Alberta Soccer Dispute Continues ON

oc64

This is precisely the argument some of us in Alberta have been making for years. We have a $3million + corporate body serving 80,000 + clients in the province directly (plus their supporters) with a governance structure that is archaic, paternal, and aimed at serving a minority or themselves. Their strategic purpose is lacking, the planning short term and short sighted, and have a dismal record for putting on place solid operational programs. Bottom line is that without the volunteers at the grass roots, this structure would have failed in any other real business. I guess it failed in this business as well. The time is ripe in Alberta for the Districts to put together a solid, non-conflicted corporate structure, with a staff of technically competent professionals to set a new course for soccer in this province, one that serves all the members, no matter where they choose to gather and play the Game.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is precisely the argument some of us in Alberta have been making for years. We have a $3million + corporate body serving 80,000 + clients in the province directly (plus their supporters) with a governance structure that is archaic, paternal, and aimed at serving a minority or themselves. Their strategic purpose is lacking, the planning short term and short sighted, and have a dismal record for putting on place solid operational programs. Bottom line is that without the volunteers at the grass roots, this structure would have failed in any other real business. I guess it failed in this business as well. The time is ripe in Alberta for the Districts to put together a solid, non-conflicted corporate structure, with a staff of technically competent professionals to set a new course for soccer in this province, one that serves all the members, no matter where they choose to gather and play the Game.

Good points. What was very interesting at the SGM was this very concept-the deposed directors with their spokesmen Mario and Kern making comments like" i have been on this board for 33 years and no one can tell me i am surplus-look at yourselves?" or Mario asking the delegates if they talked to all their members about whether they agreed with the SGM. This sense of entitlement and the irony that Mario never discussed one single radical decision he made with the district directors but he thinks they should have to ask all their members before booting him. Hopefully we get new board members who arent conflicted and who want to join the Alberta soccer Association not for what it will mean for them or their district. They also need to know that they are actually beholden to the membership and need to consult them and be accountable to them. This is what the SGM was for.

Sad day for Canadian Soccer - press release that speaks volumes:

This is to announce that Carolina Morace, Head Coach of the Canadian Women’s National Soccer Team, along with her staff, intend to leave the Canadian Soccer Association following the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup taking place in Germany this summer.

“The Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) has a strategy to achieve their goals that differs from my strategy,” said Morace.

“I am proud of what my players have accomplished over this past year, winning the CONCACAF Women’s World Cup Qualification Tournament in Mexico in November of 2010, the 2010 Cyprus Cup in February and Brazil’s 4-Nations Tournament in December. Just a few days ago, the team placed second at the 4 –Nations Tournament in China.”

“I am staying to execute my plan over the next few months because my players have worked hard and deserve to be prepared in the best way possible for the 2011 FIFA Women’s World Cup Germany.”

“My primary focus at this time is to prepare my players for the experience of representing Canada on the world's largest stage, and I will continue to be available to discuss my team and our preparations with the media at any time. In respect of my contract with the CSA, I cannot answer any questions regarding this decision until the World Cup is over.”

You can go-hope you get passed security. Mubarack/Mario will be looking to hold onto power.

Will be interesting to see them use security as all one has to do is refer to how the SGM was handled by the chair to get around that one. Hopefully the huge difference in how the districts voted the Muppet districts have figured out what is wrong to save their own bacon.

Will be interesting to see them use security as all one has to do is refer to how the SGM was handled by the chair to get around that one. Hopefully the huge difference in how the districts voted the Muppet districts have figured out what is wrong to save their own bacon.

Hey I dont want to discourage anyone from going-just saying the way Mario handles dissent is well known-and referring to precedent and bylaws will not likely help. Limiting delegates-mario is the chair and chief cook and bottle washer at this meeting-he will likely be counting the ballots too.:-) Many are saying there are zones in Emsa who are taking a solid look at replacing their embarassing leaders on the Emsa board. God bless and good speed. One can imagine the good that could be accomplished in Edmonton and ASA if there were some new people there prepared to work with others instead of continue decades old personal greivances that have no bearing on the present or the future.

Now I'm really torqued. Alberta reps voted to oppose the 2010 reforms at the CSA SGM on the first vote. If it's those two unelected fully compromised clowns left on the board after the SGM, what part of don't you see the light at the end of the tunnel, being the train that smacked you upside the head at the ASA SGM, don't you get?

AND the second vote on the Ontario compromise. Somehow the notion of representing the voice of soccer in the province is lost on Mr Adams and his contingent. To paraphrase Kennedy Mr Adams, ask not what Canadian Soccer can do for you, sir, ask what YOU can do for Canadian soccer - vote for reform, just as over 60% of the constituents at the ASA SGM did.

^

Question really is how did Richard Adams who's an employee of the ASA and not voted to the ASA BOD by the ASA Membership get accredited to vote at this CSA SGM.

If Adams is casting the votes he is well aware that the ASA members who sent direction to his office voted 100% in favor of option #1. If Alberta has voted against the next ASA Board will relieve him of his duties. He must know his job is on the line if he is casting the votes. I thought that Chen and Calvin would be the voters?

Trying to follow on Twitter but it's impossible to figure out exactly what's happened. Tweets are very confusing. One thing that seems clear though is that Richard Adams was voting and he voted no on the vote for option 1 - the original reform package. No idea how he voted on the compromise that failed just before the break.

Correction: Scott Chen voted - Richard Adams was not in attendance, incorrect information was provided by an attendee.

He voted No for 1 and 2 but Yes on the final one which is reform in 2015 with no Provincial Pres's on the CSA BOD. WHORRAH!!!!

