Andy Najar with Honduras: bad news?

Jeremy

Im glad he chose Honduras, it sets a good precedent for others

Totally agree. His story is not very different from Jono de Guzman's; he moved from Honduras in his teens, developed in the USA. But much better outcome in his case for Honduras than with Jono's for Canada.

Totally agree. His story is not very different from Jono de Guzman's; he moved from Honduras in his teens, developed in the USA. But much better outcome in his case for Honduras than with Jono's for Canada.

Very true, yet the book is still not officially closed on Jono anymore.

I still hope he realizes he is far from 1st team minutes with the Oranje.

Unless he transfers to TFC, the Whitecaps or the Impact, the book is pretty much closed.

I'm as certain as you that he won't play for Canada, but I disagree that it's required for him to play for a Canadian MLS club to make it happen.

^ He renounced his citizenship when he became Dutch.

I believe he'd have to start from scratch to get citizenship back.

I disagree, He was born in Canada and lived here for 8-10 years of his life. So he will always be Canadian for the mere fact this was the country of his birth.

If other players can play for a country they have never set foot in, because their grandparents were there at one time, then clearly somone who was born in a country can always be eligible (until capped under FIFA) regardless of citizenship.

The Tam Nslawia story is different because he only spent a bit of time here in his travels and citizenship was all he had until he lost it. That to me is still weird though as he was a capped player for Canada, and now cannot be called upon.

Staying on topic...There is no reason Canada doesn't have a 17 year old that is as skilled as Andy Najar. He is nowhere near a superstar at this point so I am not too concerned about him.

Najar is now 18 years old (born March 16, 1993) but I found interesting the comment in bold. However, I don't think there's a 17 year-old with the experience and playing time Najar had last year. David Hoilett comes in mind but he doesn't want to be involved with the program, at least not now. We could compare maybe Doneil Henry who is more or less in the same group age as Najar but he played 5 matches last year against 30 for Najar.

How about Russ Teibert? Looks as good as Najar (or better) to and is 4 months older.

Oh yeah, forgot about him! He already has some pro experience in D2 and is starting in MLS...

The next batch of Canadians coming up through the ranks would be Alderson and Aleman. Hopefully these kids can get some MLS experience soon...

Najar is now 18 years old (born March 16, 1993) but I found interesting the comment in bold. However, I don't think there's a 17 year-old with the experience and playing time Najar had last year. David Hoilett comes in mind but he doesn't want to be involved with the program, at least not now. We could compare maybe Doneil Henry who is more or less in the same group age as Najar but he played 5 matches last year against 30 for Najar.

Don't forget also, DC United were a joke of a team last year so Najar getting playing time was partially due to the fact he was able enough to play with the 1st team. He did have some flashes of great talent, but his playing time was largely due to DC being Sh!te

Archived