TFC trialists?

The rumor is Alessandro Del Piero, but I'll believe it when I see it.

The DP rumor could just be DDR getting made one to save money.

That would be very anticlimatic.

That said, is there another Canadian DP out there?

The rumor is Alessandro Del Piero, but I'll believe it when I see it.

The DP rumor could just be DDR getting made one to save money.

That might turn out to be another Johann Cruyff as TFC assistant coach type rumour. Somebody deliberately being fed far fetched information in the anticipation that they would subsequently post it all over the internet. Worth bearing in mind the Mo Johnston quotes (might try to track them down later) about there being very little chance of the second DP roster spot being used this season. When I did a bit of googling on this yesterday it also appeared that ADP was under contract with Juventus until 2011 so would not be available on a Bosman during the summer window. Time will tell I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Del_Piero

On 17 July 2009, Alex extended his contract with Juventus by 1 more year until June 30, 2011 in Pinzolo while training for pre-season, thus practically ensuring that he would retire at the club with which he started his professional career.[35]. During his renewal, he said “I am happy at Juventus and we are competitive. I want to keep playing for as long as I can and I’m certain that for at least two more years I will be at the top level.” He marked his 445th Serie A appearance, breaking the all-time club record, with a brace against Genoa on 14 February 2010. He is also currently the all-time top scorer for Juventus, having scored more than 250 goals in all competitions. He has also made over 600 appearances in official matches for the club, breaking the record of Gaetano Scirea who had 552 appearances for Juventus.

Richard Hastings is available. That would be a match made in heaven.

Match made in heaven? What?

Yeah, I wonder if TFC could snap him up just to shut out the other two...

PSV already has him.

Rob Friend, or maybe Kevin McKenna.

Jono De Guzman??

I never really thought about Jono. He is out of contract right? That would be awesome if true, but I doubt it will happen. We could knock two birds with one stone by doing that, help TFC and get him capped.

I never really thought about Jono. He is out of contract right? That would be awesome if true, but I doubt it will happen. We could knock two birds with one stone by doing that, help TFC and get him capped.

Jono would take up an International spot...

Assuming JDG2 is a dual citizen of Canada and the Netherlands he would count as a domestic player for TFC. Being a domestic player has nothing to do with who you play for at the international level. It is determined by being a citizen or permanent resident. Also worth noting that releasing Joseph Nane would do nothing to help add a second DP given he is on the development roster and there is already one more domestic player on the roster than there has to be under the new regulations.

Assuming JDG2 is a dual citizen of Canada and the Netherlands he would count as a domestic player for TFC. Being a domestic player has nothing to do with who you play for at the international level. It is determined by being a citizen or permanent resident. Also worth noting that releasing Joseph Nane would do nothing to help add a second DP given he is on the development roster and there is already one more domestic player on the roster than there has to be under the new regulations.

As far as i understand there's no longer a "development" roster, the senior roster is now 24 spots (with an additional 2 spots for homegrown players).

edit: Never mind, looks like they didn't change the rules after all.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/regulations

edit 2: Oh yeah, i saw 2010 and assumed it was the new regulations...

* The 2010 roster regulations are still being finalized by the MLS Competition Committee. The following information pertains to 2009 only and will be updated as soon as possible.

They have still to post the updated 2010 regulations on that regulations page, for what it's worth. Joseph Nane was described as being signed to a "developmental contract" in a press release after the new CBA was agreed:-

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/04/toronto-signs-nane-contract

Toronto FC announced Monday they have signed 2010 MLS SuperDraft pick Joseph Nane to a developmental contract. As per league and team rules, no details were released.

Archived