Alberta Soccer Dispute Continues ON

oc64

I really enjoyed watching Mario furiously spinning his pencil after the Chair announced the motion passed. Also laughed out loud when he told the TV crew that he was just following the bylaws. Noticed the Alberta Minister for Culture, Sports and Recreation, Cindy Ady, near the beginning of the video.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The margin of this victory, as has been mentioned previously, is not of insignificant political weight above and beyond the ASA borders.

Not saying let up on the fight just yet but I think the day is clearly over for that gang of losers. As the full financial weight of this entire ridicules fiasco becomes clearer with time and the blame for such is assigned rightly to certain individuals along with their other misdoings that we're well on our way to a very new day in Canadian soccer governance. There will be no going back now.

Fred Kern's words quoted from the Barnes article in the Edmonton Journal.

“I have been on the board for only 33 years,” he began. “To be told now by you, the membership, ‘Hey, you’re no longer wanted, surplus,’ I find it degrading and demeaning.”

He challenged the voters to “look in the mirror” and “look inside” themselves.

“My only obsession, my only commitment, has been and always is the betterment of the game.”

(Hate to kick a guy while he's down but...)

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You said everything you needed to when you let employees be wrongfully dismissed, districts wrongfully suspended and played along with an expensive legal tooth-and-nail fight to keep Billings and district control out of Alberta soccer.

Incompetent, complacent or a toadie. Attributes not readily required for the betterment of the game. Or so it seems by a vote of 18 districts to 3, eh?

The margin of this victory, as has been mentioned previously, is not of insignificant political weight above and beyond the ASA borders.

Not saying let up on the fight just yet but I think the day is clearly over for that gang of losers. As the full financial weight of this entire ridicules fiasco becomes clearer with time and the blame for such is assigned rightly to certain individuals along with their other misdoings that we're well on our way to a very new day in Canadian soccer governance. There will be no going back now.

Fred Kern's words quoted from the Barnes article in the Edmonton Journal.

“I have been on the board for only 33 years,” he began. “To be told now by you, the membership, ‘Hey, you’re no longer wanted, surplus,’ I find it degrading and demeaning.”

He challenged the voters to “look in the mirror” and “look inside” themselves.

“My only obsession, my only commitment, has been and always is the betterment of the game.”

(Hate to kick a guy while he's down but...)

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You said everything you needed to when you let employees be wrongfully dismissed, districts wrongfully suspended and played along with an expensive legal tooth-and-nail fight to keep Billings and district control out of Alberta soccer.

Incompetent, complacent or a toadie. Attributes not readily required for the betterment of the game. Or so it seems by a vote of 18 districts to 3, eh?

Mr Kern, IMO you have not done anything to better the game in 32 years, as is obvious with the state of affairs of ASA, you are an intelligent man, you can probably look in the mirror, you can probably sleep, you dont realize you did anything wrong, go on a retreat and reflect all you have done, think about the people who were fired and ask yourself if you are a good person, because the people you fired are good people.

I really enjoyed watching Mario furiously spinning his pencil after the Chair announced the motion passed. Also laughed out loud when he told the TV crew that he was just following the bylaws. Noticed the Alberta Minister for Culture, Sports and Recreation, Cindy Ady, near the beginning of the video.

I loved the quote from Margaret in the journal when she stated that witnessing the SGM and the results were almost worth getting fired for.

I’m glad Minister Ady was there. Having taken the time to witness the SGM I hope she has her EA/PA or even herself, take a moment to read Leanne McCarthy’s blog. (http://nonprofit4sense.wordpress.com/)

As an Alberta taxpayer I have no problem with grant funding for the arts and sports. It’s for the betterment of the province, and in particular the youth of this province. If there is a modicum of truth in that blog, and I have no doubt, knowing Leanne, that it’s the full blown straight fact of the matter, I am outraged at the sense of entitlement these FORMER board members felt they had with my tax dollars. I sure as hell don’t use valet parking on my travels, I don’t use my employer’s cell phone for personal reasons – I have my own. I buy my own Timmies, I wash my own car in my driveway. These excesses at our expense has gone on too long – they have been institutionalized in this previously flawed organization.

Minister, this “privileged” behaviour is offside with our community standards. Your office, through ASRWF must be onside with the reforms clearly articulated and set in motion yesterday.

Yes, but we all know that Mr. vanDiest hasn't exactly been objective about this issue. I believe that should CSA intervene and overturn the results, Sport Canada has to get engaged along withthe SDRCC. So the risk is significant for the CSA, maybe then the CSA Board will give pause and think this through. Make a mountain out of this and endanger the WWC, let the natural course of justice prevail and thnigs may go a lot smoother.

Same guy that writes for the SUN - DerekVan Diest - derek.vandiest@sunmedia.ca IMO he's reading from a different script than the Districts and most here.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/VanDiest/2011/01/22/16991276.html

Oh I know he is. That's what makes it all the more worrying. He seems to be on the side of the outcasts, perhaps he has some inside info...or is it outside info now?

