FC Edmonton 2010

fishman

I enjoyed the game on Sunday, for a friendly it was entertaining and both clubs went forward at every opportunity. I do think if something more serious had been on the line the result would have favoured Colo-Colo to a greater extent. They knew why they were there and played attacking football without worrying about exposing themselves to counters. To FCE's credit the coaching staff did not hold the players back, so we were treated to a lot of end-to-end action. There was a pretty good response in the upper rows when FCE scored (even though some of it was from Colo fans) so I think there was a little more support for the locals than previously alluded to. The supporters group did a great job with a small group, we could hear you guys clearly up in row 36, a couple of times over top of the very enthusiastic Colo group down in the middle front. I really like the way this team is coached, the Dutch infuence is very obvious. The only downside was having to watch Mike Traficante doing the ceremonial kickoff but at least they didn't acknowledge Mario Charpentier's presence down in row 4, I would have thrown up.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you. Colo-Colo didn't seem to be taking it too seriously to being with, but after we scored first they certainly didn't want to lose. The stunned reaction from all the Chilean fans was priceless actually. I'm pretty sure Colo-Colo could've notched it up a bit, but on the other hand they certainly didn't "give us the close loss" either. As for the attendance, there were probably more locals in the stands than I've mentioned, but the sea of Chilean support really drowned out everyone else. Everyone knew this was just a kickabout, so I'm sure some of the local Chileans were probably pleased to see FC Edmonton do well, or at the very least give Colo-Colo a real match and not just target shooting.

I'll wear that as a badge of honour that you could hear us over the Colo-Colo fans. We thought we were holding our own (and quite pleased about it given how badly we were outnumbered).

I also like how the team is managed. This seems to be a general theme going around. Almost everything the club's done, could be better, but we all know just how much worse it could be. As far as the coaching staff though, that's a big plus to the good. Even some of the mainstream media guys seem to be saying "this looks good" as opposed to the almost overwhelming initial response of "What? Again!? are you nuts?!"

I'm not sure which article, but one of them notes the fact that FC Edmonton, by salary, is the third ranked sports team in the city (obviously after the Olilers and Eskimos). Now, that may be a two-edged sword, i.e. is it sustainable - which it's not at current attendance levels. The fact though, that the media has also noted that this is not just a "jump in the water's fine" operation. They've assumed quite bit losses for the first few years and budgeted for it. I know Tom Fath was a bit disappointed with the attendance on Sunday, but luckily he understands the reality of a) relatively short notice, B) people busy with other father's day activities (which might not include a soccer game) and c) the fact that the club is still relatively unknown.

Oh, and don't worry... if they'd noted Mario's presence I think River_City had a chant all cooked up and ready to go. ;)

Shaw TV reporter Jordan Greenly seems to be covering FC Edmonton every week on Mondays. He gives a report about the team and has had interviews with Dwight Lodeweges. Dwight also showcases weekly drills on the coverage. So far there has been a passing drill and a defensive drill. Feel free to check out the link below:

http://start.shaw.ca/Start/enCA/Local+Content/Alberta/Edmonton/ThisWeekinSports.htm

Club GM blames lack of ethnic turnout, defends ticket prices

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/soccer/2010/06/28/14540781.html

His comments about marketing soccer in the same manner with which he sold baseball to Edmonton speaks volumes about the gaps that might never be bridged.

Edmonton has a large, vibrant ethnic community; they are football-savvy and could certainly provide an enviable base on which to build support. The current FC Edmonton roster has good cultural representation - Dutch, Chilean, Brazilian, Italian, Sikh, etc.. Rather than dismiss the importance of ethnic groups, Mr. Kowalchuk should find ways to connect with them.

The ethnic groups want to support soccer - they do it with the local amateur teams that represent them, and they certainly fly their colours during the EDSA Mini-World Cup. But like many Edmontonians, they find it hard to rally behind professional soccer initiatives when they see it dumbed-down in attempts to bring in soccer moms and dads.

I've said it before, I will say it again...they need to market these "international" matches well in advance. Three weeks ain't enough. They changed the game at Foote from a match with FC Edmonton and Vitoria to Colo-Colo...last minute decision (prompted by Colo-Colo demanding a minimum number of matches to come here, I know). But instead of acknowledging the realities, he sells out the ethnic community. And I'm sorry, the ticket prices are steep.

So Kowalchuk will go back to marketing his way. I'm not sure that statement is a good one...his CMISL-brand of marketing hasn't done much for the boarded game.

They're simple doing everything I warned them -- and others, I'm sure -- wouldn't work. Even in a few cases where they're following advice, they're doing it so incompetently the effort ends out being negligible.

