Aug 4: TFC @ Puerto Rico (R)

They are playing that way to avoid the bunkering effect PRI will play with. Makes perfect sense. Soccer isn't about playing only short or only long, it's about playing the right pass at the right time. Maybe they are too much long ball, but they seem to be doing it to measured effect in the 2nd half.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TFC embarassment .... is complete now.

You have to wonder when MOJO will realize Cummins cant coach.

A Horrible result the players were there yet they had little passion and a poor game plan.

USL appears to be a better league based on this result. TFC better begin to worry if the Lynx go back to USL 1, it could be hard being the second club in the city.

Well it's over..Time to face Canadian futbol reality, that long balls won't win you matches and TFC weren't good enough to beat a top talented PR side. Montreal qualified to the preliminaries, cuz they faced a Guatemelan club team in the preliminary stages and Guatemala is not known for top futbol in Central America, compared to the PR.

I lost count on how many long balls TFC would aim towards goal, while PR at least tried to build up using the ball on the ground most of the game. Well game over and better luck next year TFC. There's a saying that club futbol performances reflect on the National team performance and I see why Canada still has along way to improve on the international scene.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Ah, I was wondering how long it would be before somebody blamed the ref.

Well, on the Voyageurs board, CONCACAF ref conspiracy theories abound, but that penalty was a legit call though, even the Galavision announcers said that was a penalty. But that penalty wasn't the turning point of the game. TFC played poorly until the final quarter of the match when they hit the post and started playing more desperately.

Goalie in the first game, post in the second. Sigh. Oh well TFC won the Voyageurs' Cup and broke Montreal's stranglehold on it so they did accomplish something this year. Like I said TFC had to bring their A game because Puerto Rico are a quality side. In the end TFC just couldn't score. It is a recurring problem but hopefully now they will have more of a focus on MLS league play.

As a Caps fan I'm sad to see TFC out of the CCL but glad that Puerto Rico will be playing extra games. Maybe we'll get to play against their second string again ;)

Making the playoffs is the next goal for TFC. Good luck boys, I sincerely hope you do.

See you next year in the Voyageurs Cup [8D]

Hesitant to comment as I only saw parts of the game but did Cummins really use his players to best effect tonight? In the fragments of the game I was able to watch by webstream they seemed to keep trying to switch the point of attack over to the right wing only for Wynne to lose possession one way or another. Was he really expected to be able to use his pace against a team defending in depth and failing that were they expecting him to send in inch perfect crosses?

quote:Originally posted by nolbertos

Well it's over..Time to face Canadian futbol reality, that long balls won't win you matches and TFC weren't good enough to beat a top talented PR side. Montreal qualified to the preliminaries, cuz they faced a Guatemelan club team in the preliminary stages and Guatemala is not known for top futbol in Central America, compared to the PR.

I lost count on how many long balls TFC would aim towards goal, while PR at least tried to build up using the ball on the ground most of the game. Well game over and better luck next year TFC. There's a saying that club futbol performances reflect on the National team performance and I see why Canada still has along way to improve on the international scene.

We played a nicaraguan side .... oh and FYI we made it to the quarter finals.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Yes, I would say it was a penalty on Gerba. Although I have no idea why PR was given a red card.

Agreed on both counts. The incredibly ridiculous foul from behind by Guevara in the first half was far more deserving of a red. I have no idea what the PR player was supposed to have done on the play, and frankly PR should have that card appealed. The officiating was awful, but awful for both teams.

Our crossing was woeful tonight once again and that more than anything cost them this game. The only player I've seen who can consistently cross the ball for TFC in the past few weeks is Gabe Gala and he was rewarded for his "statement" performance (according to Dasovic) against River Plate by getting his ass nailed to the dressing room, never mind the bench. Dichio should have come on much earlier and when he did, we should have tried to use him as a target man instead of having our defenders fire shots 17 yards over the goal from 40 yards out or having non-wingers lob the ball yards over his and Gerba's heads. The one time Ali got some decent service in the 2nd half was the flick on to Dichio that he struck off the post. Unlucky, and we should have had a PK easily, but there wasn't enough of that. Although no one on TFC had a superb game, Robinson, Cronin, Vitti and Barrett in particular all had very poor games and none of them move the ball quickly enough to beat a team that bunkers. If the new Haitian player they sign can cross the ball he might get a lot of playing time since few others on this team can.

Overall I think the "interim" tag may have been re-applied to Cummins after tonight. Failing to score in two games against a USL team (and yes we had some bad luck) and showing no imagination or flexibility in the process doesn't look good.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

We played a nicaraguan side .... oh and FYI we made it to the quarter finals.

You know Nicaragua is even worse than Guatemala on the club futbol scene..Nicaragua is a baseball country and yes I know the Impact made it far last year, until they're untimely collapse last year and this year again.

Archived