Possible outcome:

PRI win by any amount (after 90 or 120 min)= PRI advances

Draw of any amount (after 90 or 120 min)= PRI advances

1-0 TFC after 90 minutes = extra time

1-0 TFC after 120 minutes = PKs

Any other score in TFC's favour after 90 minutes = TFC advances

Any other score in TFC's favour after 120 minutes = TFC advances

Where to watch the game in Toronto:

U-Sector will be at the Duke of Gloucester - 649 Yonge Street.

Odds, as posted by jpg75:

Bet365 odds:

Puerto Rico Islanders 1.83 Draw 3.50 Toronto FC 3.75

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a cut and paste from a few messages from the first thread:

Tuscan

Saskatoon

Canada

723 Posts

Let's actually focus on the important things here:

1. Rosters (PRI's and TFC's)

- Is Guevara back for this one, because we all know how badly he was missed at BMO.

2. Expected formations on the pitch

- Does TFC go balls out 4-3-3 or play a standard 4-4-2, and who fills those positions?

3. Weather (which has been covered)

- This ain't Kansas (too bad, they could sure use a team that can be beat 6-0 [enter Montreal joke here])

4. Which DeRo shows up?

- The one who was ineffective due to tight marking or the explosive one wearing the Maple Leaf over his heart?

john tv

Pickering

Canada

2480 Posts

2-1 for the good guys.

BTW,are the TO guys getting together in any specific bar tonight?

jpg75

Toronto

Canada

3435 Posts

Bet365 odds:

Puerto Rico Islanders 1.83 Draw 3.50 Toronto FC 3.75

Pretty serious underdogs...

MediaGuy

Finally back in TORONTO!

Canada

1293 Posts

Those odds are out of whack. Are they after 90 odds or full-time odds?

jpg75

Toronto

Canada

3435 Posts

^ Those are 90 minute odds.

If it does rain a lot then it will be an advantadge for the Islanders. That field takes on so much water. It already play a bit strangely at times but when it rains it usually ads to the home field advantadge. Puddles form and the flow of the game breaks down.

I pray for rain when we played these types of games but now I am more confident in the side.

TFC is a good team but I really like my Islanders chances tonight...

I won't link to it -- least I draw the ire of some -- but I have a preview up, with a link to the Star's preview and a PRI-focused preview. Most will know how to find that.

Guevara is expected to play. Dichio is not listed as an expected starter (which makes me wonder if he's hurt). PR says it's going to play things a little more open, which could benefit TFC.

Another T.O. viewing option will be Shoeless Joe's, where RPB always has people for away games.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

PR says it's going to play things a little more open, which could benefit TFC.

Logic says that the Islanders have to come out and attack, pushing forward they way that they did at the beginning of the game in TO last week. Puerto Rico plays a more attacking game in Bayamon.

The Islanders usually play looser at the JRL. The Islanders really need to draw first blood. I believe that the Orange Troop will attack, looking for the first goal. If TFC falls behind a goal then they will have a much better chance to exposed and vulnerable for a counter attack.

Islanders could end up scoring a couple in this one.

quote:Originally posted by yankiboy

Logic says that the Islanders have to come out and attack, pushing forward they way that they did at the beginning of the game in TO last week. Puerto Rico plays a more attacking game in Bayamon.

The Islanders usually play looser at the JRL. The Islanders really need to draw first blood. I believe that the Orange Troop will attack, looking for the first goal. If TFC falls behind a goal then they will have a much better chance to exposed and vulnerable for a counter attack.

Islanders could end up scoring a couple in this one.

That theory assumes that PRI are as talented at TFC (note difference between talent and ability to execute a game plan. The most talented team doesn't always win and the team that wins is not always the most talented).

Clearly I don't think it's close. If PRI open it up and play loose, it will be a long night for the home team.

That theory assumes that PRI are as talented at TFC (note difference between talent and ability to execute a game plan. The most talented team doesn't always win and the team that wins is not always the most talented).

Nothing could be further from the truth. If the most talented team always won then there would be no point in playing the games.

I expect a team with a payroll that is easily 6 times bigger than ours (and that is being conservative) and a club with a annual operating budget that dwarfs ours to be the more talented club.

