Alberta Soccer Dispute Continues ON

oc64

It was interesting to hear the response. I fail to see how having professionals on the CSA would have a negative impact on grass root community programs. Is the thinking that the CSA is going to ask for every increasing fees from the community players. ie $10/head to $20/head increasing to $40/head etc.

I personally think the professionals are needed to seek and attract sponsorship dollars the national program so desperately needs. What sponsorship dollars have the Provincial Presidents brought in? IMHO the community programs will continue to run regardless of what is happening with the National program.

A+ Acorn

Only the likes of Mario (aka professional -and I use the term very loosely - volunteers) may "suffer"...Keep in mind this guy makes a living thanks to his "volunteerism".

As for his emails of support, dream on. Simple cut and paste can do wonders.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The main reason that Mario does not want reform (IMHO), is that if this catches on, and more soccer associations and their members insist on having qualified professionals running the show, he would be out of a job (not having any qualifications).

Reform has swept mario out and hopefully we can see similar reform on feb 5th and at the next csa agm. The professional volunteers with no qualifications need to make way for people who care about CSA alone and not just getting perks for themselves and their friends who support them. Mike T and those on the executive who propped mario up and have stood in the way of reform are next.

Reform has swept mario out and hopefully we can see similar reform on feb 5th and at the next csa agm. The professional volunteers with no qualifications need to make way for people who care about CSA alone and not just getting perks for themselves and their friends who support them. Mike T and those on the executive who propped mario up and have stood in the way of reform are next.

It remains to be seen if Mario has been 'swept out' of EMSA by reform. Their AGM is this weekend, not sure if the results are known. EMSA still has a significant voice in ASA, either way.

It remains to be seen if Mario has been 'swept out' of EMSA by reform. Their AGM is this weekend, not sure if the results are known. EMSA still has a significant voice in ASA, either way.

Unfortunately, it is not an AGM this week-end for EMSA.They are in Banff for a planning meeting. Not sure why it is necessary to haul the staff to Banff for the week-end for a planning meeting, but that's all it is ... planning, skiing, drinking, skiing, planning... maybe.

Unfortunately, it is not an AGM this week-end for EMSA.They are in Banff for a planning meeting. Not sure why it is necessary to haul the staff to Banff for the week-end for a planning meeting, but that's all it is ... planning, skiing, drinking, skiing, planning... maybe.

How much does EMSA charge for a team to play in its league ?

From all I can see its really just a league and nothing else so how much do they collect from the mini and 11 aside teams ?

EMSA charges "guest" or "exhibition" teams from other districts from $1600/team (outdoor 2010) to $2500 (indoor 2010-11) to play Tier III...not sure what it charges its own district teams for "rep fees", but when you consider that there are often 3-4 teams per age group and gender coming from out of city...that adds up to a lot of skiing $!! :)

My mistake, I think I knew that at some point....

I suppose you are inclined to come up with better plans when you are in a nice location, as opposed to Edmonton. Yeah, that must be it....

EMSA charges "guest" or "exhibition" teams from other districts from $1600/team (outdoor 2010) to $2500 (indoor 2010-11) to play Tier III...not sure what it charges its own district teams for "rep fees", but when you consider that there are often 3-4 teams per age group and gender coming from out of city...that adds up to a lot of skiing $!! :)

Rumour has it their good friends from CMSA came along too...plotting the new ASA, eh?

Rumour has it their good friends from CMSA came along too...plotting the new ASA, eh?

Like Mario and Colin kept saying to the reformers a few months ago-"if you dont like ASA why dont you just leave?"

Gary Steen and his board have a lot to answer for -maybe their own sgm. The clubs are very concerned about lack of discussion on issues and them tying their wagon to the wrong horses by a lot. See how they weather things. Unfortunately at the point of their AGM eveyone was still asleep. Calgary is a pretty apathetic town but once they get focussed look out. It may get interesting. EMSA is a Taminy hall block. Ties right up by perks and preferences and the zones of mwoods and west are in the bag so to speak-and everyone else keeps their heads down for fear of a lifetime ban from all soccer. Would take a major miracle to see change there.

