Alberta Soccer Dispute Continues ON

oc64

http://www.reformalbertasoccer.com/library/2010.12.07-DOCASASGMDEC10.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

A Director of the Association is not permitted to be a Director or Officer of any Active member or Associate member of the ASA. Within 30 days of a person being elected or appointed to the ASA Board, the person must resign from any director or officer position of any Active or Associate member failing which the Director will be terminated from the ASA Board.

Where does this leave Scott Chen, who is one of the two remaining ASA directors and is also a Director at Large with EMSA?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where does this leave Scott Chen, who is one of the two remaining ASA directors and is also a Director at Large with EMSA?

Well he has a choice. Resign from either board, but I would encourage him to get his sorry a** off the ASA Board. He wasn't put there by the will of the people, so don't embarass yourself Mr. Chen. Quit while you are ahead.

Impressive! As we move forward from the darkness of these middle ages of Alberta soccer let's not repeat the mistakes of the past. When the new board is elected at the AGM they will be tasked with the challenge of progressing beyond today's status. I hope all out there who are given the honor of guiding the game forward do so honorably. There can be no retribution towards the districts and associations that naively or unwillingly participated in the Charpentier debacle. The players, coaches and volunteers of those associations should not be held accountable for the actions of the dictators that seized control.

It does, however, behoove everyone to ensure that this does not happen again. Let's keep the momentum up and pressure the EMSA and CMSA membership, from the grass roots, to remove their boards and start anew. Moms, dads, players... get involved and ask your representatives what they plan to do now. I see a similar series of motions at an EMSA SGM, perhaps next week at their planning meeting (ouch... that is going to be one tense place to be). Someone with inside goods, please find the financial statements of EMSA that would pry open the ugliness of MC, IM and co. as surely EMSA monies must have been spent on this debacle. To the EMSA membership, ask the questions... did MC's dual duties ever overlap and at what expense to EMSA? Was EMSA money diverted away from its programs and operating costs to facilitate this atrocity? Will MC now step down, for the good of EMSA, so that EMSA might move forward within the new ASA with a clean sheet and a fresh start?

I believe a famous spider's uncle once said, "With great power comes great responsibility". If the reform movement fails to truly reform (i.e. backlash and retribution creep into the mix) then reform will die here in Alberta. The rest of Canada needs this to succeed... for the love of the game.

The remaining directors appoint new directors to sit until there is a AGM

I know this has probably been said before, but coach_in_alberta has to have made one of the pivotal moves in the last 12 months, with the creation of the Reform Alberta Soccer site. Without a doubt, having that website alive and getting the documents, and opinions out into the public view, was probably a really significat tool for reform. MasterCommunicator, or MC, probably curses the day that site went live, because it could not be countered in any way shape or form. Well done Coach!!

I know this has probably been said before, but coach_in_alberta has to have made one of the pivotal moves in the last 12 months, with the creation of the Reform Alberta Soccer site. Without a doubt, having that website alive and getting the documents, and opinions out into the public view, was probably a really significat tool for reform. MasterCommunicator, or MC, probably curses the day that site went live, because it could not be countered in any way shape or form. Well done Coach!!

[Applause], [standing O]

Not grandfathered. The bylaw change doesn't mention anything about that. Probably still gets his 30 days in which to decide.

True, but it doesn't really mention what happens in this situation because he was appointed over 30 days ago. Just sayin' what the 2 options are...

Guess the line "A Director of the Association is not permitted to be a Director or Officer of any Active member or Associate member of the ASA" probably supercedes anything else.

Yes, Tyler deserves a huge thank you and pat on the back. His the site gave those who aren't online soccer junkies like us V's, a site to get the info without all the noise and debate. Definitely a site model to consider for how to reform the CSA.

With reforming the CSA, today was a great example of how the system as lousy as it is, can work to bring reform. Evey PSO has pretty much the same by-laws of where members can call a SGM to bring reform. Once each PSO has bought into reform like ON has, the same process can be used to bring reform to the CSA. The big issue to overcome is much like the ASA of where the Districts have to see there is a better way to govern the sport. Sadly, much like the ASA board members that got turfed today the same problem exists everywhere. The key as I see it is educating those that pays so they can put press on those that vote. Failing that the choice is to use the government to bring change.

