FC Edmonton 2010

fishman

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't worry... most Englishmen don't cheer for Pompey.

Here is one in canada who does and will be up for the game and hopefully bringing a few up also.

ps Good luck on getting this off the ground as i used to Enjoy going to the Calgary Storm games a few years back and any professional devolpment is always welcome.

Here is one in canada who does and will be up for the game and hopefully bringing a few up also.

ps Good luck on getting this off the ground as i used to Enjoy going to the Calgary Storm games a few years back and any professional devolpment is always welcome.

Nice one Mate! Positive attitude from a Pompey fan; which , to be honest, is something they have always in spades at fratton park. Infiltrating 'Harry redknap' into st Mary's (southhampton) was a Masterstroke in subdefuge by the way .:cool:

Personally i think you've been robbed of you Europa Leauge place by the original Euro Snobs . good luck at Elland road next year, Seriously hope we don't beat you by too many;)

"Play up Pompey-Pompey Play Up"

For those who don't know what that means those are the Pompey Chimes:cool:

if they hadn't taken it away from us how else would they have got Liverpool into Europe?still no good moaning about it what happens happens I guess.

There are some good old proper teams in the championship so it will be fun though the results may be won't if we don't get an owner.

See you all on July 21st. :cool:

ps did you know that The Chimes are the oldest recognised chant in Football?

well not me actually, Im just using an old 18th century Standing order used by the British army when an Infantryman picked up the company colours, and delivered orders/information etc to the troops.

Anyway met with the younger guys from FCE on friday and wanted to relate some of the conversation.

Firstly Strobe. Looks like Foote Soliders is going to stick as a name. The club appear to love it.

I waffled on about Major Richard Sharpe and dressing a mascot in Redcoat gear and they loved the humor in it.

I passed on some promo ideas, which 'might ' see the light of day. It appears the Jas Gill 'billy the fish' song has made it into the locker room, so that'll be me officially dead then 'es a big lad apparently).

Secondly The club are looking to install bleachers behind the goals on the north end of the field. Anyone object to calling it 'The North Rank'?

This will be for the Song chanters, Drum Bangers, Flag wavers etc. Its not intended for the moms and pops, who they hope to house in the General admission. May be a good idea to spead this information by word of mouth or email as there are only 9 days 20 hrs etc until we have 'Sudden Impact' :o

I have been pointedly talking about the upcoming games to anyone with a soccer shirt on this weekend and most are still unaware the games are taking place. Most are getting confussed with the World Cup. (one kid even knew the affore mentioned goalie from the Uof A, and also his bio. But he didn't know he was now a 'Hometown Pro'

As of tomorrow I intend to circulate info on the game times throughout my work email, perticulary to the 20 sometings, I would suggest if possible the rest of (all 4 of) us try something similar.

I also have a BBQ on the 11th at the Kids school, to which i'll end up reffing/playing with the Grade 3 to 5's again speading the word to the future foote soldiers (yes these kids are that intrested) Personally if i get 20 of them togeter for the $6 package I think i'll start a junior section of the fan club. How does the 'Boys (and girls) Brigade' grab you?

Strobe CV any other suggestions on how we get colours together?

My thoughts:

The name: I agree with Strobe - I'm for letting this happen organically and not forcing a name - some people I have talked to have objections to joining a group with military associated names and I see where they are coming from. I was just tossing ideas around to spur discussion (which didn't happen). I don't want to alienate anyone because, quite frankly, we need as many people on board as possible. With the front office I am referring to us as ESG - Edmonton Supporters Group. Obviously people may have their own ideas for support and could potentially fracture into separate groups but at this point I think its in everyones best interest to be united as one SG at this point.

The numbers: I posted on the FC Edm Facebook group as someone asked about SG's. I will start spreading the word via Facebook. I'm sure after the 16th numbers will grow. We should have about 20 guys for the 16th. I will confirm with the club on Wed evening our actual numbers, and will let them know that we are going to grow.

Tickets The club needs to know how many of will be in attendance for the 16th (as well as going forward) so please let me know ASAP if you are interested in standing in the supporters section. They are planning on reserving a section at both Foote and Commonwealth, so we need to give them a number.

Colors The guys at FC Edm were supposed to get back to me re: kits and scarves. Hopefully we can get colors before Wednesday. If not, we should all organize to be wearing blue shirts - shouldn't be too difficult to buy some blue - shirts. I also am in the process of getting a big City of Edmonton flag, hopefully will have it by Wednesday night.

Blocking off a section? I'm not sure I'd advise that. You don't want to restrict people at the game from coming in, experiencing the supporter's environment, and helping grow that group. It's early yet and you should be trying to grow at the games as much as possible - there are a lot of Edmontonians who like soccer but have never seen a supporters' section in person before, after all.

Blocking off a section? I'm not sure I'd advise that. You don't want to restrict people at the game from coming in, experiencing the supporter's environment, and helping grow that group. It's early yet and you should be trying to grow at the games as much as possible - there are a lot of Edmontonians who like soccer but have never seen a supporters' section in person before, after all.

He just means reserving it for a supporters group, not barring entry to it.

I should clarify my language. By blocking off a section, I meant the club is dedicating a section in both Foote and Commonwealth for our supporters group. By no means will it be exclusive, it will be open to all to join, but it will be designated as a supporters section (i.e. no standing only singing/chanting for the entire match) so families aren't surprised when they purchase tickets and find out they are sitting smack dab in the middle of some crazies.