The arrogance is astounding and this is why it's hard for me to have any emotional investment other than concern for the damage it's doing to future efforts, when someone knows what they're doing.

jloome, my biggest concern about FCE is not the on-field product. For a first year program, it is quite good and is very well coached. It features good local (i.e. Alberta-based) talent, has supplemented itself with experienced imports and has been competitive in its matches.

My issue remains how our community perceives the team. Its marketing is not progressive, attractive nor does it build its brand. It does not reach out to the passionate football fans, it fails to resonate with the youth, it doesn't connect in meaningful ways with the competitive community and it hasn't created good ties with the associations and districts.

I dunno...I hope that they read these comments made by people that care...and often-times are people with the skill-sets they should be leveraging to build a program that can last. The owners seem sincere and willing to lose money before they make any. The coaches are second-to-none. The players are keen as mustard. But perhaps the front-office staff needs to concede they don't have all of the answers.

David Hume said “When men are most sure and arrogant they are commonly most mistaken."

Unfortunately, I would say that when you have a fair amount of wealth and success, it's sometimes easier to disconnect yourself from reality and hear what you want.

I wouldn't assume either of the owners are reading these boards.

I genuinely think the issue here is that the ownership has faith in some people they simply shouldn't have faith in.

So far, that doesn't include the two coaches, who are really the only things the club has demonstrated it has going for it. They'll probably put out a pretty competitive lineup, no matter what. At the NASL/USSF Div 2, building a cohesive and supportive team is huge.

Problematically, the owners were warned in advance about all of this -- if they even bothered to read the info on offer -- and went this route anyway. This isn't about making soccer work in Edmonton, no matter what Tom and Mel are telling themselves. It's just a pet project for them.

Exhibitions during the World Cup? Ludicrous.

Charging up to $45 a ticket for an exhibition match, between two teams few here know, on a world cup Sunday that featured England v. Germany and Argentina V. Mexico? Idiotic.

Footing the bill for a South American team's Canadian tour and only getting one game out of it, then only getting 5,000 for that? Embarassing.

This will never work, because the current front office lacks the requisite drive, ingenuity and work ethic to build the brand here. The fact that, after four months, that website still looks the way it does is proof positive.

If Tom and Bruno want their team to work, they need a dynamism they're never going to get from this group — assuming NASL ever even gets USSF certification. The team doesn't even have a league yet for next year, technically.

This is so demoralizing. You give people good advice, and instead they piss away the kind of money that could change lives on a lark.

Hey FCE I really don't think there is a big Brazilian population in Edmonton and the Portuguese population as I count my self in these group not all of us are fans of Brazil or its club football that's like saying why don't the Mexicans follow the Chilean league

I think, most years there probably would be more of a walk up crowd... however the problem is that the majority of the Chilean fans put all their effort into the first game against FCE. Heck, we didn't even find out until that game that Colo-Colo were sticking around. People make plans and most probably figured "I already went and did my thing." With the world cup going on as well, there's also another outlet for their national passion. I don't know how big the Brazilian community is, but I doubt it's as big the (huge) Edmonton Chilean community and it's probably a bit more jaded about Vitoria. Also, the fact that I cringed both times I saw billboards (in two separate locations!) advertising the FCE/Vitoria match on Sunday. It probably created some confusion for the (extremely) casual fan.

I am a bit disappointed by the tone of the article. It could be Mel's comments being taken out of context, but it sure sounds like "well, we tried to go with the ethnics, but now we're gonna try to attract the REAL Canadians..." That makes me extremely nervous. The communities will support the cause, if they feel they're being represented.

I echo a lot of the sentiments here, the ownership seems committed and in it for the long haul, the players are keen and the coaching staff are beyond compare... it's the management that makes me the most worried. The two key issues for me are the comments about "marketing it like baseball" and the defense of the ticket prices being cheap compared to TFC/MTL/VAN. The first shows a distinct lack of understanding of how to properly market a soccer team, and the second shows a lack of understanding of the realities of the Edmonton market.

How badly snowed are the owners by management? Let's put this in context by restating what Kowalchuk said, bluntly:

"We can't sell soccer to people of foreign extraction."

Can you imagine the elefantine, whopper, giant, nuclear-sized balls it takes to say you can't sell soccer to foreigners?

And yet, he'll get away with it.

Obviously, they should've been meeting with every community cultural and football group months ago, just to politely answer questions, and should still be organizing public events.

They're just not working hard enough and they don't realize what it takes.

Well with those comments it almost makes me not want to go to a game and I'm a football nut I've been to TFC games CSL games even WQ for Canada!!

To blame your failure on your young fan base is idiotic I was really excited about FCE but now I'm starting to get on the fence

Well with those comments it almost makes me not want to go to a game and I'm a football nut I've been to TFC games CSL games even WQ for Canada!!

To blame your failure on your young fan base is idiotic I was really excited about FCE but now I'm starting to get on the fence

It's disappointing this is happening. The Club needs to do a better job of getting the word out.

