FC Edmonton 2010

fishman

A little disappointed with the stadium news, but on short notice, what do you expect.

I'd really like to see this club get a small stadium for soccer. Most of the NASL attendance is low but a 6,000 seater, soccer specific stadium (with potential expansion room) isn't too expensive by stadium standards.

True about the stadium. It would not be that expensive. To use Foote Field construction numbers as an example: The total cost of the Foote Field bleachers, including the 1,500 seat west (track) side and another 1,500 on the artificial turf (east side) of the building, was $508,092 + GST in the spring of 2001.

Even adjusting for inflation, a 6000 seater built with stands like Foote would come in under $2 mil.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep saying we should kick that crappy baseball team out and reconvert Telus field to a SSS. There was even an article in today's Edmonton Journal about how the PCL doesn't want to bring AAA baseball back to Edmonton unless there's an "act of god" which changes our geography and makes us closer to the US border or somesuch. The other option I like is to invest some money into Clarke to bring back an actual stadium and grass pitch. It's co-location with Commonwealth would make it handy for "big games" as well.

p.s. jloome - I sent you a PM (finally!)

Looks like they're slowly adding some features (next game, as well as kickoff counter) to the website in an attempt to upgrade the look and feel. Better than no change I suppose.

Interestingly, there's a new podcast on "The Dutch Dimension"

Stickin with some stadium ideas, the Eskimos are replacing all of the seats in Commonwealth next year with new ones, so that could mean cheap 2nd hand seats for a SS at Foote or Clarke?

Dowloading the seats to Clark is a good idea, but you need a terraced framework to attach them to, which could be costly. A 15 row 33' Bleacher capable of holding 285 would /could set you back about $22K so space for approx 6000 fans would set you back about $500000. I would point out that i'm talking Aluminium 'temporary' bleachers mind you, which would make the place look a bit temporary, and would still need an uprating of facilities (toilets), but mothballing the older seats for a later date would indeed reduce the cost. All depends if the rehab work at the commonwealth is covered as a LEED project for recyled content (it should be).

Actually like strobe I don't have a problem in developing Clarke but I'm unsure as to wether been in the physical shadow of the Eskimos' Commonwealth (lets be fair it IS their stadium now) may well not become a psycological one, but I defer to your greater knowlege of the city and its sporting public.

As for Converting the Phone Booth. Timbers play in a 'converted' ball park, as do Tampa.

First professional soccer team recorded as have played in a ballpark on a regular basis?

Derby County FC in England. They played at Sir Francis Ley's BaseBall ground from 1885 until 1997.

Although the stopped pitching practice back in 1898.

Personal Prefrence. I don't know who owns the land but... I would like to see an Specific Stadium built on the open land to the East side of the South Campus LRT. Its close enough to Foote to still retain the name (in some form) and the link to the LRT is a gimme. Plenty of student activity from which to draw 18-35 fan base as well.

The thing about Clarke Park is that there used to be a Clarke Stadium there... and that was the home to the NASL Edmonton Drillers. I like it because it's on the LRT line and the proximity to Commonwealth would probably lend some (small) bit of legitimacy to the area. People in Edmonton have a long history of attending major sporting events around the Commonwealth stadium area. The main problem is that you'd have to build an actual stadium there.

I'm far from an expert, but I believe Clarke's history goes something like this:

- Clarke Stadium (original home of the Eskimos... later Drillers)

- Clarke Stadium falls into disrepair and is torn down.

- Hole in the ground for a while

- Clarke Park is build mainly as a training ground for the 2001 IAAF World Championships

- Currently is basically used as the Eskimos training facility.

With Commonwealth getting field-turf one wonders if the Eskimos really need to continue to use Clarke. The main reason was to spare the Commonwealth turf from being totally chewed up, but that's not supposed to be a problem anymore. If you could approach the city with the funds to turn it into a small 10,000 seat stadium (with room for expansion if you're clever), I would think it would make a certain amount of sense. Given that there's already some small bit of infrastructure there (seating is what, 500?) you might even be able to build on top of it.

If FCE could work out some sort of deal like that with the city, I'd think it would be win-win for everyone. The location is central and on the LRT, people know where it is (unlike Foote Field to be honest...). It has an established "sports feel" to it.

