2012 Olympics Match #6: Canada v France

mtlfan

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to the Women for winning bronze. Though I have to say we got lucky with that deflection and matheson being at the right spot. not to take anything away from it of course, it was great to see them hang on till the end.

Sidenote i thought the reffing was pretty fair for the match.

Ok i missed almost all of the game due to work. But judging from what i am reading here, there seems to be some guilt out there. But, France dominated at WWC against the US and several other teams and still lost. they dominated against JPN in semis the other day and still lost. This is a problem with their team, its not our problem.

I saw a few of their games and this is a consistent problem with their team, an inability to capitalize on chances . If you cant do that, and you make mental mistakes (ie.: Goal keepers) you don't deserve to win

Okay I just couldn't wait to get home and watch the recorded version. I just had to know and whew, what a relief. Looking forward to watching it tonight.

CSA please please please arrange a friendly real soon with the Japanese ladies team. It would be a great protest against the IOC/FIFA and hire some good officials (male or female). Publicize it and market it as the "unofficial gold medal match".

The world feed commentators said the better team lost today.

Yes that is true but at least today the better team lost fair and square because they could not finish not because of getting screwed by the ref and FIFA/IOC corruption. And had we not needlessly gone to extra time in the last game I am sure we would have had a lot better legs in the second half than we did today.

Ref was good today, we would have beat the US had she reffed that game (although she might have been given entirely different instructions had she reffed the semi and may have performed much differently). I only counted two errors on her part which is a small number for a whole game. Both went against us but not surprising given the run of play.

Our passing has improved a lot under Herdman but obviously we still have some work to do in this area. However, I don't think France's passing was as much superior to us as it seemed at times. In the first half they seemed to miss that last pass forward as much as we did. However, they were a fresher team and pressured us much more on the ball than we did them. Then in the second half we were obviously tired and did not put almost any pressure on them when they had the ball and then hoofed it up field like in the days of old when we had it. We need to learn that keeping control and possession even if only in the back is the best strategy for dealing with fatigue.

Nevertheless, solid if at times lucky defending and even if the run of play in the second half was all France we put it away when we had our chance. Excellent tournament and great effort from our girls. Don't think we are truly the 3rd best team in the world yet despite the medal but we are definitely moving in the right direction.

Don't think we are truly the 3rd best team in the world yet despite the medal but we are definitely moving in the right direction.

Yes, I have known (as several should have noted) for some while now that we are not the third best (or even fourth best) team in the world in the women's game. There is an elite core forming at the top in the women's game and we are not there but we are a side that at times can give teams in that elite core a game. That's not necessarily a bad thing. On the Mens sides, there are many teams that finished third or fourth at the world Cup but are really not recognized as in that elite group but are still good sides who are full value for the accomplishment.

There is work to do for this team and the CSA to hold its position and stop the slide in world where women's game is improving in leaps in bounds. One thing nobody talks about is how reliant we are on one (or maybe two) players. That's not a good thing. because what happens when that player retires. We are sort of like Bulgaria with or without Stoichkov. Right now its scary thought because we unique in the world in that sense. After one or two of those players, there is very little soccer talent.

From a sober long-term perspective, this tournament certainly shows improvement. No, we're not the third-best team in the world. We're not the fourth just because you add Germany to the list, either. But we're certainly climbing above seventh.

We won't be contending for the World Cup just yet, but given a few more years? If this level of progress keeps up, the sky's the limit. And even if it doesn't this represents a new high water mark in the skill of either Canadian national team.

From a sober long-term perspective, this tournament certainly shows improvement. No, we're not the third-best team in the world. We're not the fourth just because you add Germany to the list, either. But we're certainly climbing above seventh.

We won't be contending for the World Cup just yet, but given a few more years? If this level of progress keeps up, the sky's the limit. And even if it doesn't this represents a new high water mark in the skill of either Canadian national team.

Yes, with Sinclair and maybe Matheson, we are sixth, seventh or eight in the world and a team that can content on occasion for a world title. Thats a good position. But the problem is, where are we without Sinclair? other countries look to be in a position where they can replace those kind of players whereas in Canada, i dont think that we are.

I dont have any doubt that Brazil will and can replace Marta and as side like Germany is balanced through out in all positions.

Archived