It's a simple concept. You can't advertise a mere 3 weeks in advance.

There are Cabarets in Regina...a place where almost nothing happens, and they start a month, if not more, in advance. A sporting event is larger and needs a longer build up. Stop complaining about how you can't draw people when you've done no ground work.

I sat at home watching the Ads between the WC games on the CBC when along comes the New Whitecaps logo and the MLS ad stating Season tickets from $319.

Anyone from EFC catch that ?

So any way that Leads me to think in this direction. All the local TV nightly news magazines have so far been favourable to the Club in their sports segments . So whats would be wrong with Coming back from the Ad break with the Club crest in full view, With the following Copy

" CBC/CTV/City/Global, Edmonton Sports news, brought to you in Part By FC Edmonton. Bring Pro Soccer back to Edmonton in 2011"

this could be varied in time with copy like "FC Edmonton. Sing 'till it hurts"

"FC Edmonton-There's a new Posse in town"

Etc and so forth.

Okay it aint cheap but neither is a 90% empty Commonwealth. But a least it puts the club in the general Public's mind. It might even get people asking questions.

Dont get me wrong. Shaking Colo colo tree is great for the Teams morale. If you can run this lot close well....roll on to the Voyagers. But if in twelve months the town is still none the wiser as to where the Club is at then it ain't got a hope.

Lets face it How many people who play and watch soccer in Edmonton actually know what the V is?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'm going to give FCE the benefit of the doubt here. I'd bet the quotes caught Mel at a moment of frustration and are a bit misrepresentative. I'm going to call for a bit of calm... as I said, owners, players, and especially coaches are all more or less fine. That's 3/4 of the operation... which is 75% more than what we had last year at this time. We've all got expectations and opinions here, and I don't think there's an easy answer as to how to engage the general public.

I strongly believe this is our last chance to get a stable team in Edmonton. Soccer hasn't been more popular as a spectator sport in Canada since the 1970's, we're riding the wave of the TFC/VAN/MTL success.... if this screws up... well I can't imagine us getting another chance. Am I happy about how some of the stuff's gone? no... but I think constructive criticism is a better route than open rebellion. If we turn our backs and tear this down we'll be left with nothing.

Guest ricardinho

Ok, I understand Mr. Kowalchuks concern about doing what they were told to do.

I do not think they were told to bring a non-professional (or youth) squad all the way from Brazil via Toronto to play a game in Edmonton. If someone told him that and he listened, we have a problem.

No youth squads (not even Manchester Utd. or Barcelona) are going to draw thounsands of people at $30-$45 a seat, at least not in here whether it is ethnic Canada or not. These Vitoria guys have not played a single 1st division game. To watch a non-professional team, they should have had FCE vs Calgary United, or a rematch FCE vs Colo Colo.

The Colo Colo situation was way different because they were doing pre-season with their entire team (except from the players at the WC) and that is a great idea that I dont think it was taken advantage 100%. To attract the Chilean community, and anybody else attached ot it, they could have had a signing session with all or at least a few players where if you buy a pair of tickets and a shirt you have the right to be in.

Just some ideas. They are still on time and have a game vs Portsmouth that they can rely on.

Take care.

Ok, I understand Mr. Kowalchuks concern about doing what they were told to do.

I do not think they were told to bring a non-professional (or youth) squad all the way from Brazil via Toronto to play a game in Edmonton. If someone told him that and he listened, we have a problem.

No youth squads (not even Manchester Utd. or Barcelona) are going to draw thounsands of people at $30-$45 a seat, at least not in here whether it is ethnic Canada or not. These Vitoria guys have not played a single 1st division game. To watch a non-professional team, they should have had FCE vs Calgary United, or a rematch FCE vs Colo Colo.

The Colo Colo situation was way different because they were doing pre-season with their entire team (except from the players at the WC) and that is a great idea that I dont think it was taken advantage 100%. To attract the Chilean community, and anybody else attached ot it, they could have had a signing session with all or at least a few players where if you buy a pair of tickets and a shirt you have the right to be in.

Just some ideas. They are still on time and have a game vs Portsmouth that they can rely on.

Take care.

All good points

It is amazing how Mel the clown is still around? Really? Who's idea was it to bring these teams here in the first place? Colo Colo and Vitoria? Seriously? They thought that they would get huge crowds from these teams? NO ONE knows who these teams are and no one cares about these teams.

Wow the management is truly misinformed about soccer and the Edmonton market.......and MEL, stop comparing FCE to TFC / Whitecaps or The Impact! Sheesh man, no wonder you have failed so many times! EDMONTON is a different market!

It is amazing how Mel the clown is still around? Really? Who's idea was it to bring these teams here in the first place? Colo Colo and Vitoria? Seriously? They thought that they would get huge crowds from these teams? NO ONE knows who these teams are and no one cares about these teams.

