Aug 4: TFC @ Puerto Rico (R)

The Greek and Turkish leagues are currently in the same general category as Ukraine, Netherlands, Romania, Portugal, Scotland, Belgium and Switzerland in that they all get 2 Champions League berths. I would say ALL of those leagues are, as leagues, better calibre than MLS. I watch TFC because MLS is the best league in North America but I don't think the league is terrific calibre. Have you seen San Jose; or TFC away?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Ed

The Greek and Turkish leagues are currently in the same general category as Ukraine, Netherlands, Romania, Portugal, Scotland, Belgium and Switzerland in that they all get 2 Champions League berths. I would say ALL of those leagues are, as leagues, better calibre than MLS. I watch TFC because MLS is the best league in North America but I don't think the league is terrific calibre. Have you seen San Jose; or TFC away?

I generally agree what you're saying, but you can't point to the second-worst team in the league (San Jose) and a terrible road team (TFC) as examples of why MLS is a poor calibre.

I couldn't even name the worst teams in the Turkish top tier, but I'm pretty sure they are horrible. That is not an indictment on the strength of the league, though.

Rudi, I was responding to this particular post:

"Anyway, those players in the past aren't as talented as current players from GTA. Our current players actually play top tier leagues unlike past Canadian players. Most of our best players are coming from GTA as we speak. So don't be surprised if our men’s team gets taken over by GTA players completely if it hasn't already. "

I know we have some good players coming out of GTA and my favourite player bar none is from GTA. But I can't stand by and read some of these postings without responding.

FFS, I was staying out of this but Mr TFC07 is certainly earning any abuse headed his way.

Best Canadian in the Bundesliga - is from where?

Best Canadian in Turkish first division - is from where?

Best Canadian in England - is from where?

Best Canadian in Greek first division - is from where?

All those 1st divisions are top tier leagues.

Even though he is a defender I think Stalteri is the better player than Friend. He is the Captain of Canada and he was an important part of the Spurs but fell victim to a new coach.

Stalteri is from Toronto I believe although my roommate is claiming that Stalteri is a Montrealer.

Those leagues are better than MLS? Besides top 2 teams in Scotland and Turkey, those two leagues aren't that great. Some of top MLS teams can hold their own against these teams and leagues. In the past, MLS had players coming from Scotland and a lot of them failed in MLS. Mo Johnson is probably only Scot to have some success in MLS.

Rudi, I was responding to this particular post:

"Anyway, those players in the past aren't as talented as current players from GTA. Our current players actually play top tier leagues unlike past Canadian players. Most of our best players are coming from GTA as we speak. So don't be surprised if our men’s team gets taken over by GTA players completely if it hasn't already. "

I know we have some good players coming out of GTA and my favourite player bar none is from GTA. But I can't stand by and read some of these postings without responding.

What's wrong with my comment? You honestly think players you listed like Dale Mitchell will hold their own against our current CMNT players?

quote:Originally posted by TFC07

Those leagues are better than MLS? Besides top 2 teams in Scotland and Turkey, those two leagues aren't that great. Some of top MLS teams can hold their own against these teams and leagues. In the past, MLS had players coming from Scotland and a lot of them failed in MLS. Mo Johnson is probably only Scot to have some success in MLS.

You really need to stop making such outlandish statements.

Although I do agree that the Scottish and Swiss leagues are probably below MLS quality. Scotland is hugely propped up by the Old Firm, and after those two teams the calibre drops off dramatically.

quote:Originally posted by Franco-Ruskie

Even though he is a defender I think Stalteri is the better player than Friend. He is the Captain of Canada and he was an important part of the Spurs but fell victim to a new coach.

Stalteri is from Toronto I believe although my roommate is claiming that Stalteri is a Montrealer.

Your room mate would be wrong. Paul Stalteri is definetely from Toronto, more specifically Brampton. Personally, I think Stalteri is the best defender for Canada.

Stalteri may not be the first Canadian to play in the Budesliga, but he is the first Canadian to WIN in the Bundesliga (I'm excluding Hargreaves for obvious reasons).

quote:Originally posted by TFC07

What's wrong with my comment? You honestly think players you listed like Dale Mitchell will hold their own against our current CMNT players?

I have no idea what you are talking about. I haven't named a player in this thread, other than to respond to Loyola comment about Alberta players.

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

We make you laugh? Ironically, a plastic comes on here to disparage the rest of the country's bona fides for soccer support. You are exactly the type of 'supporter' that I described above that puts the rest of the country off TFC supporters. You do many of your fellow TFC supporters a disservice when they have to be painted by the same brush as the likes of you. Do me a favour, Mr Plastic, look at the below list and tell us again how the rest of the country can't match up to Toronto's footballing pedigree:

Tino Lettieri-Montreal,

Bob Lennarduzzi-Vancouver,

Bruce Wilson-Vancouver/Victoria,

Randy Ragan-born in Alberta,

Terry Moore-born in New Brunswick, grew up and lives in N Ireland,

Ian Bridge-Victoria,

Carl Valentine-born in England, but has lived in Vancouver since 70s,

Gerry Gray-Toronto,

Branko Segota-Toronto,

Igor Vrablic-Ontario,

Mike Sweeney-Vancouver,

Randy Samuel-Vancouver,

George Pakos-Victoria,

Dale Mitchell-Vancouver,

Paul James-Ontario,

Greg Ion-Vancouver,

David Norman-Vancouver,

Jamie Lowery-Victoria,

Pasquale DeLuca-Alberta,

Colin Miller-Vancouver,

Sven Habermann-born in Germany, not sure where he grew up,

Paul Dolan-Vancouver.

My post was largely in response to TFC07's last paragraph (in bold), which despite any backtracking he may do, was clearly meant as a put down to the rest of us. Even if he didn't mean it that way, his subsequent posts have more than justified my response. FFS, only a plastic fan would have the balls to suggest that the only Canadian squad to ever qualify and represent us in the World Cup was inferior to our current squad, which disappoints us at almost every opportunity. To follow your logic through (about GTA taking over the CMNT), I'd have to say that BC (13 out of 22 players in WC1986 squad) has taken us to the most prestigious tournament in the world. Where have the current GTA players taken us?

Archived