Aug 4: TFC @ Puerto Rico (R)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by nolbertos

You know Nicaragua is even worse than Guatemala on the club futbol scene..Nicaragua is a baseball country and yes I know the Impact made it far last year, until they're untimely collapse last year and this year again.

Yeah but we trashed CD Olympia in HOnduras and Santos in Mtl, nil against Atlante and cd Olypia at home ,not bad for a second rate team, with it's first experience.

quote:Originally posted by nolbertos

You know Nicaragua is even worse than Guatemala on the club futbol scene..Nicaragua is a baseball country and yes I know the Impact made it far last year, until they're untimely collapse last year and this year again.

Besides you don't even know what you're talking about , you're mistaken Guatemala and Nicaragua. Informed yourself before trashing a team.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

They are playing that way to avoid the bunkering effect PRI will play with. Makes perfect sense. Soccer isn't about playing only short or only long, it's about playing the right pass at the right time. Maybe they are too much long ball, but they seem to be doing it to measured effect in the 2nd half.

I'm sorry, but first half, you're playing long ball?

I was always of the understanding if they bunker, you play possession soccer and take your chances as they come, not boot it right to the bunkering D...

Direct football has always been a counterattacking football, when you're on the defense, to me...but maybe i'm wrong.

Sad day for Canadian soccer. It would have been nice to see a Canadian team advance to the group stages of the CONCACAF Champions League.

There's one thing that stood out to me in the game and it had nothing to do with the action on the field - it was a comment made by the colour commentator (not sure who it was), he summed it best when he said that Toronto FC's downfall is that they were all playing as individuals and not as a team.

Talk about hitting the nail on the head. There was ZERO communication, ZERO teamwork on that field - if you can't even get the basic fundamentals of playing as a team, how the hell do you expect to win?

Out in the preliminary round - awful.

quote:Originally posted by SoccerfanatiQ

Besides you don't even know what you're talking about , you're mistaken Guatemala and Nicaragua. Informed yourself before trashing a team.

Meh..Guatemala and Nicaragua are lowly on the CONCACAF scale, I knew that the Impact played one of those countries, but couldn't remember which, besides honestly, the Impact got lucky last year. They got good bounces here and there, until they had to play Santos Laguna. Any team that has a big goal differential advantage and collapses that badly is ****e. Besides this is a TFC thread not an Impact CCL thread, if you wanna argue go create another thread.

TFC weren't booting it right to the bunkering D, as stated above. They were attempting to play beyond the D to extend them. They just did it far too often and weren't good enough at it!

Any other part of the pitch and the ref gives Gerba a free kick, but since it was the box he was scared. Simple.

Now....about that red card....???

What a mess and what a terrible display.That Gerba is useless and tell him to loose 20 lbs.Anyway I guess I am the victim of corporate manipulation,what else is new.Come on MLSE I am one of the longest sufferers and that at the tune of tens of thousands and nothing to show for other than a much smaller bankaccount adding in the food,parking and drinks it is scary.

The only funny part,there was a scout from Real,that's all we need another deliberate blow out.

I didn't watch the game because I was busy at work, but just reading this thread made me glad I missed the game.

Is Mo still going to get his 2 year contract extension? If so, then how many of you are ready to protest or stop supporting this team until Mo and rest of British staff (plus their British style of play) leaves?

Newsflash: Toronto football does not equal to British football. We (soccer fans in GTA) want a team that can play beautifully. This long ball crap is so predictable and ugly to watch. Good job TFC for insulting soccer fans in GTA. MLSE needs to get rid TFC management ASAP. They're going to kill our fanbase if MLSE keep supporting this British management.

"Sad day for Canadian soccer"

not really, that day was when montreal insulted canadian soccer by fielding a **** squad v. tfc and pissed on the credibility of the tournament.

It's not a national tragedy because TFC lost, stop talking like it is, thats just BS.

and FYI, the whitecaps would have advanced...

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Tough loss for TFC, excellent GK for Puerto Rico. Would the Caps or the Impact have done better?

