Canadians in 2012-13 CONCACAF Champions League

July 31

Herediano 1 - 0 Real Salt Lake (Will Johnson)

Johnson played 80 minutes in midfield.

August 1

Toronto FC 5 - 1 Aguila

Ashton Morgan played 90 minutes as left back. He assisted the 3rd and the 4th goal.

Terry Dunfield played 90 minutes as central midfielder. He scored the 3rd goal at 40'.

Doneil Henry started the match and played 75 minutes in right back position.

Matt Stinson was on the bench and didn't come in.

Isidro Metapan 3 - 1 Puerto Rico Islanders (Edson Edward)

Edward played 90 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...
Edson Edwards played 66 as his PRI go down 4-0 to LA

Only watched for a bit but he looked good on the ball and he's a pretty big guy in terms of strength.

Nice to hear that he recovered from his injury. A guy like this might enter the player pool before the next Gold Cup after some of the vets on the backline retire.

• 3 weeks later...

August 30

Olimpia (honduras) 1 - 1 Houston Dynamo (Andrew Hainault)

Hainault started the game in defense and played until the final whistle. He had a yellow card.

September 18

Tauro FC 0 - 1 Real Salt Lake (Will Johnson)

Johnson played 90 minutes in midfield.

September 19

Puerto Rico Islanders (Edson Edward) 0 - 0 LA Galaxy

Edward played 90 minutes in defense.

Don't get to post about TFC victories all that often these days so might as well now - Dunfield scores twice with Morgan assisting on the second in a 3-0 win over Aguila of El Salvador. Both players went 90 minutes with Cann playing the last 22 minutes or so. Doneil Henry nailed to the bench for some inexplicable reason and Stinson not even dressed as TFC went with a 5 player bench in what I can only assume is a cheap-ass cost-cutting move - Rogers & Bell aren't making enough money I guess.

Doneil Henry nailed to the bench for some inexplicable reason and Stinson not even dressed as TFC went with a 5 player bench in what I can only assume is a cheap-ass cost-cutting move - Rogers & Bell aren't making enough money I guess.

They've been doing this for months now. TFC must be setting a record for most matches played in one season with a shortened bench. Its bush league.

I'm assuming they traveled to LA and El Salvador with only 18 players. Once Eckersley and O'Dea got hurt, they were never going to fly someone down from Toronto.

But why wouldn't you take extra players to a key CCL game?

By the way, I'm not sure if its because MLSE is cheap, I think it has more to do with the fact that Mariner refuses to play certain players (Stinson, Cordon, Makabuya, etc.)

Doneil Henry nailed to the bench for some inexplicable reason and Stinson not even dressed as TFC went with a 5 player bench in .

I was quite disappointed in that lineup last night. In particular, the fact that the players that you mentioned didnt even get a sniff of the pitch. That was a meaningless game whereby the opponents didnt show any effort and the TFC players barely broke a sweat. So what was logic of not putting those guys out there and giving them valuable playing time. Moreseo given that this is the CCL and the beauty of the CCL,is that clubs do feature players from the home country to a great extent.

This was the perfect time to give those guys and others a chance. But no, Mariner preferred a couple of players who really havent shown much this year. If they were allowed, TFC could have fielded the Academy team last night and still won. And i would have been more interested in the match. I watched, but with barely any emotional investment in the game.

This game was perfect opportunity to give young players experience in a foreign environment. I know I have beaten this to death, but I am really frustrated with the lack of opportunity for young Canadian players at TFC. I wont be shocked (but I will be be upset) if Stinson, Makubuya and Cordon are all let go from Toronto. Pretty crazy to think that a this time last year, Stinson had gotten called up to the senior national team. Can Andrew Wiedeman, Quincy Amirikwa and Aaron Maund really be that much better that Mariner would choose them over players who don't count against the cap?

Don't get to post about TFC victories all that often these days so might as well now - Dunfield scores twice with Morgan assisting on the second in a 3-0 win over Aguila of El Salvador. Both players went 90 minutes with Cann playing the last 22 minutes or so. Doneil Henry nailed to the bench for some inexplicable reason and Stinson not even dressed as TFC went with a 5 player bench in what I can only assume is a cheap-ass cost-cutting move - Rogers & Bell aren't making enough money I guess.

Dunfield is a Canadian legend!

I think he must be the top Canadian in Concacaf scoring history.

This game was perfect opportunity to give young players experience in a foreign environment. I know I have beaten this to death, but I am really frustrated with the lack of opportunity for young Canadian players at TFC. I wont be shocked (but I will be be upset) if Stinson, Makubuya and Cordon are all let go from Toronto. Pretty crazy to think that a this time last year, Stinson had gotten called up to the senior national team. Can Andrew Wiedeman, Quincy Amirikwa and Aaron Maund really be that much better that Mariner would choose them over players who don't count against the cap?

Yes, I have to agree. When i was alluding to Mariner favoring players who haven't haven't shown much this year (over Canadians etc), you mentioned two of the ones I was thinking of. Amerikwa has shown flashes of real potential, so i would exclude him from your list.

but the other two, i just dont get it. I am not suggesting that throw a guy like Maunde overboard. As a rookie first rounder, he should be given a fair chance and quite frankly, they haven't done that enough over the past 6 six years with rookie first rounders. He should be given fair shot and deserves the coach's patience just like academy signings. But what bugs me is that players like Weedman and Maund, seem to be getting some kind of preferential treatment. And i really really don't see what there is in their play to justify it.

I think you can tell who is a Mariner player vs. who is a Winter player based on who plays more.

And this is what really scares me. I know I have said this before, but if the guys Mariner keeps trotting out there are an idea of what he considers to be valuable players (how Maund plays over Stinson and Emory.Cann/Williams over Henry is well beyond me) he is not the coach I want at the club and will be happy for yet another change.

This game was perfect opportunity to give young players experience in a foreign environment. I know I have beaten this to death, but I am really frustrated with the lack of opportunity for young Canadian players at TFC. I wont be shocked (but I will be be upset) if Stinson, Makubuya and Cordon are all let go from Toronto. Pretty crazy to think that a this time last year, Stinson had gotten called up to the senior national team.

Despite Mariner's inexplicable love affair with Maund (who may have unleashed the worst shot I've ever seen in my life last night, in a play which also ballsed up a 3 on 1), I'd be surprised if Stinson was let go (he has at least seen the field under Mariner and was injured for most of Mariner's term - a guy like Cordon I'd be more worried about staying after this season as he rarely even makes the bench). I would also be pretty pissed off if that happened.

The only excuse I can come up with for Mariner is that he wants to see what these older (older than the likes of Stinson, Cordon, Henry, Makubuya) can do now before they decided to keep them or not, so that's why he's not playing the younger kids who still have some time. I don't really believe that, but I'd desperately would like to (and it still wouldn't explain the playing of Maund, who just has no clue as to what he's supposed to be doing out there and shows no signs of being able to learn - just like Jeremy Hall I might add, Mariner seems to like some really stupid players who make really stupid decisions on the pitch).

Archived