TFC-Bolton Game/Post Game thread

Razcle

I hope to god that TFC watch Bolton play the length and width of the field as they move the ball forward. even though this is a reserve side for TFC we look like boys chasing the ball and playing the dump and chase. On a personal note I am going to miss Martin Petrov from Man City. He was the reason I started following during the Sven era. What a great crosser of the ball.

This game is available on Rogers Cable 10 in Toronto as someone pointed out in another thread. If you have HD it's available in HD on 510.

CSL players include Vukovic of Brantford and Medic of SWE. Teams are allowed 11 substitutions, so expect wholesale changes in the 2nd half.

Doneil Henry made some aggressive tackles and looks decent out there. Mista with the good cross and a great header by Santos.

In some ways, this team of CSLers looks better than our MLS side... *facepalm*

The second half has seen much better play from the midfield forward. This is much more entertaining football. Double Facepalm since the number of CSLers has risen in the second half. Kocic has looked pretty good as well.

^ The unfortunate thing is I know more about both TFC and BWFC than both these tarts combined. However I am not upset by their commentary. I just relate them more with Junior sports announcers

Agreed, but I think they're doing a decent job. I'd still rather have them on sportsnet than Forrest and Dobson.

Fair enough. Stuart Holden has looked pretty good in a BWFC shirt. His footwork has been very nice to watch.

Considering he was making something like 40,000 a year with the Dynamo and was able to replace De Ro when he came over last year to TFC. I would love to see a league full of guys like that in the MLS.

Any likelihood that Rogers TV will show this outside Toronto? Or is there anyone out there who recorded it?

Last weekend I stumbled upon the London City / YR Shooters game (the night after) and it was not part of the YR Rogers TV listings... I don't think Rogers TV web listings are all that useful.

1-0 Bolton. Petrov (Martin) completely spins around Unsanov and puts a ball right in the middle for Taylor.

Usanov was useless and appears to be a complete flop for TFC.

Flop might be a bit of an exaggeration as I don't think he was hyped to be a regular everyday player. I know people try and peg him as the replacement for Wynne, but he clearly is not. Though I will say Garcia has seem to find better form that Maxsim has.

Flop might be a bit of an exaggeration as I don't think he was hyped to be a regular everyday player.

He and The Latvian are getting paid as such though - especially in comparison to Cann and Attakora.

Game ends 1-1, Bolton win the Carlsberg Cup 4-3 on penalties (which for some reason they did not let the spectators know about until after the final whistle so a lot of first-time attendees - and there were a lot of them for this game - missed the shoot-out. Gala (who played as Captain in the 2nd half after Mista was captain in the first), White and Academy prodigy Nicholas Lindsay scored for TFC in the shoot-out.

Midly embarassing result for Bolton. Yes I know that they are in pre-season, but you'd still expect a pre-season EPL side to easily handle what amounted to a TFC 2nd string side comprised mostly of CSL players (either with the academy or in the rest of the league). Doneil Henry was named man of the match and it was a fair choice as he looked very good out there with a number of well time tackles. And Nicholas Linsday put on a couple of sweet moves (after O'Brian White had missed a tap in) on a couple of defenders to nearly give TFC the lead late - the kid has quick feet and looks like he's going to be a real player. The other CSL players also looked decent although I lost track who was on the academy and who wasn't (I'm assuming all of the players who's names ended with "ic" are not with the academy) and actually they all looked better than some of the TFC regulars that played ( and some that didn't).

Other than the play of Lindsay and Henry (who both looked like they've markedly developed even since the Vancouver match a month and a half ago), the other positive for TFC was the play of Mista, who set up a goal with a wonderful pass, and looks like a player that can read the game and create from the midfield. He actually seems more to me like a player suited to playing behind the strikers rather than up-top - as such I'm not so much worried about his low goal totals of the past few seasons, I think he will do well with TFC, and it will be nice to see him play with DeRo and De Guzman (who were up in the press box for this one along with the entire rest of the regular TFC starters).

He actually seems more to me like a player suited to playing behind the strikers rather than up-top - .

Thats exactly what I was saying about Mista throughout the game. I didn't know anything about him prior to this game but I was impressed.

He looks like player. Sometimes you just cant put your finger on what it is but he has the look of a good soccer player. One who looks smooth and does things efforlessly and has high quality to his ball touches. As opposed to someone who is lumbering out there like, say, Usannov.

You can also see the improvement from the academy players in this game as opposed prior years when they were used in these matches. They looked like they belonged out there and you would have hard time seeing too much of drop off from what you would have gotten from the first team.

I just saw some pix from the game on the TFC website but they don't identify who's who. Can anyone tell me who was wearing number 36? While we're at it, can anyone post all the trialists and academy players and the numbers they wore?

thanks

Gian-Luca, the academy players were Henry, Lindsay, Stinson, McNicoll and Cordon. There was also a trialist from the Dayton PDL team by the name of Bas Ent, a 22-year old Dutchman.

Who plays out wide apparently:-

http://www.transfermarkt.de/en/basent/profil/spieler_81772.html

so could be the wide player Mo was talking about in the clip on the TFC website.

Gian-Luca, the academy players were Henry, Lindsay, Stinson, McNicoll and Cordon. There was also a trialist from the Dayton PDL team by the name of Bas Ent, a 22-year old Dutchman.

Thanks, that's what I had figured - none of the players who's names ended with "ic"! :)

Cordon also looked very impressive, even though I think he had the final PK miss for TFC - he looked atypical for a Canadian footballer - comfortable on the ball in the middle of the field, creative and able to make some passes with a bit of vision.

Cordon also looked very impressive, even though I think he had the final PK miss for TFC - he looked atypical for a Canadian footballer - comfortable on the ball in the middle of the field, creative and able to make some passes with a bit of vision.

He apparently had a hell of a game against Colo-Colo a few weeks back. He's born in Guatemala, so we have to be careful those ****s don't try anything shady to steal him for themselves...I agree, not the typical 'Canadian' player. Probably would have been cut if we had a bunch of Brits making the decisions.

Thanks, that's what I had figured - none of the players who's names ended with "ic"! :)

If I'm not mistaken, Cordon is with TFC-A because his family was not prepared to uproot their whole life to move to Portugal so he could sign with a club over there before the age of 18.

Nice coup for TFC because, from what I saw, this kid has quality. I'm definitely looking forward to Milltown playing against TFC-A on the 31st.

If I'm not mistaken, Cordon is with TFC-A because his family was not prepared to uproot their whole life to move to Portugal so he could sign with a club over there before the age of 18.

You're thinking of Sergio Camargo.

Archived