I guess the Presidents wanted a few more years with their snouts in the trough. No big deal to them, most would probably want to move on by then anyway. Oh well at least there will be reform eventually, just a few more years in the wilderness first. The first thing a new ASA Board should do is sack Richard; Chen and Calvin will be done anyway.

Correction, Richard Adams was not the voting rep and was not in attendance - my apologies to him for the incorrect information I was provided with.

Well I guess the jury is out on Adams' involvement until confirmed. DeVos indicated he was there, you say not. Whoever it was and I suspect our two remaining wayward BoD, they are going to have to do a lot of explaining on how they arrived at the conclusion to vote no on the first two motions, given the views of the districts.

It's been confirmed that Richard was most definitely not there. Chen, with I'm sure, Calvin's support, bears the responsibility for this outrage. It should be possible to find their email addresses so Canadians can express their thoughts directly to these two lowlifes.

I guess the Presidents wanted a few more years with their snouts in the trough. No big deal to them, most would probably want to move on by then anyway. Oh well at least there will be reform eventually, just a few more years in the wilderness first. The first thing a new ASA Board should do is sack Richard; Chen and Calvin will be done anyway.

The first thing you should do is apologize kj52, yet again you've run with innuendo and rumour and suggested this time someone (Richard) should be sacked.

I'm sure Coach Rich et al were wringing their hands at the thought of more blood in the water.

Was it not you who wanted to move on after the SGM? Same pile of BS different day

Based on this I withdraw my earlier criticism of Mr. Adams (based on the DeVos Twitter) and apologize therefor. However, I remain outraged at the behaviour of the AB delegates, whoever they were. If it were Calvin and Chen, was this an outcome determined at a particular planning meeting held recently? Perhaps Mr. Adams, in his capacity as ED can tell us who represented this province at the CSA SGM?

RAS tweet now indicates Mr. Chen was the rep. Why am I not surprised at this - a glaring, in the headlights, example of what was/wrong with the system. One person, putting his lowly association/personal agenda before the good of the Canadian game.

Based on this I withdraw my earlier criticism of Mr. Adams (based on the DeVos Twitter) and apologize therefor. However, I remain outraged at the behaviour of the AB delegates, whoever they were. If it were Calvin and Chen, was this an outcome determined at a particular planning meeting held recently? Perhaps Mr. Adams, in his capacity as ED can tell us who represented this province at the CSA SGM?

RAS tweet now indicates Mr. Chen was the rep. Why am I not surprised at this - a glaring, in the headlights, example of what was/wrong with the system. One person, putting his lowly association/personal agenda before the good of the Canadian game.

For all the criticism of the previous BOD (their meddling in the ops of the association) is it now yours and several other's mandate to question each and every twist and turn of ASA?

Richard is professional, well spoken, manages to communicate effectively yet all I see is pettiness and a general mis-trust of the guy from several on this blog.

He's the ED not your errand boy, if I got as many demanding to know why/questioning emails I'd either to tell you to pound sand or find another job ...... I fear the latter will take place over the coming months.

We've lost far too many good staff over the past few years, give the guy and the membership a break, and get off his case ..... maybe he'll stick around or is that something you don't want?

Thanks to RAS for clearing up that the ASA Rep has been properly ID'ed now as not Richard. My apologies to Richard Adams. The ASA reformers still need to question why their rep went against their districts wishes as 1 wonders how big of a role ASA had in pushing the 1st 2 options out of the way.

The first thing you should do is apologize kj52, yet again you've run with innuendo and rumour and suggested this time someone (Richard) should be sacked.

I'm sure Coach Rich et al were wringing their hands at the thought of more blood in the water.

Was it not you who wanted to move on after the SGM? Same pile of BS different day

Richard was not at the SGM. He has confirmed that and indicated that he provided Calvin and Chen with the information that there was 100% approval of the first governance option from the responding members. Calvin and Chen will be gone at the next ASA AGM guaranteed. Apologies to Richard, the information that he was there was from an attendee at the SGM who was obviously mistaken.

@soccer72

Let me repeat the apology. I surely have no axe to grind with Mr. Adams, based on the now updated attendance. I am not looking for his head, nor do I want that. It would appear that he did his due diligence, and then was derailed by the delegates. I'll say it again, if my earlier post offended you or him, I apologize, unreservedly. I wish him no ill will, he obviously did his job.

But let's be honest. He's the executive director of a "boardless" association. He's in essence the only credible spokesperson for that association. This was a significant event, in the governance of Canadian soccer. If I can't ask that the senior staffer in the association simply tell me who represented me, who should I ask? That being said, I have no plans to further debate the issue, and I shall let it drop. Like I said, I wish him well in his uncomfortable role.

If Adams is casting the votes he is well aware that the ASA members who sent direction to his office voted 100% in favor of option #1. If Alberta has voted against the next ASA Board will relieve him of his duties. He must know his job is on the line if he is casting the votes. I thought that Chen and Calvin would be the voters?

Correction: Chen voted, Richard Adams was not in attendance, incorrect information provided by an attendee.

Calvin has sent an email to all members of ASA explaining why they voted. Apparently they felt that it would not be in the best interests of the nation to implement reform too quickly and it would be best to have a unanimous agreement on reform. As well, because the majority of the ASA member districts effectively abstained by not giving their opinions, Calvin and Chen didn't feel there was a majority opinion in favor of option 1 or 2. Good to know they placed the welfare of the nation ahead of our petty wishes - two truer statesmen will not soon be found I'm sure.

reformalbertasoccer.com has Calvin and Chen's email posted.

Archived