That's also why I suggested converting Telus field if there was someway to finally kill off the dregs of baseball. I'm just not sure there's enough room there for a soccer pitch and with disputed EPCOR land all around it would very tough to expand in any direction. As for the land near Foote Field, it's all owned by the U of A and they have big plans for it already. "South Campus" will be seeing quite a bit of development over the next few years (assuming the budget bounces back I guess). All that area was originally U of A farm land.

To my mind though, the stadium issue is the BIGGEST one that FCE is facing. Without having an established team it will probably be difficult to sink in the kind of money it would take to build a stadium, but on the other hand, playing on the plastic grid-iron at Fooote is going to be a greasy up-hill battle to have the team taken seriously. No Euro-snob footie fan is going to stand for that, which leaves you with the fickle parents/kids crowed and the 3-4 idiots on this board (of which I count myself one). That's why I wonder if a deal couldn't be worked out with the city for Clarke. I doubt you'll get a money investment out of the city, but one has to wonder if some sort of "in kind" offer couldn't be wrangled out of the city.

The City of Edmonton owns the land, so if you come by with a big bag of money and offer to build a half decent stadium on it and then work out some sort of sharing system... surely something coherent could be hammered out.

^ Thanks for the above Strobe_z.

It all helps to get a feel for things. I find it intresting to note that the Chamber of Commerce are listed on the website as 'helping' with the Canada day activities. If the CofC are aligning with the Club than a nudge or two in the city councils direction may not be too far behind. So Clarke may well be the Long term solution. Although thats probably really going to 'P' of some eskies fans.

If Clarke was to be rehabed as Soccer specific, which i agree kinda makes sense, its not automatic they would rip up the field turf. Maybe relay the top surface without football lines, but in our climate the city might want that trade off so there is maximum potential ussage.

(still no comments back on the use of undersoil heating.)

So for all the guys who met the owners and staff, what are your thoughts and feelings? Do these guys seem credible? Are they knowledgeable? Thoughts on this working long term? Some of you are concerned with their vision and their disregard to suggestions by outsiders?

So for all the guys who met the owners and staff, what are your thoughts and feelings? Do these guys seem credible? Are they knowledgeable? Thoughts on this working long term? Some of you are concerned with their vision and their disregard to suggestions by outsiders?

Y'see, Strobe? You see how distressing this is going to be, repeatedly seeing people post this and not wanting to vent?

Well... Since we haven't even kicked a ball in anger yet, I'm not willing to throw in the towel just yet. Are they the most footy knowledgable bunch, no; but they do seem to be sincere. I have no doubts there are going to be some growing pains, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now. They've engaged their fanbase (all 4 of us so far!) and they seem open to opinions and suggestions.

As I see it, the key to their success is going to be a strategy to engage the fans. The whole 'recreational soccer club' fanbase is a shifting sandhill. There's no long term stability (kids grow up and forget about soccer... parents only care as long as the kids are involved). What they really need is a tight marketing plan to try and engage the footy fans in the city, but they have to understand that that is going to be a long painful process. You need that fan base, but they are NOT going to be showing up in numbers until a stadium solution is evident, and they're NOT going to want to be outnumbered by screaming kids who are more interested in chasing each other up and down the stands than watching the game (which is pretty much all kids!). I am a little worried about the marketing strategy. The logo and colour scheme are primes example of this. They're not bad... but they're not great. Anyone familiar with marketing knows that good design is not really a matter of opinion, it's as much as science as an art. Most people don't really know what they like because good design works in a subtle way and conveys meaning on several levels. The Oilers, Eskimos, Rush and heck, even the Capitals(!?) all have better logos and it will have an impact. Maybe it's just me... I have a background in communications and do a lot of marketing and I know the importance of having a proper marketing strategy. Skimping out on the marketing always comes back to haunt you later.

Still, no operation is going to run well by committee, so ultimately it will be up to them how they decide to run the club.

I will say that the owner, Tom Fath, is a local and established business man.... which is much better than the "nameless investment team" the Aviators were trying to rely on. You're not going to get a really professional sports ownership a la Maple Leaft Sports company that owns TFC here in Edmonton. The best you're going to do is find a local businessman with good intentions - which is more or less what we've got. The key is to have the guys in the management knowing what they're doing... and the jury's still out on that as far as I'm concerned. Like many things about FCE so far, could be worse and I hope for better.

You're fighting an uphill battle against no stadium, mostly untested players with the past failures hanging around your neck like a weight. I'm glad to see that they haven't rushed right in to playing a full league schedule right away. Taking a year to start a small bit of noise about the team while getting everything set up is a smart move. I'm also glad to hear they have meager expectations for the first little while. They're not going to get 10,000 fans to show up right away. I'll be surprised if they get more than 500 paying customers for the Impact academy game.

