Henry's MLS Arrival

Tuscan

Impressive. Really the only word for Thierry's first match in a Red Bull uniform. His movement off the ball, especially in the attacking third, is going to split opposition defenses like a hot knife through butter. The goal that should have been his first, in the 7th minute, was simply an adept player taking full advantage of a nearly broken attack and getting himself in on goal simply by being fully aware of what was happening around him and moving into a position where even if the ball was challenged for, he'd be right in the thick of it.

Really hope Mista is all he's cracked up to be, because RBNY is going to power its way through the last half of the season.

Yeah he was good from what I saw (didn't watch the whole match). Why do MLS announcers always have to use so much hyperbole whenever a "star" comes over from Europe? The Fox announcers literally said Henry is one of the best players in the world right now and can still play on any big club in the world.

With Google at everyone's fingertips today, you can't get away with such ludricous statements no matter how clueless you think your audience is.

It's not so much an MLS problem, but an American problem. Things always seem to be 'the best' or 'the biggest' when it comes to sports broadcasting south of the border. Not that some Canadian broadcasters don't fall into that trap, but i think we generally shy away from making outlandish claims.

Yes I agree with Trident. He might not be starter quality for Barca which is probably the best club in the world but he could play for an awful lot of other big clubs. The reason he is not is mostly due to the wages he would command because he has become iconic like Beckham. He would still be a good player for most of the big clubs in the world but the wage he would expect would be out of line with what he would accomplish on the pitch. Thus, he needs to play in a major city and for a team which can justify his wages through product sponsorship hence New York and Red Bull.

Yes I agree with Trident. He might not be starter quality for Barca which is probably the best club in the world but he could play for an awful lot of other big clubs. The reason he is not is mostly due to the wages he would command because he has become iconic like Beckham. He would still be a good player for most of the big clubs in the world but the wage he would expect would be out of line with what he would accomplish on the pitch. Thus, he needs to play in a major city and for a team which can justify his wages through product sponsorship hence New York and Red Bull.

Agreed, Henry is not the same player when he moved to Barca, but he sure could walk on to about 99% percents of the teams in the world and have a spot.

Teams that he may not have a spot on I could count on one hand I believe; Barca, Real Madrid, ManU, and maybe Inter and ManCity. Other then them he would surely garner a bench spot or regular starting spot on virtually every other team. If your take finaces and such out of the equation, evrything is still there he has just lost a step and half in his pace basically.

Agreed, Henry is not the same player when he moved to Barca, but he sure could walk on to about 99% percents of the teams in the world and have a spot.

Teams that he may not have a spot on I could count on one hand I believe; Barca, Real Madrid, ManU, and maybe Inter and ManCity. Other then them he would surely garner a bench spot or regular starting spot on virtually every other team. If your take finaces and such out of the equation, evrything is still there he has just lost a step and half in his pace basically.

Exactly.

I know people here want to be done with NA talking heads hyping up MLS retirees, but this one is actually the closest the league has been to snapping up a still-legitimate star and it'd be best to acknowldge it as a seemingly(we'll see) positive move.

It's a positive move for sure, but wish the media wouldn't talk him up the way they do. Most fans know everything there is to know about him already, so its pointless anyway. No need for hyperbole.

But he's still got a great touch of the ball and instinct for goal. That alone will have him dominate MLS for a while.

It's a positive move for sure, but wish the media wouldn't talk him up the way they do. Most fans know everything there is to know about him already, so its pointless anyway. No need for hyperbole.

But he's still got a great touch of the ball and instinct for goal. That alone will have him dominate MLS for a while.

Yeah, fans of the sport do know who he is, but I'd say a good 75% of North Americans might not.

He doesn't play Hockey, Basketball or Gridiron Football, so to assume Canada, and the USA knows who he is exactly could be a little far fetched, heard of him yeah maybe.

The big play up on him isn't to appeal to the people who are already watching and showing up to games. It's to get the people who still have no interest in the MLS, watching and showing up.

It's not so much an MLS problem, but an American problem. Things always seem to be 'the best' or 'the biggest' when it comes to sports broadcasting south of the border. Not that some Canadian broadcasters don't fall into that trap, but i think we generally shy away from making outlandish claims.

I don't understand this?!?!? When did Henry lose his ability to play? He IS still a top ten player in the world. The boys state side want to do it bigger and better because without hype the MLS is just another football league, they've got to sell Henry as the second coming for the sake of the league, I can forgive that, but saying Henry could play on any Club team is not by any means an "outlandish claim"

Ok this is further to my point the teams you just named have the best strikers in the world number 1 to number 5, Thiery in my mind was never the best player on the planet but he is top 10 no question, I mean I wouldn't drop Milito fro Henry right now either but it doesn't mean Henry has lost a step, ridiculous.

Henry sat on the bench behind Pedro and Bojan last year for Barça, not Messi or Ibra. He is not even in the top 40 of world strikers right now. He has mostly lost his spark, is slow and predictable, is not as lethal, misses easy goals, is not very dynamic on the pitch, and is easy to isolate. He is a mediocre playmaker on top of that. All features of his game that have slipped in the last 3 years.

That one he sent sailing over the next with his right last Red Bulls game, you will see dozens of those this year. I still think it is a bad signing, but somehow, when I heard he played well in the friendly vs. Spurs, I was pleased for him.

This is a perfect example of how EPL legends are made to have and hold til death do us part. His reputation was justified in 2005, it is not now. But a much better player just left Real Madrid for Schalke 04 and Raul is a perfect MLS prospect: fast, dynamic, incredible goal scoring knack, still very fit, hardly ever injured in his career, ambition, hard working. That Henry could get into MLS at that salary level on the hype of his EPL reputation is a slap in the face to serious football.

