Pathetic media coverage

elricko

Here in Hokey-ville B.C. ...no Gold Cup coverage whatsoever in today's " Province" newspaper, and no mention on CKNW this morning.

I've lived here for over 30 years, and the media's approach to soccer is still nothing short of disgusting..no wonder the Aussies are now ranked 16th in the world ....cos in Oz people care about world sports...unlike here in La-La-Land, where they are even still today, printing summer editions of newspapers concerning a lousy hockey team that has never won one Cup !!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When all the newspapers are owned by the same company, who cares less about world sports than what is happening during the NHL's golf season, things like the Gold Cup aren't even recognized let alone written about. The last article I saw about our Nats in the paper was talking about how we had bowed out of WCQ. So even when anything DOES get written about the boys, it's negative.

Agreed,

But the media only covers what the people want. And though it breaks my heart, the soccer fans in Toronto, (where they sell out every club game) don't care about the MNT or the gold cup. We've got 3+ supporters groups, but only 20 guys making the trip south. It starts from the ground up, if Canadians can't get excited about Canada soccer, why should the media care?

for what it's worth, the match in Columbus isn't exactly set up for the Toronto supporters

1. It's on a Tuesday. A bunch of us were quite excited to watch the nats (myself included), but I'm not using vacation time to go back to Columbus on a weekday.

I really attempt to work my vacations in with soccer (Canada in Egypt, Estonia and Florida), but forget going back to Columbus.

2. It's Columbus.* Do you want more photos of local and state police, full with the riot chopper?

Otherwise, just don't rag on TFC's groups saying that they don't support the nats. There's a reason Can-Jam was pro-Canada, and a massive part of that was the organized south end.

* OSU coeds and the Arena District redeem the city, but only to a point

I do disagree to a certain extent, as the media definitely can control the masses.

In Edmonton years ago, that loud mouth radio so-called sports guy , Bryan Hall, was so ignorant and vehement in his hate-on for soccer, that it deterred fans from phoning in to his boring radio show, and he was so rude to young soccer fans. Locally, Neil McCrae is another radio bozo , but he is at last starting to turn the corner with his anti-soccer rants.

The media gains so much advertising from hockey, that it bends over to placate the NHL, in Canada especially,but if it wished , it could generate phenomenal excitement in the young kids..and that day will come nearer when the Whitecaps enter the MSL..and you know something, that will become a huge thorn in the anti-soccer agenda forums that are so prevalent here.

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

for what it's worth, the match in Columbus isn't exactly set up for the Toronto supporters

1. It's on a Tuesday. A bunch of us were quite excited to watch the nats (myself included), but I'm not using vacation time to go back to Columbus on a weekday.

I really attempt to work my vacations in with soccer (Canada in Egypt, Estonia and Florida), but forget going back to Columbus.

2. It's Columbus.* Do you want more photos of local and state police, full with the riot chopper?

Otherwise, just don't rag on TFC's groups saying that they don't support the nats. There's a reason Can-Jam was pro-Canada, and a massive part of that was the organized south end.

* OSU coeds and the Arena District redeem the city, but only to a point

Sure, but you and I both know that a lot of the TFC supporters don't care lick about the team. So not to be rude, but I'll rag on them 'cause a lot of them deserve it. Can-Jamaca was one game, in their hometown. We're talking about Canada Soccer on a whole, and if season ticket holding soccer fans wouldn't show up in Montreal for CMNT the way the do for TFC, then I don't know how you can argue that. And I don't blame the Media for not caring, I blame people like that.

Also, this whole "I hate columbus and will never go back" has grown quite tiring. I find it hard to beleive that these supporter groups will be able to stay away if TFC gets past Puerto Rico and into Champions League group with the Crew.

*and also I'm not going down there for any other reason than to cheer on the CMNT, so what does it matter what the town looks like?

quote:Originally posted by elricko

Here in Hokey-ville B.C. ...no Gold Cup coverage whatsoever in today's " Province" newspaper, and no mention on CKNW this morning.

I've lived here for over 30 years, and the media's approach to soccer is still nothing short of disgusting..no wonder the Aussies are now ranked 16th in the world ....cos in Oz people care about world sports...unlike here in La-La-Land, where they are even still today, printing summer editions of newspapers concerning a lousy hockey team that has never won one Cup !!

