FC Edmonton 2010

fishman

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Disappointing attendance, good scoreline.

Which I should point out will be good for spreading the word of the team. 5000 people talking about a high scoring match between FCE and Colo-colo is good. Maybe Vitoria will result in higher attendance?

Which I should point out will be good for spreading the word of the team. 5000 people talking about a high scoring match between FCE and Colo-colo is good. Maybe Vitoria will result in higher attendance?

FC Edmonton is not facing Victoria, Colo-Colo Vs Victoria at footie field

Must have misread it.

the official attendance from FC Edmonton site was 5,500 and Colo-Colo Vs Victoria at footie field is happening I don't know why but they kept saying it at the game even the site says it now not sure if all the chilian fans can fit in footie field

the official attendance from FC Edmonton site was 5,500 and Colo-Colo Vs Victoria at footie field is happening I don't know why but they kept saying it at the game even the site says it now not sure if all the chilian fans can fit in footie field

Foote officially holds 3500. but i dont know if health and saftey rules allow people to sit on the banking in front of the general admission bleachers. Still a headline in the Sun or Jurnal that reads 'shut-out at soccer match' could prove intresting in many ways.

Actually if the contract for colo - colo to play their first eleven for 60 mins is true, IMO, 3-4 is a blinding result.

imo anyway.

Well... that was fun. First off, this was a great result for our boys. As much as I'd have liked to see a win, in the long run this is probably better. If we'd won, everyone would be saying "Colo-Colo must've been contractually obligated to let FCE win." By making it a close back and forth score (and we scored first I might add), it makes it much more valuable as marketing tool. "Whaat? The were that close to Colo-Colo?"

Out of that 5,500 attendance, 5000 were Chilean, 490 were silent and presumably neutral, and then there were the 10 members of the ESG. Not a bad "home" crowd. ;)

We sang, we heckled, we chanted. We didn't shut up the whole match and, IMHO at times were were louder than the Chileans. We did get some respect from the opposition fans... one of them came over mid-way through the second half and "said, you're going to lose, but you should come to the party afterwards" River_City told the rest of us not to wait up. By the end of the game we had a few converts, including Mohamad who's screech is going to be my new cellphone ringtone, and even a Chilean named "Sid" I believe. I'm not quite sure what his story was, but he was more than welcome to join us.

Here's a pic off the Colo-Colo website: http://www.colocolo.cl/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/partido-35.jpg

Our small band of warriors are right about the right should of the guy about to head the ball...

The game itself was pretty good, but I have to say that Colo-Colo didn't seem nearly as sharp as I expected. They were good, but they certainly didn't dominate. Their final goal was the best, a nice turn in the box to slot a shot home. Hopefully some of those Chileans were impressed enough by FCE to want to show up in the future... but I'm not holding my breath.

As for Vittoria, it was announced at the game that Colo-Colo will be taking on the Brazilian side instead of FCE. I'm not sure why, but I would guess Colo-Colo was excited by the prospect and negotiated some sort of reduced appearance fee or something. FCE might not be playing, but they still benefit from the "buzz" such as it is.

All in all a great way to spend Father's day.

As for Vittoria, it was announced at the game that Colo-Colo will be taking on the Brazilian side instead of FCE. I'm not sure why, but I would guess Colo-Colo was excited by the prospect and negotiated some sort of reduced appearance fee or something. FCE might not be playing, but they still benefit from the "buzz" such as it is.

Colo Colo were guaranteed 3 games to appear in Canada. Apparently "somebody" dropped the ball in another city - not sure who - so FCE had to allow them to play Vittoria to make it 3. Big cash penalty or some such if no third game. They are also supposed to play in Ontario somewhere/someplace next week.

There are some encouraging quotes from Tom Fath in that last linked article. The fact that he's not pulling his hair out over the financial hit he's taken with these friendly matches indicates that he's willing to ride the losses in the early years for long-term success. Hopefully, he'll turn out to be something of a Kerfoot-lite that will lift prairie football and lead the way for like-minded money men in Calgary and Winnipeg to give it a go.

There are some encouraging quotes from Tom Fath in that last linked article. The fact that he's not pulling his hair out over the financial hit he's taken with these friendly matches indicates that he's willing to ride the losses in the early years for long-term success. Hopefully, he'll turn out to be something of a Kerfoot-lite that will lift prairie football and lead the way for like-minded money men in Calgary and Winnipeg to give it a go.

Yeah and hopefully FCE made some converts. Maybe the Chileans will show up and watch their local club play too.

Yeah and hopefully FCE made some converts. Maybe the Chileans will show up and watch their local club play too.

Well, that WAS part of the point of bringing Colo-Colo here. As I said, a good showing in a close loss was really the best of results. Had FCE won, no one would've believed Colo-Colo had been trying to win, but a close loss gives us credibility out of the gate. Hell, even Bryan Hall was talking about it this morning on Global TV.

Well, that WAS part of the point of bringing Colo-Colo here. As I said, a good showing in a close loss was really the best of results. Had FCE won, no one would've believed Colo-Colo had been trying to win, but a close loss gives us credibility out of the gate. Hell, even Bryan Hall was talking about it this morning on Global TV.

well its good to see the team is getting coverage in the local media!!!

Guest ricardinho
Colo Colo were guaranteed 3 games to appear in Canada. Apparently "somebody" dropped the ball in another city - not sure who - so FCE had to allow them to play Vittoria to make it 3. Big cash penalty or some such if no third game. They are also supposed to play in Ontario somewhere/someplace next week.

It is a shame FCE is not facing Vitoria. Vitoria Junior I should say since in ther website, (www.ecvitoria.com.br) they show the group of players coming to Canada and only the backup goalie appears on the professional roster. Oh well, I will be there for the Portsmouth game anyways. Take care.

This has got to be pretty exciting for Edmonton footy fans. To see a group get started early rather then sit back and wait for next season, they are bringing footy to the area for you this season. Hopefully things grow and you become a worthy opponent for TFC to trounce on.

Another article from the Edmonton Sun: http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/columnists/graham_hicks/2010/06/21/14469316.html

It's an "around town" type piece, so here's the important bit:

For real FC Edmonton

Holy cow, Edmonton may actually have a REAL soccer team!

FC Edmonton, the new club playing exhibition games this summer before joining the North American Soccer League in 2011, had eyes wide open on Sunday as they nearly tied top South American team Colo Colo at Commonwealth Stadium.

From a 3-3 tie, they lost the game 4-3.

GM Mel Kowalchuk was surprised, but he won’t quite admit it.

“Before the season, Joe Petrone said we had enough soccer talent in Alberta that, with a really high level of coaching, they could make up the nucleus of a professional team.”

This team has competitively paid European coaches. One-third of the players are from outside Alberta. The other two-thirds are mostly drawn from Edmonton and Calgary.

Gives one hope, a chance of defying the abysmal pro soccer record in town.

The last pro team, the Edmonton Aviators, didn’t make it through their first season.

FC Edmonton owners Tom Fath of O’Hanlon Paving and Abbey Homes Bruno Mastroprimiano have deep pockets, patience and a multi-year business plan. And our Terry Jones is actually writing about FC Edmonton. Terry tends to be less than interested in the many “professional” sport teams that have come and gone in the city. This team has caught his attention big-time.

FC Edmonton home exhibition games will be played at Foote Field (by the South Campus LRT station) July 6, August 11, 15 and 28.

They deserve a look-see.

It's nice to see this coming from someplace OTHER than the sports page. Also, love him or hate him, Terry Jones has been around forever in the Edmonton sports scene. So his stamp of approval will carry some weight.

Archived