Henry sat on the bench behind Pedro and Bojan last year for Barça, not Messi or Ibra. He is not even in the top 40 of world strikers right now. He has mostly lost his spark, is slow and predictable, is not as lethal, misses easy goals, is not very dynamic on the pitch, and is easy to isolate. He is a mediocre playmaker on top of that. All features of his game that have slipped in the last 3 years.

That one he sent sailing over the next with his right last Red Bulls game, you will see dozens of those this year. I still think it is a bad signing, but somehow, when I heard he played well in the friendly vs. Spurs, I was pleased for him.

This is a perfect example of how EPL legends are made to have and hold til death do us part. His reputation was justified in 2005, it is not now. But a much better player just left Real Madrid for Schalke 04 and Raul is a perfect MLS prospect: fast, dynamic, incredible goal scoring knack, still very fit, hardly ever injured in his career, ambition, hard working. That Henry could get into MLS at that salary level on the hype of his EPL reputation is a slap in the face to serious football.

You may have had me swayed until you mentioned Raul being a good MLS prospect because he's "fast, dynamic, incredible goal scoring knack, still very fit" lets not be to biased towards the Spanish persuasion shall we? Really is that why Real Madrid are letting him go? Yeah Raul is gonna light it up in the Bundesliga!

And by the way I wouldn't mid if you to listed the 40 Strikers you would put ahead of Henry smart guy! Make it good! And try to keeps the Spaniards on the list to a minimum 30 or 35 please, for legitimacy's sake... sheesh

It is a bit ambiguous who classifies as a striker or not. But if you include players like Messi, Robben, and those types, I would agree that Henry would struggle to make the top 40 in the world. The fact that he couldn't get any playing time ahead of Pedro and an out-of-form Ibrahimovic proves this I think.

Henry is a retired sprinter now, going on a glory circuit. His class and experience will set him apart from the average MLS'er each night, and he'll have flashes of brilliance with a return of 6-10 goals. He won't make his teammates better. He was never a great dribbler (don't let his pace fool ya) or passer. Sprinters lose a step sooner than later, and he has lost his. He's an ambassador who will make NYRB and MLS a good chunk of change, and might still hold enough wow factor to bring in other "stars" from around the world. That will be his legacy, if it holds true.

Ok this is further to my point the teams you just named have the best strikers in the world number 1 to number 5, Thiery in my mind was never the best player on the planet but he is top 10 no question, I mean I wouldn't drop Milito fro Henry right now either but it doesn't mean Henry has lost a step, ridiculous.

Okay, I think it obvious he has a lost a step in pace since he Arsenal days, but maybe I'm fool headed to believe a person 10 years older would be a tad slower.

Yes, they have the best strikers in the world hence my point that he can't just walk onto those squads anymore

Henry is a retired sprinter now, going on a glory circuit. His class and experience will set him apart from the average MLS'er each night, and he'll have flashes of brilliance with a return of 6-10 goals. He won't make his teammates better. He was never a great dribbler (don't let his pace fool ya) or passer. Sprinters lose a step sooner than later, and he has lost his. He's an ambassador who will make NYRB and MLS a good chunk of change, and might still hold enough wow factor to bring in other "stars" from around the world. That will be his legacy, if it holds true.

Define "great": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR9leKMg464.

He certainly didn't suck.

New York has 3 DP spots? Anyone know how they got the third one.

They used them well, Angel (creative second striker), Marquez (Shutdown Centre Back), and Henry (Potentially Goals upon Goals upon Goals).

Not to mention 2 of the 3 played on the best team in the world last year in Barca, Well some could argue Inter was better, but whatever poaching to players from Barcelona is only good for the MLS and NYRB.

Not to mention 2 of the 3 played on the best team in the world last year in Barca, Well some could argue Inter was better, but whatever poaching to players from Barcelona is only good for the MLS and NYRB.

They didn't poach them from Barca. Barca had no interest in keeping them as they had become a liability whenever they came onto the field of play (which was rare, mind you).

They didn't poach them from Barca. Barca had no interest in keeping them as they had become a liability whenever they came onto the field of play (which was rare, mind you).

They were poached in my mind,from Barca directly and everyone else indirectly, but from the numerous teams aroudn the world that would of loved to take on two Barca castoffs.

They were poached in my mind,from Barca directly and everyone else indirectly, but from the numerous teams aroudn the world that would of loved to take on two Barca castoffs.

Unfortunately, injuries have really hampered Marquez the past couple of years so I don't know how true that is. And with regards to Henry, I only remember West Ham United being interested apart from NYRB. Maybe there were 1 or 2 others but I don't recall.

I think Marquez is a better signing, because he is a leader, is savvy, can play defence (yes, still, and well enough, just not peak enough for FCB), and can also play as a defensive mid, a good option for him. He has vision, anticipation, a nice long ball, a decent free kick (long and hard), and actually scores upon occasion. But Marquez-Henry is probably a good combination, it might work.

Let's just say, as much as I think Henry is past it: he's still more capable than Mista at TFC, light years difference. Can't figure that one out.

The problem for Barcelona was resigning Marquez to a multi-year extension, then not transferring him, just letting him go. Not so with Henry, they freed up excess salary. In any case that is around 20 million US freed up for salaries. But we also have to admit, MLS is not the best alternative in terms of football, but it is attractive for other reasons. It is the US, and you are building the sport. The promotional opportunities are enormous. You can live in a big cosmopolitan city in the case of say half the MLS teams. And even though it is a step down from La Liga, in this case, you do not feel it as much as you would if it were a move to Greece or Turkey or France or Russia. That seems like phasing down, MLS still has this idea of "go there to help the Americans build the sport up", so it has an upside no other European league has.

Archived