FC Edmonton 2010

fishman

I don't understand, and many said the same thing, that they don't hold any sort of design contest for fans, both for the logo and the website. There are surely passionate Edmontonians (Edmontonians?) who could come up with something good looking for a free pair of tickets to the opening game?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand, and many said the same thing, that they don't hold any sort of design contest for fans, both for the logo and the website. There are surely passionate Edmontonians (Edmontonians?) who could come up with something good looking for a free pair of tickets to the opening game?

All,

Based on Jeremy's assumption has anybody offered their services to the FC Edmonton Web Site team?

Its not my field i'm afraid ( I'm such a ludite that Ive even sent a text to anyone) but surely someone must be up for it?

That is sad, a website keeps the fan up to date on the affairs of the team. If you don't care about the fans then why have a team.

Agreed. FC Edmonton should be taking example of whats being done in places like Tampa Bay, and St-Louis, otherwise they will end up being the next NSC Minnesota or Crystal Palace Baltimore.

They can't even get a university to play with?

Actually I think I understand the motive for playing the team at from the CFB, their playing on Canada Day, Probably at the Base (but thats not confirmed,) so profile should be higher than playing a Uni side, although I dont know what the facilities would be like for spectators at the base.

Local CBC who have been following the team, will probably find it easier to jusity bringing a camera crew to file a report as it will be part of the overall Canada Day activities. (hey we might even get some highlights-they did show the Mini world cup games on the late night news after all) Also of intrest is that the Chamber of commerce is involved.

Jeremy as we discussed in the Calgary NASL post regarding funds; the Edmonton Chamber of commerce are involved in the promotion and coordination of the event. So there obviously some major networking been attempted here.;)

With that in mind playing a Uni team might be just a little too low profile. (even if its better quality opposition)

Personally I think its all Carl_Valentines, strobe and River-city's doing. Carl, Stroke of Genius with the 'Foote soldiers'. I think the FCE board who must review this site from time to time, took your comments on board and extrapolated. If the result of the game is exposure for the Team and some fund raising for the CF benevolant funds then I think its not too bad a start is it.

I do agree its a long way to travel if you're back East however. especially as its still part of a 'family day' (getting rid of the soccer Mom and Pop brigade 'aint going to be easy, but then again do you really want to?- I got Five Kids who all play, and I post most nights. then again I have no social life:o)

Anyway I left a post on the 'new' forum board reagarding the details (or lack there of) hopefully we'll get some additional info soon. I also refrenced the 'foote soldiers' at the same time.

Onwards and Upwards boys! Onwards and Upwards

FYI, the FC Edmonton team has played three AMSL teams thus far - Edmonton Scottish (once), Edmonton Drillers (twice) and Calgary Darts.

Since the team selections (somewhat final, although with so many players on month-to-month contracts, it is possible some changes to the player pool will still occur), they have played one match (Darts).

They will play Edmonton Scottish again tomorrow night (Friday) at 7 PM in Spruce Grove on the new-ish Field Turf pitch.

FYI, the FC Edmonton team has played three AMSL teams thus far - Edmonton Scottish (once), Edmonton Drillers (twice) and Calgary Darts.

Since the team selections (somewhat final, although with so many players on month-to-month contracts, it is possible some changes to the player pool will still occur), they have played one match (Darts).

They will play Edmonton Scottish again tomorrow night (Friday) at 7 PM in Spruce Grove on the new-ish Field Turf pitch.

Do you happen to have the final scores of the AMSL matches? It would be interesting to hear the progress of the FC Edmonton current lineup. Is the Spruce Grove game official? I live in the area and will try to muster up some interest to attend the game.

The results against AMSL teams don't paint an accurate picture.

The first three matches were a mixed bag: in their first match against the Drillers, they didn't have everyone yet in camp. The result was 1 - nil for FC Edmonton.

The second match against Scottish featured what was (at the time) arguably their best 11. That line-up played the full 90 minutes, winning 4 - nil against a rag-tag Scottish team. Scottish fielded at least 3 players that aren't part of their program, and they took on 4 injuries in the first 60 minutes. The score was 1 - nil after 45 minutes.

