Road Trip to Philly July 18

Trillium

Travel times by Mapquest

Montreal to Philly eight hours

Toronto to Philly nine hours

City: Philadelphia

Capacity: 67,594

Opened: 2003

Tenant(s): Philadelphia Eagles (American football)

Gold Cup Stage: Quarterfinals, July 18

Past Gold Cup(s): None

Field Surface: Grass

Situated in South Philadelphia, Lincoln Financial Field is located in the city's sports hub that is home to four of its major teams: the Eagles (American football), Phillies (baseball), Sixers (basketball) and Flyers (ice hockey). While the expansion Major League Soccer team will begin play in 2010 at its own stadium in the city of Chester about 25 kilometers (15 miles) to the southwest, the first sporting event staged in Lincoln Financial Field was a preseason friendly match between Manchester United and FC Barcelona before a crowd of 68,396. Built to replace the Eagles previous home, Veterans Stadium, the $521 million facility also was used for preliminary round matches of the 2003 Women's World Cup.

Tickets...

As of Friday night it is not clear if there are "Supporters Group tickets"

If you are booking a ticket, try to call Ticket Master and be in section 120 or 130, the North end of the stadium .. game time is 17:00 hours, that is five o clock Eastern Time.

Thus the sun will be high and to the West side of the pitch as you look at it.

I would suggest all Voyageurs going try to book tickets in Lower Bowl, North End in order to make a show of Red, and have some fun.

Google indicates there are various type of bars located near by, apparently some Ballet Popular locations are within walking distance of the stadium and the Port.

Tail Gating will be allowed as its a American stadium.

quote:Originally posted by Califax

I don't want to put any type of cart before any breed of horse but is there any reason to beleive we could fill a bus to Chicago? New York? My Decisions on ohter trips would hinge on this I'm sure.

Always the challenge.. go for the game you know will be, or hesitate.

With past Canadian experiences you can miss a lot of games by waiting till they get to a certain point.

You basically have to decide, when they are in a competition to go to the group games, enjoy them then decide on later rounds, here you have quarter final to see, not to far away ... it will two years before next Gold Cup and a long way to any WCQ rounds.

Make a budget 24 months of no games versus a 300 dollar expnese to go to Philly.

If you drink beer at BMO its beer game and a hot dog given up.

Being a married man (with kids) I have plans on the Quarterfinal night (TFC and John Cleese), but if I could do a weekend trip to Philly I would.

You could do a same day trip - fly in, cab to the stadium 5 minutes away and fly out right after the game for about $300.

Having said all that Chicago is where I'll be going... if...

Just wish 2000 TFC fans could figure out that they're Canada fans too - same goes for l'Impact.

quote:Originally posted by peter_tfc

Being a married man (with kids) I have plans on the Quarterfinal night (TFC and John Cleese), but if I could do a weekend trip to Philly I would.

You could do a same day trip - fly in, cab to the stadium 5 minutes away and fly out right after the game for about $300.

Having said all that Chicago is where I'll be going... if...

Just wish 2000 TFC fans could figure out that they're Canada fans too - same goes for l'Impact.

me too, and I don't want to put a jinx on it, but it might be worthwhile to discuss the prospect of a chicago bus trip, if...

I just don't know if filling a bus is a ambitious suggestion. Magic number is 57? Anyone?

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

there's no way we will have enough time to organize a bus trip.

Renting cars and picking a section to buy tickets in, is the only way to go.

I will go to the final should we make it.

What he said. There is literally about a 0.000001% chance that you could even get a bus at this point.

FYI - for thiose thinking of flying from Toronto:

Porter

Firm (YTZ - EWR)

1 Adult @ 182.00

$182.00

Special services

$0.00

Taxes/Fees

$84.21

Firm (EWR - YTZ)

1 Adult @ 109.00

$109.00

Special services

$0.00

Taxes/Fees

$40.18

Service Fees

$0.00

Change Fees(w/Tax)

$0.00

Total Price

$415.39

Air Canada:

Total charge for 1 adult

Departing Flight (Tango Plus) 94.00

Returning Flight (Tango Plus) 94.00

Options 0.00

Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges 119.24

Grand Total - Canadian dollars $307.24

for Toronto area V's, I looked into flying from Buffalo to JFK in NYC and then driving 1 hr 45 minutes to Philly. The logistics worked perfect. The total cost is about $300 US.

But, damn it, I can't go....I've got family stuff to do on Saturday that I'll get killed for missing.

Please win this game boys so I can go to the Semi Finals. I'll already be in the US that week so travel will be cheaper and more convenient.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

for Toronto area V's, I looked into flying from Buffalo to JFK in NYC and then driving 1 hr 45 minutes to Philly. The logistics worked perfect. The total cost is about $300 US.

But, damn it, I can't go....I've got family stuff to do on Saturday that I'll get killed for missing.

Please win this game boys so I can go to the Semi Finals. I'll already be in the US that week so travel will be cheaper and more convenient.

I would suggest looking into Megabus or Bolt Bus from NYC to Philly. It should be $5-10 one way for the 2 hour trip.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Another option would be to fly to Newark and take the train to Philly (train is $15 each way and leaves every hour).

Driving from JFK to Philly its more like 2h 30 minutes since you're sure to hit traffic.

Well, I'm going! It'll be interesting logistically as I have to get back to Ottawa in time Sunday afternoon for a flight to Toronto for work.

Malcolm, I'll send you a PM tomorrow/Wed once I have some details. It'll be nice to see you again.

quote:Originally posted by JamboAl

Well, I'm going! It'll be interesting logistically as I have to get back to Ottawa in time Sunday afternoon for a flight to Toronto for work.

Malcolm, I'll send you a PM tomorrow/Wed once I have some details. It'll be nice to see you again.

Cool. Looking forward to it as well.

quote:Originally posted by coppercanuck

Does the CSA not have any special promotions for this game? I'm without kids that weekend and my wife and I might consider it. Sleep is the other option.

Head out friday night you can sleep over saturday night and be home Sunday by 4pm, just drive south on 81.

Archived