We'll see if the CSA accepts the result of the vote.

Which they won't.

Sadly, we're a long way from out of the woods yet. The CSA still intends on suspending the 3 associations and individuals plus they will be looking for a way to invalidate this SGM. You would think that throwing this group out twice would give them a hint that they're not wanted by the ASA membership but I find it hard to believe that Maestracci will give up that easily.

I know... but I can't imagine any of the interim directors will remain after the AGM. That is expected to be in April isn't it?

The unknown question is whether those intermin director will be of the same cloth of those that were removed today. If so, suspensions might be around the corner and planning to control the AGM would be in the plan too. I don't know these guys other than their track record with the documents where they show their reading is for their understanding.

Sadly, we're a long way from out of the woods yet. The CSA still intends on suspending the 3 associations and individuals plus they will be looking for a way to invalidate this SGM. You would think that throwing this group out twice would give them a hint that they're not wanted by the ASA membership but I find it hard to believe that Maestracci will give up that easily.

I don't hope the CSA will try anything but if they do it would be stupid as they got to know by now Sports Canada and the SDRCC have been watching and talking about them.

Great Result. If the CSA exec is smart they will back off now and allow the ASA to begin the rebuilding process. The membership worked through their bylaws and removed the board. This SGM only saw a day in court because Innes took it there. Unfortunately, I don't have any faith that the CSA exec will do the smart thing now.

The unknown question is whether those intermin director will be of the same cloth of those that were removed today. If so, suspensions might be around the corner and planning to control the AGM would be in the plan too. I don't know these guys other than their track record with the documents where they show their reading is for their understanding.

Right. And all the more reason that the reform movement needs to bring the issues directly to MC's front door at EMSA. The EMSA membership must put pressure on him to step down, for the good of EMSA and for the good of the game. Tell me that any team playing at Provincials representing EMSA won't have a black mark against them? Maybe, just maybe, if MC steps down EMSA can move forward in a positive way too... but I know he won't step down of his own accord, so the issues need to be brought directly to his from door.

Nevertheless, each small step in the right direction is still positive movement in the right direction.

As much as I dislike Peter M. personally, I don't think another round of firing is appropriate. For both of them, set clear expectations and give them a chance to live up to them.

That is how I feel too. Give them a chance to work with the board elected at the upcoming AGM and see what happens. My perception is that Richard is quite capable. I don't know Peter at all

I also hope that some of the dismissed staff are at least given an opportunity to return if they wish. (thinking of Dave, Margaret, and Joel specifically)

As much as I dislike Peter M. personally, I don't think another round of firing is appropriate. For both of them, set clear expectations and give them a chance to live up to them.

Exactly, as I said eariler. If reform is truly going to have a foot hold then there cannot be retribution and backlash. Move forward honorably and with integrity and reform will have credibility. Plus, a new board won't be elected until an AGM which won't happen for a while. Much can happen between now and then... CSA.

Also, who's left to prepare the financial statements and buget for the AGM?

The judge rules an AGM to be held by April 30.. maybe someone should suggest to Chen & Calvin to have the AGM called as quickly as possible under the bylaws.

Or are we getting ahead of ourselves? Maybe the next step is to seek out a statement from CSA to acknowledge they recognize this meeting and that the results won't be challenged.. but they probably have more backroom dealings to go through, first...

In the EMSA By-Laws removal of a director via SGM requires 2/3 majority... hence Mr. Chen's mistake earlier today. But have a glimpse of the Duties of the Directors, President under Article 6 of EMSA's By-Laws:

PRESIDENT: the President shall act as official spokesman for the Association, shall represent the Association at all meetings of the Alberta Soccer Association (A.S.A.), Edmonton Soccer Association (E.S.A.), and the Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues (E.F.C.L.), and shall liaise between the Association and other Soccer Associations, Zone Organizations and/or groups. He shall chair the Annual General Meeting, Special General Meetings, Meetings of the Board, and Executive Committee, and shall be ex-officio of all committees of the Association. He shall oversee the activities of the Executive Director and Association Staff.

The President chairs all AGMs and SGMs... i.e. controls the very meetings where the President might be voted out of office. Can you say 'Dictator for Life'? How is it possible to have an election for an office whereby the election is overseen by the office to be elected? Wow. EMSA members... there is work to be done.

Archived