If not, then someone or some people need to be fired and new people need to be brought in to replace them.

No, actually my theory does NOT assume that the two teams are similar in talent. Your assessment of my belief that the talent levels between the two teams is comparable couldn't be more wrong.

I am banking on the Islanders' ability to execute and TFC having a different sort of pressure to manage, especially if they get one goal down.

quote:

Clearly I don't think it's close. If PRI open it up and play loose, it will be a long night for the home team.

It could be. Or the home team could end up with another upset.

We played Cruz Azul and Santos loose. Maybe you didn't see those games. I think that you would agree that they are at least as good as TFC. We took them out in Bayamon.

If we get one goal then defend and successfully hold on and move on to the group stages then it is mission accomplished.

It's not a beauty contest but we looked pretty good taking it to Cruz Azul and Santos when they came for their Caribbean vacation. Maybe you think that TFC is superior to Cruz Azul and Santos.

I've watched every PRI CCL game. That's why I'm pretty confident that TFC has more talent.

That doesn't mean I'm fully confident they will win. PRI are very well coached and very organized. I'm not a fan of how they win in the CCL (I was cheering against them pretty much the entire run because I find the way they play ugly and uninspiring. Sorry). But I cannot deny that they are experienced and capable of pulling off the upset.

The Mexican teams are FAR more talented than TFC. But, that doesn't mean TFC couldn't beat them in a two game series. That's football and that's all I've ever said.

I was cheering against them [PRI] pretty much the entire run because I find the way they play ugly and uninspiring. Sorry

And we are supposed to cheer for TFC for that reason ? Except for the PRI game, TFC often play ugly and uninspiring, so based on your assumption, there's not many people who should support TFC's cause. I cheered for PRI cause they were the underdogs.

Always cheer for the underdogs... [}:)]

quote:Originally posted by the biologist

And we are supposed to cheer for TFC for that reason ? Except for the PRI game, TFC often play ugly and uninspiring, so based on your assumption, there's not many people who should support TFC's cause. I cheered for PRI cause they were the underdogs.

Cheer for whatever team you want. I was the one that argued that you shouldn't feel obligated to support TFC just because they are Canadian.

quote:Originally posted by the biologist

I find TFC has been more positive in their approach this year and this shows by the fact they are third in MLS in scoring. They also give up a lot of goals which makes things usually rather interesting in most games I've watch.

But when they are off, they are off and not fun to watch. But it happened less this year than the previous 2 seasons.

^ I was just saying that if a neutral person (let's say from Japan) wants to watch the game and ask some people "Who should I cheer for if I base my support on beautiful and inspiring play", the answer sould be no more TFC than PRI given the way they play in league games.

But I don't support PRI because they're rivals too. I found their push cute last year but that's all.

You know, I think even if someone doesn't support TFC - given the fact they're the only Canadian team left in the CCL, they should have our full support.

I'm a Sporting fan - I can't stand Benfica or FC Porto, but in Champions League and/or Europa League, once Sporting is out I put my full support behind those two cuz I'd love nothing more than to see a Portuguese team succeed.

The Mexican teams are FAR more talented than TFC. But, that doesn't mean TFC couldn't beat them in a two game series. That's football and that's all I've ever said.

Not to be a dick, but I'm pretty confident the current TFC would be beaten 99% of the time in a two-game series against Mexican opposition. More talented MLS squads have tried and failed many times over. Technically it is possible, but it's less likely than the Red Bulls making the playoffs.

For any TFC fans upset by that statement, rest assured that by uttering it I have ensured TFC will go on a very deep CCL run, beating multiple Mexican teams in the process.;)[xx(]

I've got to record this one unfortunately, but I'm confident they will pull it out. The DeRo - Guevara connection in midfield will be too much for PRI to handle. Hopefully Guevara is fit, because man do they need him.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

zero to zero at the half.. TFC is digging a hole.

Cummins does not know how to coach his midfield..something is seriously wrong that they are not working the ball in with short passes and quick overlaps from half way in.

Sad.

You're totally right. But since they are playing that way, then make play Dichio.

Archived