Like Mario and Colin kept saying to the reformers a few months ago-"if you dont like ASA why dont you just leave?"

Gary Steen and his board have a lot to answer for -maybe their own sgm. The clubs are very concerned about lack of discussion on issues and them tying their wagon to the wrong horses by a lot. See how they weather things. Unfortunately at the point of their AGM eveyone was still asleep. Calgary is a pretty apathetic town but once they get focussed look out. It may get interesting. EMSA is a Taminy hall block. Ties right up by perks and preferences and the zones of mwoods and west are in the bag so to speak-and everyone else keeps their heads down for fear of a lifetime ban from all soccer. Would take a major miracle to see change there.

Don't be so sure about Edmonton West Zone being 'in the bag'.

Don't be so sure about Edmonton West Zone being 'in the bag'.

I hope you are right-i did hear there is a new president in the Westzone. I have a lot of respect for the current westraider club people. They should stand up and be heard a bit. The people who represent them on emsa are not making good decisions for them or Alberta. Time for a new outlook.

I think you may have meant Edmonton North Zone instead of West, 1867.

The West Zone is most likely ripe for change. Jossy was generally respected, but probably hitched his wagon to the wrong horse (as suggested earlier). Look at the vote at the SGM... I don't think it was without reason that Jossy's removal was by the smallest margin. The North Zone has politics closely linked to the deposed ASA BoD... a couple of this year's Provincial Selects coaches come from that zone and even coach their own kids at Provincial teams... if you want to talk about conflict of interest.

The West Zone is most likely ripe for change. Jossy was generally respected, but probably hitched his wagon to the wrong horse (as suggested earlier). Look at the vote at the SGM... I don't think it was without reason that Jossy's removal was by the smallest margin. The North Zone has politics closely linked to the deposed ASA BoD... a couple of this year's Provincial Selects coaches come from that zone and even coach their own kids at Provincial teams... if you want to talk about conflict of interest.

Yes-the running off of great tech people like neil and mccarthy, office staff like Cammaratra, Cahoon, Dunlop and Crowley etc and the firing of dedicated provincials coaches and their replacement by less qualified people who were politically tied to emsa and cmsa were a prime example of why reform was needed and the conflicts bylaw change will have a great benefit to us down the road. Someone did a search and found that 5 of the current staff were either players In my view these decisions were clearly politically motivated by the former board to shore up its support and part of their orgy of firings and hirings in their dying days. or family of Anthony Traficantes mens recreational team and we all know about Malakoanes ties to The deposed finance directors own company. The problem with having conflcted people is that even when they hire good people from their home district a taint attaches to the innocent candidate.

While I agree with Mr. Adams that the SGM sent a clear message, I don't think the message was sent to, or necessarily intended for, the ASA Staff as he states

The message was delivered directly to the board and was no reflection on the staff. (I do hope the CSA also got the message)

http://albertasoccer.com/clientuploads/ASANewsletter.08/January%202011%20newsletter.pdf

While I agree with Mr. Adams that the SGM sent a clear message, I don't think the message was sent to, or necessarily intended for, the ASA Staff as he states

The message was delivered directly to the board and was no reflection on the staff. (I do hope the CSA also got the message)

http://albertasoccer.com/clientuploads/ASANewsletter.08/January%202011%20newsletter.pdf

Agreed-although there may be a few new staff members who perhaps owe their allegiances elsewhere who should eamine whether they can serve the new board faithfully -i will leave it at that. I do not propose that staff should be let go. They should be given an opportunity to prove they can do the job. if they do it then they should stay-despite the fact most were hired with no protocol and in uncontested "contests" which occurred after good people were purged.