Well... Since we haven't even kicked a ball in anger yet, I'm not willing to throw in the towel just yet. Are they the most footy knowledgable bunch, no; but they do seem to be sincere. I have no doubts there are going to be some growing pains, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now. They've engaged their fanbase (all 4 of us so far!) and they seem open to opinions and suggestions.

As I see it, the key to their success is going to be a strategy to engage the fans. The whole 'recreational soccer club' fanbase is a shifting sandhill. There's no long term stability (kids grow up and forget about soccer... parents only care as long as the kids are involved). What they really need is a tight marketing plan to try and engage the footy fans in the city, but they have to understand that that is going to be a long painful process. You need that fan base, but they are NOT going to be showing up in numbers until a stadium solution is evident, and they're NOT going to want to be outnumbered by screaming kids who are more interested in chasing each other up and down the stands than watching the game (which is pretty much all kids!). I am a little worried about the marketing strategy. The logo and colour scheme are primes example of this. They're not bad... but they're not great. Anyone familiar with marketing knows that good design is not really a matter of opinion, it's as much as science as an art. Most people don't really know what they like because good design works in a subtle way and conveys meaning on several levels. The Oilers, Eskimos, Rush and heck, even the Capitals(!?) all have better logos and it will have an impact. Maybe it's just me... I have a background in communications and do a lot of marketing and I know the importance of having a proper marketing strategy. Skimping out on the marketing always comes back to haunt you later.

Still, no operation is going to run well by committee, so ultimately it will be up to them how they decide to run the club.

I will say that the owner, Tom Fath, is a local and established business man.... which is much better than the "nameless investment team" the Aviators were trying to rely on. You're not going to get a really professional sports ownership a la Maple Leaft Sports company that owns TFC here in Edmonton. The best you're going to do is find a local businessman with good intentions - which is more or less what we've got. The key is to have the guys in the management knowing what they're doing... and the jury's still out on that as far as I'm concerned. Like many things about FCE so far, could be worse and I hope for better.

You're fighting an uphill battle against no stadium, mostly untested players with the past failures hanging around your neck like a weight. I'm glad to see that they haven't rushed right in to playing a full league schedule right away. Taking a year to start a small bit of noise about the team while getting everything set up is a smart move. I'm also glad to hear they have meager expectations for the first little while. They're not going to get 10,000 fans to show up right away. I'll be surprised if they get more than 500 paying customers for the Impact academy game.

This is pretty much it. They have a good local owner going for them, and good coaches. The marketing side is a friggin' disaster, but they're not going to acnowledge that and change it until humility (and money) demand it.

Well thats a great write-up on your thoughts thus far Strobe. FC Edmonton hasn't written you an offer to work with them yet? I'm amazed as to how in tune you are with what's happening. I agree with everything so far, great idea to bring in bonafide coaches, the friendlies are a great idea (unless they can't compete - only time will tell) but there marketing is something amiss. I think they believe that this can be done in-house with the current staff but so far they have failed at this level. Even Katz was smart enough to go and hire a private marketing group who understands sports marketing and look what they have done to attract people to Telus Field. Sure the level of baseball isn't top notch, but they sure draw more people than when the Trappers were around and that's what owing a sports team is all about.

Well thats a great write-up on your thoughts thus far Strobe. FC Edmonton hasn't written you an offer to work with them yet? I'm amazed as to how in tune you are with what's happening. I agree with everything so far, great idea to bring in bonafide coaches, the friendlies are a great idea (unless they can't compete - only time will tell) but there marketing is something amiss. I think they believe that this can be done in-house with the current staff but so far they have failed at this level. Even Katz was smart enough to go and hire a private marketing group who understands sports marketing and look what they have done to attract people to Telus Field. Sure the level of baseball isn't top notch, but they sure draw more people than when the Trappers were around and that's what owing a sports team is all about.

I suppose its a case of knowing the soccer market in Canada, and more specificlty Edmonton. We as fans probably understand soccer and possible how it should be sold. A game which requires 45 minutes of uninterupted attention either side of a quick pee break and a hot cup of bovril. (its a beef drink-keeps you warm on the English terraces) A game where 3-2 is a high scoring game, but a 0-0 tie could be an utter classic. And winding up the travelling oposition can actually be more fun than the game itself? In short we understand the finesse (in some cases the lack of it) the effort, the pain and obviously the humor involved.