I dunno. TFC lost only by a goal in the whole series, but PR is very tough and organized (like

the Impact was last year).

I think the Whitecaps would've had a better chance of advancing, only cuz they know Puerto Rico's style, tactics, players and formations after playing them consistently in the USL. I would've predicted that the Caps would've won the home game and tied or lost the away game and forced Puerto Rico into extra time and maybe penalty kicks and eeked out a win. But that's my speculation. Most GTA fans won't bother to remember the "Miracle on Grass", cuz TFC didn't qualify to the group stages.

quote:Originally posted by morbital

"Sad day for Canadian soccer"

not really, that day was when montreal insulted canadian soccer by fielding a **** squad v. tfc and pissed on the credibility of the tournament.

It's not a national tragedy because TFC lost, stop talking like it is, thats just BS.

and FYI, the whitecaps would have advanced...

It's not a national tragedy. A national tragedy is when one of our brave men and women in Afghanistan return home in a casket. That's a national tragedy.

But it IS a sad day for Canadian soccer - I don't care if it was TFC, the Whitecaps, Impact or any other team - fact is our only Canadian representative in this tournament failed to make it into the group stages. That's sad.

I don't care who's representing us - I want to see one of our "Big Three" succeed when it counts the most.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

Good to know you possess the crystal ball that can determine that result with absolute certainty.

yeah it's called past results and a long tradition of winning... thats my crystal ball

FYI, whitecaps won season series over PR this year... tfc couldnt win 1 game

I think this pretty much sums up TFC's abysmal CCL campaign and lessons

Sportsnet article: Booted off the Island by: Ryan Johnston

Toronto FC never worked very hard to win the Nutrilite Canadian Championship and in the two additional games earned by doing so it never worked very hard to prove it belonged. Which is why it is with an apathetic tone that I write the first-ever CONCACAF Champions League obit.

The Reds were never going to win this tournament, even the most ardent of supporter would agree. In the wake of the 6-1 demolition of the Montreal Impact the success seemed to be over, and the two-game preliminary set versus Puerto Rico was as far as the eye could - and wanted to - see.

The trophy case at BMO Field was no longer empty and the question of 'why not us?' was answered. In short, the laurels were rested upon. In 2008 Toronto learned from not winning the inaugural Nutrilite Canadian Championship (Voyageurs Cup) and in 2009 it will learn from not making the CONCACAF Champions League group phase.

Head coach Chris Cummins does not need to be fired; nor does Director of Soccer Mo Johnston. It comes down to the fact that the MLS team, despite its wealth of international talent, was simply out-classed by a lesser (in league only) opponent. The Reds struggled and always looked out of ideas over what was needed to prevail in a winner-take-all two game showdown. Not conceding in the home leg was paramount and it never happened. Playing with an unabated sense of urgency in the away leg was equally as paramount and it never happened. The urgency quickly turned to panic, and those players who thrive on the big stage lost their way; firing from too far while never being on the same page.

As for the Islanders, they were a similar - if not the same -- group of players who learned the aforementioned important lessons last season en route to the tournament semi-finals. It was during the Cinderella run that the team learned how to play home and away and more so how to deal with teams inked as easy favourites. In the two games against TFC the lower league Islanders never looked wide-eyed or surprised by anything TFC threw its way on the field. The Islanders were perfect in wait, perfect in their pounce and finished it off by being perfect in killing off a strong-but-clueless MLS opponent.

As a team only two-plus seasons in existence it is naïve to expect anything more from the Reds. It is mandatory to not lose sight of the short, attainable goals set out for this club. Winning the Voyageurs Cup and representing Canada was one. Winning the subsequent CONCACAF Champions League in the first try is not one. Contending for a playoff spot when the summer turns to fall this year will be another.

And come the start of the Nutrilite Canadian Championship next spring hopefully the humble lessons learned against Puerto Rico will go a long way in helping the Reds play like they belong, and not like they deserve to be there.

Source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/blogs/2009/08/05/johnston_concacaf_obit/

Archived