Mista signs for Toronto FC

"Mista’s contract will run through to the end of the 2010 MLS season. As per team and league rules financial details were not released."

Atleast it's not a long term deal, we'll see what he does the rest of the way...hopefully this move pays off.

"Due to International Transfer Rules, Mista will not be available for selection until after the July 15 transfer window opens."

...So he won't be playing this weekend...

Well that's some good news at least (short term contract).

My only other comment would be "I hope you know what you're doing" to TFC management. Because otherwise this seems like overspending on a player that we could have got for a lot less (if the salary is anywhere near what was previously suggested).

TFC puts up the flags of the nations of the players on their team at the south end of the stadium - I had a feeling this had been a done deal for a couple of weeks because the last two home games had a Spanish flag amongst the Canadian, Russian, Jamaican, American, etc. flags (although still no Lativan flag - maybe they can't find one?) and there wasn't another Spanish player on the team.

Last year he appeared in 13 Depor matches, and scored a goal. Deportivo agreed to break the contract to allow him to negotiate with other clubs, at his request, about three weeks ago. He was rumoured to return to his native Murcia to play for Cartagena, who were close to promoting to top flight this year. Turns 32 this year.

An odd signing, really you could have picked a dozen better guys just from La Liga alone, or top strikers who are older in 2nd division. But hey, maybe he gets along really well with Julian, who knows?

Well that's some good news at least (short term contract).

My only other comment would be "I hope you know what you're doing" to TFC management. Because otherwise this seems like overspending on a player that we could have got for a lot less (if the salary is anywhere near what was previously suggested).

The team press release seems to go out of its way to not mention a DP status, so I doubt the earlier figures were anywhere close to accurate.

TFC puts up the flags of the nations of the players on their team at the south end of the stadium - I had a feeling this had been a done deal for a couple of weeks because the last two home games had a Spanish flag amongst the Canadian, Russian, Jamaican, American, etc. flags (although still no Lativan flag - maybe they can't find one?) and there wasn't another Spanish player on the team.

Not to mention there's a scottish flag up there too. Any ideas on that one?

Jeremy is right, Mista used to score as a poacher. Now, since his presence is weaker in the box, he has to come back, rove into the middle to get the ball. He's strong, was never fast, tends to score from in close rather than on long shots, so a classic target striker. And not a particularly good one. But if he catches on at TFC you may get lucky.

I remember just last week when Mo scored a stunner from just outside the 18 yard box!

Should we also put the flag up for the Dutch guy that works in the concession stand? :)

Absolutely, at least the Dutch guy adds value to the club's balance sheet.

Mista Is Here….. Now What???

http://viewfromthesouthstands.com/2010/07/mista-is-here%e2%80%a6-now-what/

My take on the Mista deal. Comments always welcome

Hi, comments here if you don't mind. I think you are right he would have to be making more than the quantity mentioned. The reason is that he renounced the last year of his contract at Depor, they let him go to free up their salary load, and at Depor some say he was making up to a million euros. Maybe I am wrong, but it would be the right sort of number, it is what I have read anyways. Unless he had a chunk of potential salary built into performance incentives. But either way, that is a lot of salary to renounce, for example to just sign half a year, with no security for the future, you don't do that if you can't get near your former salary level.

So a half year at TFC, then another shot at another contract in the Xmas transfer break. Are we to believe that Mista is making over half a million US?

Archived