comments after the semi to screw them over again.

Archived