According to the new bylaw amendment Mr Chen has 3 more weeks to resign from the EMSA board or be ineligible as a Board member of ASA due to conflict. We need to hold our directors-even ones appointed by removed individuals-to the highest standards of upholding the bylaws. If he wants to stay and do the good work to help ASA heal and get to the AGM he should do that and discontinue any ASA hearings agaisnt individuals and districts. It is clear now that those hearing were not called properly with the districts not being specifically named and the notice being a nullity as it said january 2010. This makes the chair have no jurisdiction and the charges should have been quashed. Furthmore the chair of the hearings Mr Leighton is ineligible as the bylaws call for the committee to be chaired by a board member. He is not a Board member so the hearings he held are a nullity. No doubt as a lawyer Mr Chen will see that and take the proper steps to cancel these illegal hearings and help ASA heal coming up to the AGM. If he wants to resign from EMSA and run then he is welcome to do so. He should also call the AGM for as soon as possible. Why wait until April Mr chen?

What are Ray Calvin's qualifications to serve as a board member? What is his background in soccer? (Probably a mute point unless he decides to run for the board at the next AGM)

Also - is there anything preventing the ASA from holding their AGM right away instead of waiting until June? If not, maybe the membership should lobby the remaining board members to call the AGM now. There is no finance director to organize a budget anyway. What is the point in waiting?

What are Ray Calvin's qualifications to serve as a board member? What is his background in soccer? (Probably a mute point unless he decides to run for the board at the next AGM)

Also - is there anything preventing the ASA from holding their AGM right away instead of waiting until June? If not, maybe the membership should lobby the remaining board members to call the AGM now. There is no finance director to organize a budget anyway. What is the point in waiting?

Didnt the Judge say the AGM needed to be called by the end of April-nothing saying it couldnt be sooner. I dont see why the financials couldnt be audited and ready for mid march. Get it on and get it done. No point in having two guys who have no mandate whatsoever and an overworked and undirected staff trying to do a job.

Both Chen and Calvin are conflicted it would seem. Chen is on the EMSA Board, and according to the Big Country District website, Calvin is vice president. It may be sadly out of date, so any confirmation from a district contact would be welcome.

Both Chen and Calvin are conflicted it would seem. Chen is on the EMSA Board, and according to the Big Country District website, Calvin is vice president. It may be sadly out of date, so any confirmation from a district contact would be welcome.

Calvin likely is the vp of big country-that is why he was there trying to take away medals and cancelling tier 4 provincials this summer. Him and Chen have much to think about in the next three weeks-they will have to resign from their boards at the district level.

The District League in Eastern Ontario serving a player base of 50,000 players... charges $200.00 per team, mini or eleven aside in the competitive league, recreational leagues can be as low as free for registration and only have to pay for referees and field rental.

Then the club pays referees on top of that being billed by the league so centre and two lines at most 100 per game for eight home games.

How does that compare to other leagues charges ?

It was interesting to hear the response. I fail to see how having professionals on the CSA would have a negative impact on grass root community programs. Is the thinking that the CSA is going to ask for every increasing fees from the community players. ie $10/head to $20/head increasing to $40/head etc.

I personally think the professionals are needed to seek and attract sponsorship dollars the national program so desperately needs. What sponsorship dollars have the Provincial Presidents brought in? IMHO the community programs will continue to run regardless of what is happening with the National program.

That is precisely what needs to happen. Get business experts to focus on generating badly needed but also available corporate revenues. Big business wants to invest in the Canadian soccer family market, there is zero doubt about that, however, how many believe of them believe that spending their money on the CSA will produce a valuable return for their investment? My guess, is not too many. Sure you can name BMO and maybe a couple smaller ones but nothing compared to what you like see you in other nations such as the US, Australia (the latter also has Nutella and Sony like the CSA). If we had made the mens World Cup, no question this would have changed, it would have been the easiest sale in the world to make, but we haven't.

Volunteers for the grassroots, the absolute best technical staff focus entirely on technical items, competent staff operate the day to day operations of the Association, while the business gurus bring in the money. Focus on your expertise is what I am trying to say. Just my 2 cents

Archived