2012 Voyageurs cup predictions

Well on current form it seems Toronto will be in tough for National championship... will MLSE direct Winter to plan to win the cup as it appears the MLS season is rapidly slipping away ?

With the revenue from CCL you would think the bean counters would get Winter to understand what is an important boost to revenue in the coming 12 months.

I find it very interesting how the TFC fans seem to have abandoned talking about the team on non-TFC forums .... and what does that mean for

ticket renewals in the coming year ?

So on balance looks like Vancouver will be strong, Montreal second ..and Edmonton third with a disinterested TFC finishing fourth.

I think it's the Whitecaps' to loose based on current form. As for TFC I predict they'll have a bit of a psychological hangover from this loss, and subsequently decreased motivation to win the tournament, but then again, they certainly can get up for a cup match in a way the can't seem to in the league. I wouldn't right TFC off because they do have a significant amount of talent going forward and can play very cohesively, when they're not being completely undone at the back. Montreal in my assessment aren't even in the conversation at this point. I can see them squeaking one out against an unmotivated TFC, or I can see them getting pummeled by a motivated one.

As for TFC in general, I like Winter's vision for the club, but he really can't seem to talent evaluate when it comes to defenders, he can't seem to figure out how to make a high line work in the MLS, and he doesn't seem to have much in the way of a plan B given that one year later, his team still hemorrhages goals on a regular basis. That being said however, I think we should look at the positives that have come from their run... last year after needing a gift from mother nature to make it passed the expansion Caps' how many people can claim they wouldn't have taken sticking it to Santos in the semi-finals for 3 of 4 halves of football before the odds finally caught up to them. I hope they can reflect on their run, realize that they can compete with anyone, gain some mental strength from the experience, and in so doing finally develop a winning culture... if they can't however, I'm not so sure they ever will.

Well on current form it seems Toronto will be in tough for National championship... will MLSE direct Winter to plan to win the cup as it appears the MLS season is rapidly slipping away ?

With the revenue from CCL you would think the bean counters would get Winter to understand what is an important boost to revenue in the coming 12 months.

I find it very interesting how the TFC fans seem to have abandoned talking about the team on non-TFC forums .... and what does that mean for

So on balance looks like Vancouver will be strong, Montreal second ..and Edmonton third with a disinterested TFC finishing fourth.

Wow, just wow.

Why would Toronto be disinterested? If anything, they'll be pumped up to win it again and play in CCL.

I predict Toronto will win especially if Frings is playing. Vancouver is going to choke and remain cupless.

TFC fan here, posting on non-TFC forum...

I don't bet money on sport, but I would gladly find something else to bet in place of money that TFC will SWEEP the Voyageurs cup.

TFC lost last night because of PK's NOT because they were outplayed. (And PK's were questionable)

If you think that the Whitecraps can outplay the team we saw on the field last night you are freaking delusional.

Enjoy where you are for now, still 31 games to go and you better be ready for a spanking.

why would you bet against the defending champion? TFC will knock off Montreal and then the fix is in vs Vancouver

Based on what? On their amazing league play? I think that if their season keeps going this way, their players will be very demoralized. I think Montreal vs Toronto will be close, but that Vancouver has the best chance so far.

Based on what? On their amazing league play? I think that if their season keeps going this way, their players will be very demoralized. I think Montreal vs Toronto will be close, but that Vancouver has the best chance so far.

They have played 7 games in one month, soon to be 8.

They played great in 4 of them (even the loss to SL) Seattle they were caught off guard by Frings injury so were not prepared.

They had crap 2 games of 7, and Columbus wasn't actually that bad.

Yes, TFC will rock the voyageurs cup.

They played great in 4 of them (even the loss to SL) Seattle they were caught off guard by Frings injury so were not prepared.

Of those 7 games how many have they won?... good teams play poorly and find a way to win, bad teams play well and find a way to loose. I'm not saying TFC's a bad team (too early to tell), but sometimes they certainly don't get the little things right, and it costs them.

Of those 7 games how many have they won?... good teams play poorly and find a way to win, bad teams play well and find a way to loose. I'm not saying TFC's a bad team (too early to tell), but sometimes they certainly don't get the little things right, and it costs them.

After watching yesterday's Toronto - Montreal game, and Vancouver's very weak performance against San Jose, I now think that the VCup is up for grabs, and is anybody's, except Edmonton, obviously.

Edmonton is the only club I am OK with winning besides TFC b/c it would hopefully get some more support for soccer in Alberta and maybe even fast track an MLS team.

As much as I hate losing I would be willing to 'take one for the team' to get another Canadian club in MLS.

Edmonton is the only club I am OK with winning besides TFC b/c it would hopefully get some more support for soccer in Alberta and maybe even fast track an MLS team.

As much as I hate losing I would be willing to 'take one for the team' to get another Canadian club in MLS.

Edmonton is NOT getting an MLS team. I don't even think the owner has aspirations to move up.

You really think if they are approached they won't join?

Worst case scenario we see soccer in Alberta get a boost (yes, I am from Toronto and I LIKE Alberta)

It also means NOT VANCOUVER!!!

Dear god, anyone but Vancouver.

I think we will already see soccer in Alberta get a boost, if FC Edmonton lasts a long time and they get a soccer specific stadium. If the team has a similar path as the Impact (which IMO would be great for soccer in Alberta), then perhaps in 20 years they could join the MLS, but that would be the earliest it could happen.

Does the Kool Aid taste good...

Signed Jim Jones

Canada currently has all the MLS teams it will ever have. The math is simple: Van, Tor, and Mtl have 2 1/2M, 5M, and 3M people. Cgy, Edm, and Ott have 1M people, placing them behind about 20 US cities in terms of their potential value as MLS cities. The only realistic possibilities of growth for the mens pro game in Canada are now at the D2 level, either as part of the NASL / USL Pro, or as part of a Canadian league, if 8 ownership groups could all get on the same page with similar ambition and resources at the same time (I'm not holding my breath for that). Part of what we need are ownership groups that don't delude themselves into MLS fantasies, and therefore plan for stadiums that hold 5-10,000 people, so that their teams have a chance to succeed.

I agree that Vancouver will kill Edmonton (6-1 agg), but I think Montreal will beat Toronto (3-2 agg), and then lose to Vancouver in the final (2-1 agg).

Disagree with your scores. I can see Vancouver beating Edmonton, but I don't see it being quite so lopsided. Edmonton has a very strong defense this year, and that 3-0 game against Toronto is quite misleading (Saiko sent off, Baart playing... well I don't quite know what game he was playing, but it wasn't soccer). I see 3-1 agg or 3-2.

This week's game for FCE against Minnesota will also show if Edmonton can score as well as defend (Pinto will be able to play). I expect that the lineup this week will be what FCE will play against Vancouver.

Montreal will beat Toronto. I like the 3-2 agg. Not sure about the final as of yet.

Archived