FC Edmonton 2010

fishman

The player roster is now unavailable for review...access denied! I continue to harp on what appears to be a lack of professionalism from their front office staff. The website is terribly amateur - it looks like a bad fan-site created using some blog template. Their daft write-ups about training, the World Cup, etc. reeks of a group that doesn't know what information their potential fan-base wants and needs.

I don't care if this is the first year of operation in what is an exhibition mode - first impressions are really feckin' important. What impressions have most of you formed thus far??

I didnt even know they had a roster, let alone played a game.

To establish a successful base they need to be active in speaking with people(updating their website) and getting involved in the edmonton scene, so that people know there's even a pro team in edmonton.

Maybe post fliers in some bars, some Timbers esque advertisements:

, try to get that 18-35 people keep talking about.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very profesional. Shows why they are ready for MLS.

It's what IMFC should do, instead of this:

http://montrealmls2012.com/video.php?language=EN

That first, historical one is ok to be honest, especially as an introductory commercial. But eventually they have to start setting the foundation for the future, instead of relying on our history, which hasn't really been chockful of a lot of 18-35 year old support.

Well if the current website is indicative of FCE's future marketing, yikes!

I'm always a little hesitant when the same group of guys who have failed in the past want to give it a go again i.e. Kowalchuks. In their defence, I guess you can only learn from your mistakes. But do these old guys actually have any new ideas going forward?

I'm just curious, but have FC Edmonton done anything to promote the Voyageurs Cup this year? I would think they should be promoting it, along the lines of "this is what we'll be playing for next year". Plus, since all the games are on Sportsnet West, new or potential fans would actually be able to watch it.

I have been in contact with FC Edmonton, and there will be a press conference today at 1:30 PM @ Foote Field, to announce an exhibition schedule for the 2010 season. I was given limited information yesterday, but it appears we will be playing a Canadian professional side in mid June, in Edmonton. I won't spoil all the fun ;)

Hopefully we have a kit launch as well, but the club didn't divulge anything regarding our jerseys. Exciting news, and I am looking forward to gathering up supporters for this match.

I am going to try to be in attendance, but can't commit fully right now. Anyone else thinking of attending?

Looks like FCE will be playing Portsmouth.

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Pompey-Heading-To-America-987.aspx

Pompey are heading to America for three pre-season friendlies in July.

The Blues will face Mexican giants Club America, an Edmonton select side and MLS side DC United.

They will face Club America at the Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego on Wednesday, July 14, followed by a match against an Edmonton Select on Wednesday, July 21.

I would guess that this will be played at Commonwealth...

Total bummer for me as I will be in Edmonton on July 25. :(

You're probably right about the Kowalchuk and the Faths having their grubby little fingerprints all over this game.

We'll see when July gets closer, but it wouldn't surprise me if "Edmonton Selects" was just a tacit acknowledgement that FC Edmonton wouldn't be up to challenging a Portsmouth reserve squad in July: they may take the best FC Edmonton players, scour up some volunteers to bring up the roster's strength, and call that a select roster. But that's nothing more than a guess.

Carl_Valentine and I just returned from the FC Edmonton press conference. Most of the information has already been posted in regards to the games against NA teams and the schedule. All domestic games will be played at Foote Field (on the grid iron side if there was still any confusion) and the "As yet unannounced international games" will most likely be played at Commonwealth. My guess is that the "Edmonton selects" are in fact FC Edmonton mainly because a) I can see Portsmouth calling FCE that, and B) I can't see them passing up the opportunity to get FCE on the pitch.

img00156o.th.jpg

Here's a look at the team (apologies for crappy BlackBerry photo). As you can see Umbro is the team sponsor. Mel Kowalchuk did mention that they know there's a lot of blue in the NASL, but that they listened to the City of Edmonton and used city colours.

Carl_Valentine and I were introduced as "Voyageurs" and got to meet the web "team", and we spoke at length to them and owner Tom Fath. Apparently 2/3 of the web team just finished a semester at school (U of A I think) and we will be seeing some improvements to the website shortly. CV and I also made it clear that, while we may be Voyageurs, we were putting on our FCE hats as a related-but-separate-and-as-yet-unnamed group. It was refreshing to be engaged as fans and to be asked our opinions.

The main things I mentioned were:

a) Working with the fans would be a good thing. We have a lot of energy that can be harnessed in a positive way to drum up support for the club. (RiverCity's already got a manifesto prepared)

B) The hard core fans are going to be the ones standing out in the rain/snow supporting the club. You can't sacrifice them on the altar of "recreational soccer kids". There may be more of those, but they're fickle.

c) A stadium is a MUST. If you want to be taken seriously you can't be playing on astro-turf with gridlines.

d) FCE will be painted and tainted with the brush of the Aviators, Drillers, Brickmen, etc... It'll take YEARS before people will believe they aren't going to fold up overnight. SEEING is believing, and it won't matter how many times you say "we're different".

e) Advertising is key. People need to know about what's going on, and a few fliers at minor soccer games won't cut it (see point B)

Just got back to my desk at work from the press conference, Strobe_Z was in attendance with myself. I am jammed at work but I will post a quick summary as I may not get a chance later on tonight.

-Met with the owner, Tom Fath, as well as some of the marketing and web team - didn't have a chance to talk with them at the start as I arrived shortly before 1:30PM.