Same guy that writes for the SUN - DerekVan Diest - derek.vandiest@sunmedia.ca IMO he's reading from a different script than the Districts and most here.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/VanDiest/2011/01/22/16991276.html

What will they appeal? They were removed for cause, by a vote of the membership, and at a properly called SGM. Not sure what they plan to appeal or what jurisdiction CSA would even have

I just wanted to take a quick minute and thank everyone for their persistance and help over the past few months. I know at times it seemed like it was only a few of us concerned about this issue but yesterdays vote shows that is not at all true.

I also hope that we all (those of us new to this forum) continue to use the website and read the well written articles. It is a great forum for soccer information.

Like others, I give a special thanks to Mr. Tyler Durden (whoever is the man behind the mask). the reform alberta soccer website turned the tide in this dispute.

Also, Thank you to Ben Knight for his persistance and ongoing articles about the issues plaguing soccer in Alberta and Canada.

Canoe.ca reports that an appeal to the CSA is expected over the dismissal of the board members...

Fair enough. But...

If the Big Heads over at CSA HQ hitch their horse to the bunch that were just tossed by the overwelming majority of ASA rate payers they are stupider than even I would give them credit for.

For the life of me I can't see the stategic value for the CSA (whatever their agenda) in getting deeper into this. Especially on behalf of what is unquestionably going to be the losing side.

The people have spoken. Cut your losses and get the Hell out of Dodge. Waging war with a grassroots movement, an overwhelmingly successful grassroots, is only going to end one way. Badly.

At this point if the CSA get involved deeper everything changes. They (the CSA) will be electing to wear this fight as their own, as a fight between Ottawa board-room suit insiders and the everyday people of Alberta soccer. Pretty sure I know how that's going to turn out. Talk about adding fuel to the fire.

The CSA has options still but that isn't one of them. Wouldn't be a smart move.

Fair enough. But...

If the Big Heads over at CSA HQ hitch their horse to the bunch that were just tossed by the overwelming majority of ASA rate payers they are stupider than even I would give them credit for.

For the life of me I can't see the stategic value for the CSA (whatever their agenda) in getting deeper into this. Especially on behalf of what is unquestionably going to be the losing side.

The people have spoken. Cut your losses and get the Hell out of Dodge. Waging war with a grassroots movement, an overwhelmingly successful grassroots, is only going to end one way. Badly.

At this point if the CSA get involved deeper everything changes. They (the CSA) will be electing to wear this fight as their own, as a fight between Ottawa board-room suit insiders and the everyday people of Alberta soccer. Pretty sure I know how that's going to turn out. Talk about adding fuel to the fire.

The CSA has options still but that isn't one of them. Wouldn't be a smart move.

Let's hope Dr. Maestracci's reckless letter to Mario Charpentier was a momentary lapse in judgement. If he continues on that path, there will probably be grounds under Article 44 of the CSA Bylaws:

The position of Director shall be vacated:

c) if the Director be removed for misconduct for good and sufficient cause after provisional decision of the Board of Directors or by Resolution at its Annual General Meeting;

I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that.

Mr Kern, IMO you have not done anything to better the game in 32 years, as is obvious with the state of affairs of ASA, you are an intelligent man, you can probably look in the mirror, you can probably sleep, you dont realize you did anything wrong, go on a retreat and reflect all you have done, think about the people who were fired and ask yourself if you are a good person, because the people you fired are good people.

It appears Fred forgot to mention his slandering of the former E.D. when he phoned several District Presidents last february.

Did anyone else notice this anonymous comment from Onward Soccer? I would be a bit nervous about my future chances if I was one of the former ASA Board members. It's a good thing those guys were there, I'm sure that Mike Traficante has been assuring them that the opposition to Mario was limited to those involved in court action. Well, they got a great view of reality yesterday.

"It truly was great news out of Alberta yesterday, and as a person in attendance I was amazed at the cooperation between all of the Districts and Associations. Sat to my right in the meeting were the members of CSA and even though I've never met the gentlemen, using the CSA website the three in attendance appear to be; DOMINIC MAESTRACCI, VICTOR MONTAGLIANI, and STEVE REED (the last one I'm unsure of). It was quite funny watching the EMSA rep Kathy Droeske chatting with Dominic stating that "it should never have come to this" - and quite rightly, but her President forced the issue. Of course the statement was agreen upon by Dominic. While the Districts each voiced their concerns prior to the Charpentier vote, Dominic left the proceedings, Victor was busy texting (hey wait a sec maybe he's secretly Tyler - bwah ha ha and was updating Twitter), and the third just sat quietly. Finally after the oust of the board and just prior to the passing of the board reform, Mario approached the dais to speak his mind on the board reforms (please correct me if the timing is a little off). Anywho - the EDSA rep asked for a point of order stating that now Mr. Charpentier is no longer a member of the board, he is in fact a member of the public and should not have a voice at the proceedings as was voted prior to the general public entering the meeting. After the EDSA rep made his comment I overheard Victor turn to Steve (?) and make the comment "That's true and all the BOD should now be part of the gallery" - a crack? hmm could be interesting. Finally - lets get the new bylaw registered first thing Monday morn (can it be registered with Societies? or are they still in a holding pattern). I get the feeling that things aren't quite over and CSA will have one final act in this drama. Does anyone have the numbers if EDSA, CASA and SunnySouth weren't permitted to vote, what the final numbers would have been? Would they all still be gone?"