The only upgrade that was discussed was the potential addition of a few rows of bleachers (a la the Southsiders) in one of the endzones of Foote for the supporters. Other than that, we are stuck playing in an American Football stadium, no ways around it.

I should clarify my language. By blocking off a section, I meant the club is dedicating a section in both Foote and Commonwealth for our supporters group. By no means will it be exclusive, it will be open to all to join, but it will be designated as a supporters section (i.e. no standing only singing/chanting for the entire match) so families aren't surprised when they purchase tickets and find out they are sitting smack dab in the middle of some crazies.

In that case, terrific!

What are the plans for the ColoColo match on the 20th? (that's the right date, no?) I'm planning on trying to be there for that friendly, so how are the Commonwealth plans coming along for you guys? While not an Edmontonian, I'd love to get rowdy with you guys, maybe have a few too many drinks, and take in the atmosphere of the newest supporters group in the nation.

My thoughts:

The name: I agree with Strobe - I'm for letting this happen organically and not forcing a name - some people I have talked to have objections to joining a group with military associated names and I see where they are coming from. I was just tossing ideas around to spur discussion (which didn't happen). I don't want to alienate anyone because, quite frankly, we need as many people on board as possible. With the front office I am referring to us as ESG - Edmonton Supporters Group. Obviously people may have their own ideas for support and could potentially fracture into separate groups but at this point I think its in everyones best interest to be united as one SG at this point.

The numbers: I posted on the FC Edm Facebook group as someone asked about SG's. I will start spreading the word via Facebook. I'm sure after the 16th numbers will grow. We should have about 20 guys for the 16th. I will confirm with the club on Wed evening our actual numbers, and will let them know that we are going to grow.

Tickets The club needs to know how many of will be in attendance for the 16th (as well as going forward) so please let me know ASAP if you are interested in standing in the supporters section. They are planning on reserving a section at both Foote and Commonwealth, so we need to give them a number.

Colors The guys at FC Edm were supposed to get back to me re: kits and scarves. Hopefully we can get colors before Wednesday. If not, we should all organize to be wearing blue shirts - shouldn't be too difficult to buy some blue - shirts. I also am in the process of getting a big City of Edmonton flag, hopefully will have it by Wednesday night.

Take your point on the name. I can see where your comming from. I personly don't like Ultras, crews , or firms as they remind me of the holigamism of the 1980's back in the UK. Still the ESG sounds like a self help group so anyone please start thinking up names!

Im struggling to post to the FCEdmonton site a present. I noticed a 'newbie' who was asking if the MLS and NASL would be having promotion and relegation. I know the club are aware of the posting issues but if someone could direct he/she to cansoc , Also can anyone post in spanish and Portugese?

One a lighter note. I had a meeting with my bank manager today , and whilst he wasn't helping me negotiate a pile of cash for FCE's transfere funds (sorry dave) he did see the Logo on a business card that the club gave me. He south american so he's coming to the games and he let me know that there is alot of intrest /excitement regarding Colo Colo and Vitoria, hes also looking forward to seeing Chile whip Adelusian butt!

Regarding colours; buy two cheap tees one white one blue and pass the one one you choose not to wear to the person next to you. If your single and the other persons cute make sure theres a phone number inside the sleave before you hand it over:;)

Yeah, I remembered my password!

First, as the young kids say these days - mad props to Strobe-Z and Carl Valentine for taking the lead on this. They've both put in a lot of time attending press conferences, communicating with team management and advocating for not only us crazy hoolies, but for regular fans as well. Can't predict what'll happen on the field this year or next, but our job is to do what we can in the stands to make this thing fly for more than a few seasons. I don't want any more souvenir match stubs for non-existent Edmonton teams.

Second, alberta white, I'm one of the folks with the issues with military references. Don't think of myself as a tree-hugger, but I'm sure once we all get together, we can all come to some agreement. Love the enthusiasm though. Hope you can play the drums, 'cause they're coming out on the 16th. I know I've pestered both strobe and CV with enough name suggestions to make them go with just the Southside Sector Ultras Patch United. Hint, hint.....and the only bad anagram out of it is PUSSU....so not all that bad when we go on road trips next year to Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Miami and I believe a little tourney in the US......with the MNT!

Third and the reason for the post, I'm calling on all V's coast to coast to coast to spread the word on this Edmonton team. MSN Messenger or Facebook, or Twitter or whatever other means of communication you have, anyone you know in Edmonton, get them to come out on the 16th and on the 20th! We're hoping to make it fun to the point that regardless of what happens on the pitch, people want to come to games. And that includes tailgate parties. A stable team in Edmonton means so much more for Canadian soccer development than ever before. Western Canada is looking and we can't afford to fall down.

On a personal note, looking forward to seeing the Saskatchewan contigent again....methinks, Sherlock Holmes beckons. And jloome - I still remember the article you wrote calling out the Eskimos. Good to see you posting.

Back to Juan Santos coffee flavoured Rum.

Good luck to you guys from montreal.

I hope FCE does well in the upcoming friendlies, as it would give me something to write in my blog, quite a lot of you Central Canadians stop by every day.

In regards to the supporters name, Montreal doesn't even have a proper name, and the logo of the group has nothing to do with the team or city, and it worked out pretty well, so don't feel as if you need to make elaborate and witty ties to the city/team/stadium right away.

Looking at the crest of the city, you have a pretty dashing hunter in it, why not some simple/broad/all-encompassing generic name, Edmonton Boys/Crew, whatever you decide, with a modified piece of hunter clipart, wearing a blue and black scarf?

4204056.thm.gif?osp016a

1037953.thm.gif?iod016b

Archived