-The team arrived at the press conference, wearing white Umbro kits with blue sleeves, which was said to be the away kit.

-The home kit will be blue with white sleeves. I have a picture that I will upload shortly. No sponsor on the front. The kits looked simple, nothing flashy, and nothing too attention grabbing. Could be better, could be worse, just like the badge.

-Tom Fath spoke a few words, nothing of interest, and passed it over to Mel Kowalchuk

-Mel announced 5 "North American" friendlies which are listed in the other thread

-All will be played at Foote Field - on the gridiron side of the stadium, which means a plastic pitch with gridiron markings

-Also mentioned the club is working on playing some international friendlies.

-Kowalchuk said that 2 or 3 matches have been signed up and will be announced in the next week to 10 days

-Loewedges stepped up to the podium and announced the squad - roster is listed in the other thread

Thats all I have time for now - Strobe and I had a discussion with the owner after the press conference - I will post my thoughts about that later on. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask and I will try to answer as best as I can.

I'm in the rather unenviable position of having missed out on a marketing gig with them, but can tell you the core of what you're concerned about they've known for many months. And I can tell you their direction, in terms of marketing, is not going to match the expectations that Strobe is describing. They had all of that on paper, using examples culled directly from TFC and Seattle, three months ago.

Eventually, if they survive that long (Tom has pretty deep pockets and is a good, committed owner), they'll reach those conclusions anyway. But for now, it's definitely the "gang that couldn't shoot straight" in terms of experience, direction and knowledge of the marketplace. And outside voices that are demanding are not particularly welcome.

They want a team-building atmosphere where people learn as they go, it seems, which I found unnecessary; there's plenty of expertise and professionalism relative to this marketplace out there (just check out strobe's crests, or his old Hanger site, by way of example.)

I even designed them a full-bore, multimedia style website similar to those in MLS and other sports, and they didn't want it, preferrring not to upset the direction they're already taking (of having staff web people do it.)

On the whole, their current direction is doomed and I believe their current marketing focus is as well, so I'm staying out of this until the team has been around for a few years and I've been proven wrong. That way, no emotional commitment. But I do believe Tom is a good owner, if he can get the right help in doing this properly.

I forgot to mention that I also stated that the fans always reserve the right to criticize...

They did seem genuinely interested in what CV and I had to say (and they do follow the conversation going on here and elsewhere), and Tom admitted that he doesn't know everything. As an owner, I don't necessarily expect that he should either. I was pleasantly surprised that he remembered that I (well that someone) attended the initial press conference and was asking them about their plan to engage fans. They may not have thought about it, but when it was brought to their attention they at least considered it.

Hopefully they realized that CV and I took time out of our "day jobs" to be there for the press conference. CBC certainly wasn't paying me to be there.

Oh, and I refrained from mentioning anything about their logo. I didn't want to offend, but I'd still offer to do a nice logo for them if they asked. :D

A little disappointed with the stadium news, but on short notice, what do you expect.

I'd really like to see this club get a small stadium for soccer. Most of the NASL attendance is low but a 6,000 seater, soccer specific stadium (with potential expansion room) isn't too expensive by stadium standards.

I'll buy merch when it's founded, I'll support them in the NASL as my 'local' side, but I'm TFC until I die when it comes to the Voyageurs' Cup and MLS.

I forgot to mention that I also stated that the fans always reserve the right to criticize...

They did seem genuinely interested in what CV and I had to say (and they do follow the conversation going on here and elsewhere), and Tom admitted that he doesn't know everything. As an owner, I don't necessarily expect that he should either. I was pleasantly surprised that he remembered that I (well that someone) attended the initial press conference and was asking them about their plan to engage fans. They may not have thought about it, but when it was brought to their attention they at least considered it.

Hopefully they realized that CV and I took time out of our "day jobs" to be there for the press conference. CBC certainly wasn't paying me to be there.

Oh, and I refrained from mentioning anything about their logo. I didn't want to offend, but I'd still offer to do a nice logo for them if they asked. :D

He did mention to me that they'd like to sit down at length with the Voyageurs at some point, so you and Carl might want to set up something official.

He did mention to me that they'd like to sit down at length with the Voyageurs at some point, so you and Carl might want to set up something official.

I believe Carl_Valentine is setting something up.

Here's the first local media report I've seen - http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Edmonton+play+Montreal+Miami+Ottawa+maybe+Portsmouth/3074694/story.html

I'm pleasantly surprised they've even picked up the Portsmouth connection as that wasn't mentioned at the press conference. Someone actually did some soccer homework, impressive.

A little disappointed with the stadium news, but on short notice, what do you expect.

I'd really like to see this club get a small stadium for soccer. Most of the NASL attendance is low but a 6,000 seater, soccer specific stadium (with potential expansion room) isn't too expensive by stadium standards.

I'll buy merch when it's founded, I'll support them in the NASL as my 'local' side, but I'm TFC until I die when it comes to the Voyageurs' Cup and MLS.

If you check out the Carlgary NASL thread we (Jloome Cooke and I) did kick some numbers about regardin stadia and start ups. In short If you have the Land then a 6000 seater 'bleachers' only complex with a reasonable club house will set you back about $1-1.5million, But as I said thats without the cost of the land package.

I still believe that sharing a stadium with a rugby club is a good compromise that works well in the England,; ergo Wigan and Hull to name but two.

Archived