The third match against Drillers was a 3 - 1 win for FC Edmonton; the roster for that game was comprised of those players since released or those that were on the bubble.

The match against Darts was their first with what is their current roster - it was a 4 - 0 win for FC Edmonton.

The match tomorrow against Scottish should be similar to the Darts game in quality. As for being "official", it is as official as it gets in what is an exhibition year. Scottish continues to be hampered by some injuries, and was the Edmonton team most impacted by the nascent pro team.

Callies and Villians have lost some key players, too, so the AMSL is likely Green and Gold's to win this year as they haven't seen anyone of note join FC Edmonton (not sure of Jaz Gill's status, although he is apparently one of the goalkeepers for FC, but he could be third-choice, leaving his availability for G&G anyone's guess).

Yes, much appreciated fishman. I will probably be attending tonight's match. Are there any plans for FC Edmonton to have a match against Green and Gold?

Further note:

From fishman's description, it sounds like it will be played at the Fuhr Sports Park (formerly West District Sports Park). It is located at 211 Campsite Rd in Spruce Grove, but seems to be a little off on Google maps. For anyone who wants to attend tonight, here are the directions to get there from Edmonton:

Head west on Highway 16A

Turn right on Campsite Rd

Take the second left at the Tri Leisure Centre lights

Then just head straight to the southwest corner of the TransAlta Tri Leisure Centre

Also, NAIT will be hosting the 2010 CCAA Soccer Championships at this facility from November 10-13, 2010.

SG Gent, indeed the match is at Fuhr Sports Park.

Green & Gold will probably end up playing FC Edmonton at some point, but not sure when. They seem less interested in working with / helping them; many think that G&G look upon FC Edmonton as a competitor for potential players (i.e. CIS vs. NASL) and as such haven't pushed players towards the pro side.

SG Gent, indeed the match is at Fuhr Sports Park.

Green & Gold will probably end up playing FC Edmonton at some point, but not sure when. They seem less interested in working with / helping them; many think that G&G look upon FC Edmonton as a competitor for potential players (i.e. CIS vs. NASL) and as such haven't pushed players towards the pro side.

Any news on the result?

The final score was 3 - nil, but that wasn't a fair indication of the match. FC Edmonton didn't score until the 70th minute, and they added two very late markers (85', 88') after Scottish saw three players fall to injury.

FC Edmonton enjoyed the majority of possession but most of their attacks stalled in the middle third. They failed to penetrate with any regularity, and in the first half their only real chance came off of a free kick from 20 yards out.

Scottish defended well and won most physical battles; FC struggled with the pace of one of Scottish's front runners which resulted in Duberry being sent off at 55'. His red card was preceded by a Scottish player getting a second yellow at 48' - straight red on the former was deserved (professional foul), brutal refereeing decision on the latter. The last 35' were played 10 v 10.

Scottish did not field its full roster - it had three guest players - and was missing at least four starters from what it will field in its opening AMSL match.

FC Edmonton moved the ball reasonably well, was able to change the point of attack consistently, but it struggles to penetrate into the attacking third. Their front runners were physically outmatched by aggressive defenders. IMHO, they need badly to find a good target man and a more physical central mid.

The Dutch 'keeper wasn't tested except for two through balls that saw him charge quickly off the line. Not a tall man, but wide as a house. Good command of his back-line. The defender from Holland wasn't particularly impressive, although he didn't make any glaring mistakes. Hamilton actually stands out more as a centre-half than the Dutch lad. I hope they aren't spending boat-loads on the Dutch players, to be honest - they need some money to find a good attacker.

The player roster is now unavailable for review...access denied! I continue to harp on what appears to be a lack of professionalism from their front office staff. The website is terribly amateur - it looks like a bad fan-site created using some blog template. Their daft write-ups about training, the World Cup, etc. reeks of a group that doesn't know what information their potential fan-base wants and needs.

I don't care if this is the first year of operation in what is an exhibition mode - first impressions are really feckin' important. What impressions have most of you formed thus far??

Archived