MLS Generation Adidas Cup

jpg75

Currently going on in Seattle...TFC U15's and U17's have qualified for the Semi's:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/08/academy-advances-semifinals

The U17s will be up against Columbus in their semifinal, while the U15 boys meet LA Galaxy.

U17s were held 1-1 by LA Galaxy in its first match then lost on penalty kicks. They bounced back to beat Dallas 2-1 before dominating D.C. 4-1 to earn a semifinal berth.

The U15s had a similar path to the final four. They lost their first match on penalties to FC Dallas after a 1-1 regulation time draw. Their next game registered a 3-0 win over hometown Seattle ahead of the 2-1 San Jose triumph.

edit: Here is the official site from the MLS website:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/2012-generation-adidas-cup

Scores and standings are not up to date...looks like not everyone entered teams into the competition.

It seems to me the Whitecaps have decided to give everyone a rest, which is why they didn't enter. But I also have heard rumours the Whitecaps have cutting their programming funds by 50% and maybe this is part of that.

Also with so many of the u18's moving on, some of these u15's and 17's prob have been asked to move up, maybe train with the first/reserve team, and likely are not needing to play teams they have already played. And maybe don't have budget to go to Spain?

Frankly, after the USSDA season, and the numerous events they entered the timing of this cup seems a bit odd. Though I can't really see when else they'd play it.....except maybe in later August.

It seems to me the Whitecaps have decided to give everyone a rest, which is why they didn't enter. But I also have heard rumours the Whitecaps have cutting their programming funds by 50% and maybe this is part of that.

Bit of a thread derailment, but where have you heard this? I haven't heard it but it might explain a thing or two.

From a guy who is a top coach @ Coquitlam Metro-Ford....which of course has supplied a huge number of players recently to Whitecaps.

50% reduction is one, the other is that they are moving to UBC for training. Which would absolutely shatter a HUGE majority of players chances to join the club at before the residency age. Can you imagine driving to UBC for training 4-5 days a week from....well, even from Burnaby? Let alone Coquitlam, Surrey, North Van, Abbotsford, etc etc.....big mistake if true. But some people think it might just be the first team moving to UBC.

Apparently other programs have UBC fields booked pretty solid so the Caps would have to build some facilities or pull out some magic tricks.

Whitecaps did not go into the MLS youth cup (formally SUM cup) as they needed a break. The decision had to be made quite a while ago. They had to plan in case the U16 team made it to the USSDA finals the third week in July. If they made that then played in the MLS youth cup, they would only have two weeks off until training starts for the next season which will be 10-11 months long, depending on if they make the finals next year. The whitecaps players where asked to go home and rest and re-energize for the coming season. They were asked to not do anything competitive (ie not play at the National's in Newfoundland for example). Keep in mind that several players are not from BC, but also come from Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, and Nova Scotia. These players would not have had much home time with their families. Good man management on the part of the coaches.

All the best to TFC at the cup.:)

Both u15 and u17 have made the final.

http://www.wakingthered.com/2012/8/8/3227294/toronto-fc-academy-finding-generation-adidas-cup-success

"By winning their group the U15's earned a date with the LA Galaxy who they managed to dispatch in the semifinal thanks to a 1-0 win. The younger side has not only conceded 2 goals in their four matches and are looking at a date in Thursday's final against Chivas USA."

"In the Crew the U17 team had a very familiar opponent and were looking at the game as a good chance to advance to the finals over a fierce rival. The game ended in a 1-1 draw sending it straight to penalties but unlike in the LA match this time the U17's came out on top. The win means that Toronto is looking at a match against the Philadelphia Union on Thursday for the tournament championship."

Good stuff! What amazing to me is how they have improved every year at this tournament since about 3-4 years ago. You can really see progress before our eyes.

This would certainly indicate improvement, but the TFC Academy has usually performed in the top half of the field every year and even made it to the semi's (or was it the final?) a few years back (2009?) and qualified for the Dallas Cup the next year.

BTW, congrats to the young men of TFC! Can't wait til the U12's and U13's start cycling into these older teams...look out MLS!

This would certainly indicate improvement, but the TFC Academy has usually performed in the top half of the field every year and even made it to the semi's (or was it the final?) a few years back (2009?) and qualified for the Dallas Cup the next year.

Yes, as far as i can recall, even their first participation was good. I dont recall that they ever made it to the finals though

And here is story form the TFC site.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/08/academy-reaches-ga-cup-final

Luca Uccello scored the goal for TFC i the 1-0 win over LA for the u15s.

