LA fans fussin and feudin with Becks

Soju

Wow. You're a little late with this one.

Interesting to note no rebuke for Beckham by the league. Not hard to imagine what would happen in pretty much any of the big European leagues (even Italy) had Mr. Beckam taunted or challenged the fans in that fashion. A fine for him, a fine for the club, and a hearing where he could put forth his arguements against the need for a suspension.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

It's no different from the time Grizzly banned a guy from the Voyageurs board for canoeing and selling beaver pelts.

(note: may not have happened.)

Bear pelts man, get your facts straight! I care about beaver but not beaver pelts though there is another member here who might.

Seriously though, I liked the supporters groups protesting but it is pretty weak for them to ban their own member especially when from what I can see he didn't do anything seriously wrong. A 10 year ban from the stadium is ridiculous when Beckham was the more poorly behaved of the two individuals in question. There is nothing more cowardly than calling out a fan to fight you like that when you know security will never let him get near you.

I saw an interview with the guy who came out of the stands and he seemed pretty reasonable. Beckham called him down to the field and he complied. He said that they asked Beckham to come up to discuss his issues but he motioned for them to come down.

My favourite part of that Yahoo article is:

quote:

“He said, ‘Come down here and fight,’ ” Martinous said. “I said, ‘I’m not coming down there. You can come across that barrier and we can take it from there’ essentially.

Yeah, that sounds like a realistic conversation. Essentially.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Interesting to note no rebuke for Beckham by the league. Not hard to imagine what would happen in pretty much any of the big European leagues (even Italy) had Mr. Beckam taunted or challenged the fans in that fashion.

Time to give MLS the props they deserve. Even if its nothing more than a slap on the wrist for Beckham, they are sending a message that their star player isn't above the other players.

I didn't expect this from MLS, good move on their part.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

Time to give MLS the props they deserve. Even if its nothing more than a slap on the wrist for Beckham, they are sending a message that their star player isn't above the other players.

I didn't expect this from MLS, good move on their part.

Fining a multi-millionaire like Beckham $1000 dollars is a joke. That is like one of us getting pulled over for speeding and getting a $2 ticket. If the MLS had any balls they would suspend Beckham for several games at least. That is what most players in most leagues would get for going over to heckling fans and threatening them and challenging them to fight. The problem with this though is that the ones who would lose money are MLS, the Galaxy and whatever team they are playing away to during the suspension. I don't live in a dreamworld, the MLS is losing money and if I was commissioner in that situation might not suspend him either. On the other hand, I am not going to give them credit for giving him a token fine either.

^ I'll give them credit for doing something but don't know enough about it to say whether the fine is just or not. MLS has been around for enough years that some sort of precedent has to have been set. If the standard "first time offense" punishment is a $1,000 its a $1,000. Doesn't matter what the man gets paid.

Rather have seen him take a hit of a weeks wages. Think two weeks would have been a more fair fine but again, I don't know how MLS has gone forward in these cases in the past and can't be bothered to try to find out.

LA is rolling right know. Interested to see how things will develop once they start to stumble again. Because they will.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Fining a multi-millionaire like Beckham $1000 dollars is a joke. That is like one of us getting pulled over for speeding and getting a $2 ticket.

If a multi-millionaire were to get pulled over by the police and fined the same fine someone living on welfare gets, is that a joke? Or should that multi-millionaire get fined more just because he makes more?

I really don't think that how much Beckham makes should have any effect on the punishment.

quote:Originally posted by Jamit

If a multi-millionaire were to get pulled over by the police and fined the same fine someone living on welfare gets, is that a joke? Or should that multi-millionaire get fined more just because he makes more?

I really don't think that how much Beckham makes should have any effect on the punishment.

Interesting question, not too related to this topic, but I feel that it's unjust to charge flat fees on things like that.

Why take 60% of someones income, while a richer person does the same thing, and in the end only loses lets say 1% of their income?

1. It ruins one persons life

2.the poor person would learn a damn lesson, while richie rich prob. won't give a shit.

that second point was purely from a discipline standpoint, and the numbers completely made up to prove a point.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

How do you get banned from a group that call's itself "The Riot Squad". Anyone else find that amusing?

I find the wannabe ultras posing as MLS fans rather amusing in general. Especially since, by the look of them, we're probably dealing with War of Warcraft addicts here.

Archived