Wow the management is truly misinformed about soccer and the Edmonton market.......and MEL, stop comparing FCE to TFC / Whitecaps or The Impact! Sheesh man, no wonder you have failed so many times! EDMONTON is a different market!

Out of (serious) interest, what would the market in Edmonton be?

It's actually not a complicated formula. The market for professional soccer is professional soccer fans, the ones who already follow the game elsewhere. There are tens of thousands in the average Canadian city because there are hundreds of thousands who are first- , second- or third-generation Canadian.

The question is how to reach them. The answer is by looking at what has worked in other major cities. Toronto, Seattle and now Philadelphia have all applied the formula, and Montreal had long understood that you go out into the community -- and I mean, you press a lot of leather to a lot of pavement -- to meet he hardcore fan.

These guys should be arranging pub nights, open houses, meeting with cultural groups, with soccer clubs. They're doing some of that, but not even at close to the rate it needs to happen.

They can point all they want to budgetary constraint, but the other absolutely essential ingredient is to present a professional front, including a solid web presence, staff who understand football culture and a persistent media and community social presence.

This has been conveyed to them. But it requires a lot of work, ridiculous amounts in the first couple of years. So far, I don't see it.

Beyond that, there's Edmonton's role in the future of the NASL -- if there is one -- to consider. The league has some strong members and some shaky ones and is still legally and professionally battling to impress the United States Soccer Federation in order to get second division status, ahead of or concurrent with the USL.

A lot comes down to how foolish they are with the coin. A British paper claimed the internationals were costing FC edmonton $1.7 million in its story on Portsmouth coming over (and turf concerns). To me, this represents a level of budgetary blood-letting that needs to be immediately staunched.

But I have a cuththroat, "this-thing-will-succeed-come-hell-or-highwater" attitude about a local football club. Football is one of the great passions in my life. My understanding is that those involved see this much more as a grand journey and attempt at being civic minded, and they may end up absorbing much more loss than is really necessary in the first two years as a consequence.

Astoundingly, my quite excellent seats for TFC's league game this week -- generously tossed my way by a friend with seasons seats -- are only $40 each face value, less than the cost of an assigned seat ticket at the Vitoria-Colo Colo Game.

What I was referring to in terms of the Edmonton market was the international games. Canada is constantly watching European Football via all major sport tv stations, etc so they decide to bring over South American teams that only South Americans truly follow? Why?!?!? We are constantly bombarded with European soccer clubs so if they wanted to drum up some serious interest in selling an international game, you have to bring European clubs. And if you're not able to this year because of the World Cup duties, then don't bring any international games. Why keep losing money?

Although the attempt to bring professional soccer to Edmonton is fantastic, it will be a LONG process. Edmonton sports fans are fickle fans. So management may think they have an abundance of support because you guys on this forum are hardcore and may pump them up a bit but seriously the common-folk Edmontonian has no clue about FC Edmonton.

Just my 2 cents worth

Thanks guys. as you know, I'm new-ish in town (and country) so for me to start saying which groups and demographs should be pushed is beyond me. I grew up in the UK where you support your home town clubs. Be it Football (Leeds United) Rugby (Leeds RL/Rhinos) and (Yorkshire) County Cricket Club! I'm more likley to convert from Roman Catholicism to Japanese Shintoism than desert my Sports clubs. It does not mean that, when the money is there i wont rock up to the FCE, But I have the problem where family comes first so the $100.00 outings (yes I actually have a five a side team at home) have to be carefully planned.

That been said, Jloome. I work with a guy; Big Eskies and Oilers fan. Western Canadian as they come. But get this.... He was Born in Barcalona So Is a huge Barca Fan. You think he'd be ripe for dragging out to the EFC, but it ain't happened. Much that he's intrested. It just not in his face enough for him to make the connection. And I think a lot of it has to do with Foote. To many people the Football lines do (i'm sorry to say) convey a 'were not a serious outfit' image to the general population. Also those goals with pointy things that make it look like your a GAA club dont help.

To some extent that flows into Soccer4life's comments about the internationals. I think Pompey will be the last British or European Side we'll get to see in Edmonton until we get a stadium with a grass field. (I refer back to strobes comments on the Celtic -Man City knock backs FCE got when the decission to put down field turf in the Commonwealth was made. Not that you can blame the Esk's for that. Do you think the CFL would have sanctioned another Grey Cup on grass? Nar, me neither.)

What I see at present is a serious team (players and coaches) and a serious, if not altogether soccer conversent, backroom/boardroom. But the venue is not helping to promote their cause. Other than borrowing some field space down at Ellerslie Rugby club and building some temporary bleachers. I would not know what to suggest.

I would however note that Edmonton in General is crying out for an intermediate size Venue anyway , Regardless of FCE future endevours.

Archived