I took a slow-mo look afterward on the bigger screen and I don't think it was Cindy Ady that I saw on the video. If anyone's got the right video capture software, there are some excellent shots for stills on the video. I can't do it (or to be honest, don't know how).

I get the feeling that things aren't quite over and CSA will have one final act in this drama. Does anyone have the numbers if EDSA, CASA and SunnySouth weren't permitted to vote, what the final numbers would have been? Would they all still be gone?"

If that happens I think it would likely end up in court. If my understanding was correct there was a court order allowing EDSA, CASA and SunnySouth to attend and vote. Things could end up getting very nasty fast if CSA chooses that route. Are they really willing to risk losing the Women's world cup for 2015?

As far so Mario stating he was voted out because of following the by-laws. My wife wondered why I laughed when it was aired on Gobal 6PM news yesterday. I told my wife I too can follow 1 sentence of the by-laws and violate the other 4 sentence or paragraphs and profuse I am following the by-laws.

Just like in 2007

The same group only followed.

"The committee orders that the matter be referred back to ASA for consideration in accordance with ASA By-Laws & General Rules and Regulations and that the play downs for this outdoor season be held in accordance with the historical format pending such considerate by ASA."

While ignoring

"On the basis of the written documentation submitted to it, the Committee finds that the decision of the ASA Board date June 8, 2007 was made in breach of the ASA General Rules and Regulations. The Committee concluded that the ASA Board's decision was not in accordance with Rule 7 of the ASA General Rules and Regulations. The Committee also noted that the decision of the ASA board was made without regard to the principles of fairness and transparency ……"

IMHO a number of former Alberta Directors have demonstrated a clear lack of honesty and integrity.

I shake my head in disbelief that some of these former directors have been involved in what can only be described and nasty politics. CSA executive should do some serious soul searching because they have playing King Maker for far too long within Alberta.

Let's hope Dr. Maestracci's reckless letter to Mario Charpentier was a momentary lapse in judgement. If he continues on that path, there will probably be grounds under Article 44 of the CSA Bylaws:

The position of Director shall be vacated:

c) if the Director be removed for misconduct for good and sufficient cause after provisional decision of the Board of Directors or by Resolution at its Annual General Meeting;

I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that.

I hope it does. It is time for the CSA board to reign in their rogue executives and do an SGM to get rid of them "for just cause". If I were appointing someone from Alberta to go to the CSA AGM I'd force the issue. We send Billings and you accept him or we send ZERO dollars to the CSA. Yes it would be painful but the rest of the CSA board needs to stand up right now, name people and remove them. We've done our part here in Alberta!

Here here!

i just wanted to take a quick minute and thank everyone for their persistance and help over the past few months. I know at times it seemed like it was only a few of us concerned about this issue but yesterdays vote shows that is not at all true.

I also hope that we all (those of us new to this forum) continue to use the website and read the well written articles. It is a great forum for soccer information.

Like others, i give a special thanks to mr. Tyler durden (whoever is the man behind the mask). The reform alberta soccer website turned the tide in this dispute.

Also, thank you to ben knight for his persistance and ongoing articles about the issues plaguing soccer in alberta and canada.

I'm going off-topic for this post but I have a question I know someone has the answer to.

I would like to join an adult soccer team but have no idea how to find one. It would need to be purely recreational. I'm in terrible shape right now and I haven't played soccer since I was 8 years old. I don't have a technical basis to draw from.

How would I find a team in Edmonton? I don't want to play for a team that is crazy competetive. I'm a couple seasons away from being any real help.

Another question about future appeals and court applications by the recently removed board of directors:

I'm assuming since they no longer represent the ASA that they will be on the hook personally for the costs associated with any legal actions and/or appeals they undertake now. Is that correct?

I'm going off-topic for this post but I have a question I know someone has the answer to.

I would like to join an adult soccer team but have no idea how to find one. It would need to be purely recreational. I'm in terrible shape right now and I haven't played soccer since I was 8 years old. I don't have a technical basis to draw from.

How would I find a team in Edmonton? I don't want to play for a team that is crazy competetive. I'm a couple seasons away from being any real help.

http://www.edmontondistrictsoccer.com/

Archived