But can we express this in marketing terms? Probably not. But can a North American Sports media group sell a soccer club in Edmonton from a blank sheet of paper? Probably not without the voyagers input regarding all of the above, which in a rounabout way is probably the direction in which this is heading. Remember this is a hockey town with a Large CFL following. If you running a soccer club here then youhad better make sure you understand niche marketing right?

One of the reasons I think the CFB game is a good idea. Perticulary as 'Becks' Land in Afghanistan last week to check on 'the Lads in the field'

Aint seen any golfers out there have you?

Personaly given the chance i'd invite Simon Clifford over from the UK. He's the guy who got a 50 year old Socrates to pull on his boots again for a North of England Pub team! that made World Headlines. Anyway he Know soccer and obviously knows how to self publicise. He's probably known of by the Coaching staff already. (FCE could always buy up a BSS franchise as a precurser).

I suppose what i'm saying is the club needs to be sure of what it is and where it wants to go before letting an expensive marketing company loose on it too soon.

How about Tom Fath on the next season of Dragons Den?;)

First of all, I'm not sure how "plugged in" I am. I've been to two press conferences and has a couple of email exchanges with the club. But I did attend all but one Aviators game and I ran a small little fan website called the Hangar while it lasted.

I made my last post on the floor of the Denver airport while scrounging for a plug in, so hopefully it was too rambling. I think what I'd like to say in brief is that:

- We all want this venture to succeed

- I believe the ownership is solid and committed, if not necessarily "soccer savvy"

- The management team have the benefit of the doubt right now because it's too early to tell.

- They have done lot of things right... Good respectable coaches, slow "ramp up" schedule, and tomorrow we'll hear about the marquee international games (I won't spoil the announcement, but I think they're good choices on a number of levels)

- My biggest concern is with the marketing strategy. You've got a niche sports market and they seem to be leaning towards the more fairweather (but more plentiful) elements.. i.e. to rec soccer community. I'm not saying it's a good idea to roll out a huge and expensive marketing campaign at this point. But there are certain basic elements (i.e. the logo and colours) that are the core of the presentation. The reason for this is because it helps define what the club is and where it's planning on going.

As a marketer, I can't stress enough the concept of establishing a strong corporate identity through branding. There's a reason you can run an internet store out of the back of a van... it's all in the presentation.

Still... it's not all bad. Perhaps my expectations are too high.... at least they don't have a "crashing and burning flaming ball" as their logo. That one was obviously done by a real designer... just one who knows nothing about soccer. Bad karma... first thing I thought when I saw it.... bad karma.

at least they don't have a "crashing and burning flaming ball" as their logo. That one was obviously done by a real designer... just one who knows nothing about soccer. Bad karma... first thing I thought when I saw it.... bad karma.

ROFLMAO. This kills me every time.

EDMONTON, AB – FC Edmonton today announced the dates of three international “friendly” matches to be played in Edmonton.

FC Edmonton will host Chilean giant Colo-Colo on June 20th at Commonwealth Stadium, Brazil’s Vitória of Brazil’s premier division on June 27th at Foote Field and finally Portsmouth FC formerly of the English Premier League on July 21st at Commonwealth Stadium for the 2010 Edmonton Cup.

June 20 Colo-Colo, Chile Commonwealth Stadium

June 27 Vitoria, Brazil Foote Field

July 21 Portsmouth, UK Commonwealth Stadium

Club Social y Deportivo Colo-Colo, one of the top thirty soccer clubs in the world, is the only Chilean club to have played in every season of the Primera Division; they have never been relegated. Colo-Colo has won a combined total of 46 titles since their formation 85 years ago.

Esporte Clube Vitória’s mascot is the imperial lion, chosen as a symbol of strength and speed, characteristic of successful teams. Success has certainly been the hallmark of this, the oldest of sports clubs in Brazil. Since their first professional match in September 1903, Vitória of the Brasileirão (Premier Division) has won over 30 titles including 26 state championships; four-in-a-row since 2007.

Portsmouth FC played seven consecutive seasons in the English Premier League, but was just relegated to the Football League Championship (the Championship) this year. Twice English champions and FA Cup winners, Pompey are the most successful southern club outside of London. Portsmouth advanced all the way to the FA Cup Final this year before losing to Chelsea 1-0 in the final.

