MLS Generation Adidas Cup

jpg75

UKWILA, Wash. – Toronto FC made history on Thursday at the 2012 Generation adidas Cup, but it was not enough for the Reds to lift any hardware at Starfire Sports Complex.

The Canadian club became the first academy to send both of its teams to the finals of the six-year-old MLS youth competition.

Ultimately, Toronto FC came up just short in both contests with a 4-3 defeat in penalty kicks to Philadelphia Union in the U17 final and a 2-1 overtime loss to Chivas USA in the U15 championship match.

TFC, the lone MLS club without representation in the USSF Development Academy, impressed many coaches and scouts this week with sound technical play from every player on the roster.

Job well done. Only bright spot for us (TFC fans) this season. At least our academy doesn't suck. Refreshing to read that quote and end any doubts if TFC academy should join USSF Development Academy.

Keep in mind some clubs trial guest players, use club affiliated players and don't play their full USSDA squads in the matches. This tournament is treatly with less respect every year, especially given the timing of it now. There are some exceptions like Chivas, who took this tournament very seriously. Regardless of the competition, props to TFC.

Keep in mind some clubs trial guest players, use club affiliated players and don't play their full USSDA squads in the matches. This tournament is treatly with less respect every year, especially given the timing of it now. There are some exceptions like Chivas, who took this tournament very seriously. Regardless of the competition, props to TFC.

Are saying the competation is getting worse over the years and the timing of this tournament is in a off season for these clubs! Help me understand so that I can comment.

I am not going to dispute your claim. But i am not going to necessarily accept this at face value either without more substantive examples. Is there a difference in the quality and players used now versus two years ago? Honnest question. Because sometimes these things come out in the internet chat and forum world and it driven by, club PR departments, fans and supporters of other clubs who maybe didnt fare as well. I dont know.

Just to give you an example of what i am getting at. Look back at couple of the posts from a few weeks ago here in one of these threasds in regards to the Whitecap non involvement in this competition and the reasons offerred up for their non involvement. Are we going to buy those excuses at face value and, as result, denigrate this achievement by the TFC? Well that woulnt be fair.

Sounds like a little bit of sour grapes to me. There's a birth to the U17 Club world championship on the line and some spots to the Dallas Cup supergroup as well. If you can't get up for that then that's your problem.

Anyways, what really matters in the end is whether players are being developed for the TFC senior squad and judging by a few game reports it looks like some of the attacking players are really coming along such as Luca Uccello at the U15 level and Jordan Hamilton and Mark Wadid from the U17's.

Herre are the highlights from the u17 final.

Thanks for posting. Pretty revealing actually, the backline and goaltending at this age group leaves a lot to be desired. Couple of mids and the forwards seem to have some skills. Guessing #38 is Jordan Hamilton and #36 is Mark Wadid...ironically both goal scorers missed their PK's. #'s 27 and 28 both fed some good balls throughout the game and #35 looked dangerous when he came on as a sub too...any ideas who these kids are?

^ Yeah I agree, just highlights but looks to be some serious flaws in the way the backline moves the ball around. Hard to see from the Camera angle but the LB for TFCA was way too tentative about looking forward with his passes or attacking space when he was readily given it by the opposing players.

That being said, it's really all about individual talent and there seem to be a few gems on the team. Hope Jordan Hamilton continues his progression because he should be one to watch.

Are saying the competation is getting worse over the years and the timing of this tournament is in a off season for these clubs! Help me understand so that I can comment.

We already have Big Bird and Little Bird. What are you going to call Luca? :)

You seem to have great football genes BB, congratulations. Any news on Julian for the coming season?

Just to give you an example of what i am getting at. Look back at couple of the posts from a few weeks ago here in one of these threasds in regards to the Whitecap non involvement in this competition and the reasons offerred up for their non involvement. Are we going to buy those excuses at face value and, as result, denigrate this achievement by the TFC? Well that woulnt be fair.

In my post I did not denigrate TFCA. The question was asked why wasn't Whitecaps and Impact not at this tournament. I gave an explanation for both teams. I got the information from the horses mouth so yes you can take it at face value ;). Again I will explain that the decision has to be made months in advance. Whitecaps could not commit as they might have made the USSDA finals week the third week in July. If they went to the MLS Academy cup too, this would have given the team one week off before the start of their next season. I was told that the players are flying back (not all are residents of Vancouver) on Monday to begin training for their first games in California September 8/9. If one of the reasons is to put the players before college coaches and scouts, then the Whitecaps do that in an annual tournament in December attended by all the USSDA teams. In the US, teams tend to take on local players, and don't have the travel schedule that Whitecaps do. Whitecaps fly to California for about three weekends, fly to Utah to play RSL, bus to Portland and Seattle, Seattle area several times actually. This is not offered as an excuse, only an explanation as to why the Whitecaps did not go. Seems reasonable on the coaches part, in my opinion. Not any sour grapes either. Yes going to the U17 club world cup would be great, but a team can not do everything. Hope this helps you to understand my posts!:D

ThiKu, which tournament do you mean that Montreal would not be invited too? No, they would not be in the MLS youth cup yet as they are just starting a team listed as U18 and I believe U16, this is what I said in my original post. These teams will be in the USSDA league. The tournament in December that I mentioned is for teams in the USSDA league, not MLS academy teams that are not in the USSDA. So TFC is the only MLS academy team not in the USSDA league and the tournament in December. Just for clarity!

I just realized, before even reading seventhheaven's post....my post was dumb. TFC isn't in USSDA either.....so anyway, who knows why MTL didn't play. I assume they will next year unless they go the route Whitecaps did and try to give their kids a rest.

@7thheaven - December is USSDA-only. I now of course realize that this GA cup is for ... probably MLS-only teams whether in USSDA or not. Which now, is only TFC.

• 4 weeks later...
We already have Big Bird and Little Bird. What are you going to call Luca? :)

You seem to have great football genes BB, congratulations. Any news on Julian for the coming season?

"Tweety Bird" for Luca, the other Twin "EMU" for Michael he is the goalie.

that just might do it lol

thanks open for any suggestions .....

• 10 months later...

Archived