Calgary soccer supporters group?

Taking a cue from the Hamilton Soccer Supporters Group thread, would anyone here be interested in starting up a Calgary Soccer Supporters Group? It may seem a little ludicrous now, as there is no team in sight. However, if there were to be a team placed in Calgary in the future, this group would have a grassroots movement already in place.

Possible events to get organized around could be:

- Canada World Cup Qualifying matches

- Road trips to Edmonton for the Canadian Championship and the odd NASL game (to help support FC Edmonton and their commitment to developing Canadian players)

- Calgary United FC games (assuming the league is still in place next year)

- World Cup 2014 / Women’s World Cup 2015 / Olympics

Thoughts? I know there are a few people from Calgary on this board.

I'd be interested as I already support Calgary United and have only missed one game since their inception.

Though I can't see travelling up to Edmonton as I find it impossible to cheer for any team from there (but I do want them to survive).

I also pray to the Football God's on a nightly basis that we do get a Pro outdoor team back here in Cowtown, if not "Calgary United" then may I be the first to suggest "F.C.F.C." ? (Fort Calgary Football Club) you know it makes sense ;o)

We could meet up at the next World Cup qualifier to discuss this topic further.

Hey Stuart, I really think you guys going to lical AMSL matches would be good for getting out and seeing great Alberta talent. The Callies, Dinos, Villians, and one other that I can't think of right now play against the likes of the Edmonton Drillers and the FC Edmonton Acadamy. I might drive down for a couple of Acadamy games. I hope to see you guys there.

• 2 weeks later...
PLEASE come to Fiddlers for the CMNT game days, Stuart and I are getting lonely!

LOL. It's a funny ol' world sometimes isn't it?

Me, the Wee Elf and mine (along with redhat and company but still a much smaller crowd than usual) watched the match @ the E & C on St. Mary's with a couple of Calgary lads who were in town for a conference. Proper footie fans who seemed to thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

So chin up, and knock on wood, you may be in for some extra company come a week Tuesday.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but I have to say what a huge difference having a pro team in town to leverage off of has made. There's been so many times it's just been me, ESG Shawn and River_City and sometimes James watching MNT matches. Today we leveraged the FC Edmonton match into about 15 warm bodies watching the USA match.

Quite a change...

Not to hi-jack this thread, but I have to say what a huge difference having a pro team in town to leverage off of has made. There's been so many times it's just been me, ESG Shawn and River_City and sometimes James watching MNT matches. Today we leveraged the FC Edmonton match into about 15 warm bodies watching the USA match.

Quite a change...

Too true. The voyageur gatherings in Calgary when I was around usually consisted of me, Stuart, Oranje, sometimes Ed, tmcmurph and maybe a few others.

Archived