The Edmonton Cup

The first Edmonton Cup was a friendly soccer match that took place on July 25, 2009 at Edmonton’s Commonwealth Stadium to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Alberta Soccer Association. Argentina’s River Plate beat England’s Everton FC 1-0 in a game billed as Argentina vs. England. Ariel Ortega chipped Carlo Nash to score the only goal.

Tickets on Sale for all three matches

Details on sale of tickets for these matches will be announced soon. Tickets for the exhibition season are now on sale via telephone at 780-439-7529, or fans can send their contact information online at www.fcedmonton.com.

EDMONTON, AB – FC Edmonton today announced the dates of three international “friendly” matches to be played in Edmonton.

FC Edmonton will host Chilean giant Colo-Colo on June 20th at Commonwealth Stadium, Brazil’s Vitória of Brazil’s premier division on June 27th at Foote Field and finally Portsmouth FC formerly of the English Premier League on July 21st at Commonwealth Stadium for the 2010 Edmonton Cup.

June 20 Colo-Colo, Chile Commonwealth Stadium

June 27 Vitoria, Brazil Foote Field

July 21 Portsmouth, UK Commonwealth Stadium

Club Social y Deportivo Colo-Colo, one of the top thirty soccer clubs in the world, is the only Chilean club to have played in every season of the Primera Division; they have never been relegated. Colo-Colo has won a combined total of 46 titles since their formation 85 years ago.

Esporte Clube Vitória’s mascot is the imperial lion, chosen as a symbol of strength and speed, characteristic of successful teams. Success has certainly been the hallmark of this, the oldest of sports clubs in Brazil. Since their first professional match in September 1903, Vitória of the Brasileirão (Premier Division) has won over 30 titles including 26 state championships; four-in-a-row since 2007.

Portsmouth FC played seven consecutive seasons in the English Premier League, but was just relegated to the Football League Championship (the Championship) this year. Twice English champions and FA Cup winners, Pompey are the most successful southern club outside of London. Portsmouth advanced all the way to the FA Cup Final this year before losing to Chelsea 1-0 in the final.

The Edmonton Cup

The first Edmonton Cup was a friendly soccer match that took place on July 25, 2009 at Edmonton’s Commonwealth Stadium to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Alberta Soccer Association. Argentina’s River Plate beat England’s Everton FC 1-0 in a game billed as Argentina vs. England. Ariel Ortega chipped Carlo Nash to score the only goal.

Tickets on Sale for all three matches

Details on sale of tickets for these matches will be announced soon. Tickets for the exhibition season are now on sale via telephone at 780-439-7529, or fans can send their contact information online at www.fcedmonton.com.

Colo-colo...that's Chile's best club.

As I alluded to yesterday, very good choices for clubs. There are TONS of Chileans in Edmonton. They won't be cheering for FCE in this match, but it's a good way to spotlight the home team and hopefully build a little support when they AREN'T playing Chilean teams. Portsmouth is great because there is also a TON of English Premiership fans... they also probably won't be cheering for the home team, but there's no such thing as bad press...

What can you say about Vitória... Brazil.

All in all some great choices.

As I alluded to yesterday, very good choices for clubs. There are TONS of Chileans in Edmonton. They won't be cheering for FCE in this match, but it's a good way to spotlight the home team and hopefully build a little support when they AREN'T playing Chilean teams. Portsmouth is great because there is also a TON of English Premiership fans... they also probably won't be cheering for the home team, but there's no such thing as bad press...

Scheduling will matter here. Who else is doing what on those nights?

Don't worry... most Englishmen don't cheer for Pompey.

Well, the colo colo game is up against the Esks in B.C. on TV. The Portsmouth game is during Indy Week, so that might add to the draw, might detract. Not sure.

Vitoria looks like a decent bet for a turnout, if the weather's nice. Still gonna need to hype it though.

First exhibition game is up against the Capitals and there are three world cup games earlier in the day, which can't help.

I am pleased to see the visiting teams finalized. Good friendlies, in my opinion.

My problem is this...Colo-Colo is coming in June 20, leaving less than 3 weeks to market the event. Have they left themselves enough time?

The players are champing at the bit for these matches, that is for sure.

Here's a silly question: what's Edmonton going to wear for these friendlies? Has there been any news on a kit provider? Or have I missed something?

They have a Arsenal/Hiberian style Kit but in White Chest /Back with Blue arms and Blue Shorts White socks (variations of) Official kit for now

Archived