Congrats to both teams.

It shows TFC aren't doing a bad of job developing players and winning games. Having both academy teams in the final shows TFC are class of MLS when comes to academy and these kids and staff should get a lot of credit for that.

Congrats to both teams.

It shows TFC aren't doing a bad of job developing players and winning games. Having both academy teams in the final shows TFC are class of MLS when comes to academy and these kids and staff should get a lot of credit for that.

It indeed sounds as though they are doing a great job of developing players, but I think the Caps are just as good and therefore should share the title of "class of MLS" in terms of academy development. (I suspect the Caps are better, but we got to throw ol' TFC a bone once in a while.) What I love about both programs is that they are developing a lot of young Canadians.

It indeed sounds as though they are doing a great job of developing players, but I think the Caps are just as good and therefore should share the title of "class of MLS" in terms of academy development. (I suspect the Caps are better, but we got to throw ol' TFC a bone once in a while.) What I love about both programs is that they are developing a lot of young Canadians.

So where does Montreal stand? I have no clue how they're doing with their academy. We need them too for sake of Canada National team as well.

As Canadian soccer fans, we should always support each other when don't play against each other especially when comes to academy.

So where does Montreal stand? I have no clue how they're doing with their academy. We need them too for sake of Canada National team as well.

As Canadian soccer fans, we should always support each other when don't play against each other especially when comes to academy.

I have no idea where the Impact academy is, but the entire organization seems very solid and I am confident they will develop an excellent development program, too. I suspect that one or two of our brother Vees can report on this for us. I agree, we need hundreds and hundreds of young Canadian kids in these academies. Believe me, I was very impressed by young Pasher and a few others when they played Liverpool, and I am a big fan of Henry and Morgan.

Does anyone know if that academy player the Impact signed this year has gotten any MLS minutes yet or if he is making the bench?

The U17's lose the final to Philly by shootout:

http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/news/2012/08/union-u-17-crowned-generation-adidas-cup-champions

Philadelphia Union have been crowned U-17 Champions at the 2012 Generation adidas Cup following a dramatic penalty shoot-out victory over Toronto FC U-17 in Seattle.

With the scores tied at 2-2 after 90 minutes and two additional ten-minute period of extra time, the Union’s future stars edged their Canadian opponents 3-2 on spot kicks to win the illustrious tournament, which enables MLS academy teams to test themselves against the best young players in North America.

The Union opened the scoring after 25 minutes when Joey Julius notched his third goal of the competition, the forward benefitting from another Zach Pfeffer assist – the midfielder’s fourth across the semifinal and final stages.

The lead was to last just 13 minutes, however, as Toronto drew level with 38 minutes on the clock to send the teams in level at the interval. And they took the lead in the 64th minute, coming from behind to leave the Union with a major task on their hands with just over a quarter of the game remaining.

But the Union hit back with an instant response; Max Kroschwitz scoring his second goal in as many games to tie the game at 2-2 just a minute later.

And with neither side able to break the deadlock, it was Jim Curtin’s Union side who emerged as victors in the shoot-out to secure the silverware.

The win concludes an excellent week for Curtin’s U-17 squad, who began the GA Cup with consecutive clean sheets during respective 1-0 and 2-0 victories over Colorado Rapids and Chivas USA.

They bounced back from defeat to Columbus Crew with a scintillating performance against San Jose on Tuesday, sending the Californian side tumbling out at the semifinal stage with a crushing 5-1 win to set up today’s victory over Toronto.

I searched but cant seem to find info on the other result.

Yeah, Chivas hasn't posted anything and the official MLS site has nothing either...

Funny, i posted the exact same thing 2 minutes after Cockney!

U17's did not lose a single match - their first "loss" was a SO result as well...so they were 2-0-3 (or 2-3-0 depending how you want to write it)

The U15's lost 2-1 in ET.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/08/academy-edged-out-finals

After an exhilarating run to the finals of the Generation adidas Cup, both the Under-15 & 17 Toronto FC Academy teams fell just shy of winning respective championships Thursday in Seattle by the slightest of margins.

The U15 team held a 1-0 lead against Chivas USA until a late equalizer by the Goats. In extra time, Chivas edged the young Reds 2-1 with a spot kick conversion after an unfortunate handball called against Toronto.

Not all was lost for the U15s. To complement their impressive form, Luca Uccello – Toronto’s goal scorer in the match – received the Golden Boot in the U15 category for his tournament-leading five goals.

Archived