Our first match was 2 days after the opening of NHL free agency and only 3 days after the NHL entry draft. Yes, it is the offseason, but there is actually quite a lot going on in the NHL.

Had our GC win been 2 weeks earlier when truly nothing was going on but some scattered Sedin re-signing talk, Canada's win may well have 'made the papers'.

Bash the Canucks all you want, but at the end of the day Vancouver is a hockey city to the bone. Throw in the NHL entry draft and free agency, and I am not at all surprised the Province had no coverage of the Gold Cup. Disappointed, but not surprised.

It's been said before, but Canada needs to get some consistent results before some of the mainstream media will give them some real coverage! Sad but true!

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Our first match was 2 days after the opening of NHL free agency and only 3 days after the NHL entry draft. Yes, it is the offseason, but there is actually quite a lot going on in the NHL.

Had our GC win been 2 weeks earlier when truly nothing was going on but some scattered Sedin re-signing talk, Canada's win may well have 'made the papers'.

Bash the Canucks all you want, but at the end of the day Vancouver is a hockey city to the bone. Throw in the NHL entry draft and free agency, and I am not at all surprised the Province had no coverage of the Gold Cup. Disappointed, but not surprised.

It's been said before, but Canada needs to get some consistent results before some of the mainstream media will give them some real coverage! Sad but true!

Right on the money

The facts are that Australia's cultural sports are Aussie Rules and Cricket,they are regarded as the definite number one sports, but the country as a whole , still strongly supports other "World Sports" such as soccer, and they also excel at these world sports , while retaining and prioritising their first choices.

It is the Canadian media that determines what the young kids are going to read and watch here , and until that tunnel syndrome mentality is altered , Canada will remain the "World's Soccer Wasteland".. .

Sure, but you and I both know that a lot of the TFC supporters don't care lick about the team. So not to be rude, but I'll rag on them 'cause a lot of them deserve it. Can-Jamaca was one game, in their hometown. We're talking about Canada Soccer on a whole, and if season ticket holding soccer fans wouldn't show up in Montreal for CMNT the way the do for TFC, then I don't know how you can argue that. And I don't blame the Media for not caring, I blame people like that.

For what it's worth, guys, this isn't a hockey conspiracy. I watched ESPN's Los Angeles Sportscenter broadcast and, even though the match took place in Los Angeles and the Americans had just won the silver medal at the Confederations Cup, nary a mention of the tournament opening.

quote:

Also, this whole "I hate columbus and will never go back" has grown quite tiring. I find it hard to beleive that these supporter groups will be able to stay away if TFC gets past Puerto Rico and into Champions League group with the Crew.

*and also I'm not going down there for any other reason than to cheer on the CMNT, so what does it matter what the town looks like?

Hold on. So are you on about the supporters or the regular season ticket holders? You've now named both of them for apathy toward the nats.

The season seat holders I agree with. Many are interested primarily with TFC, and even though they're willing to support Canada at home very few are inclined to travel. I can't say that I'm surprised. Most of them will not travel for TFC either. As you infer, that they are TFC ticket holders first are foremost.

As for the supporters groups, I'm sorry but you're flat out wrong. By and large the core Toronto based Vees over the last decade is the core of U-Sector. Otherwise, groups like the NEE and RPB seem to have been awakened to the nats with the coming of TFC, but better late to the party than never.

When it comes to travel for Canada the TFC supporter groups hold their own just fine. You forget that many in the groups aren't Canadian, but there is still a good chunk that are. Those Canucks are the ones who chartered buses, vans and took private vehicles to Montreal. They did their bit. True they didn't number in the thousands but they did reach the hundreds, and they're not the ones to blame for the fiasco in Montreal last WCQ. Intsead, they're the ones to thank for making sure the Toronto match didn't go the same way.

As for Columbus, it's not the fact that the city isn't nice. That isn't it at all. It has to do with the methods used by the police forces and security firms for crowd control. It's their strategies and organization that is screwed up. I wouldn't trust them to watch over a birthday party let alone an important match with nationalistic supporters.

If TFC advances past PR to face Columbus in the group stage then I promise you will not see a road trip like the two large ones. The reasons for that are the same as I used for the El Salvador match. It's the fact that it's Columbus and it's (almost certainly) on a weekday. Those two things are the kiss of death for large TFC travel.

Bubba Ray's on Spring Garden isn't so bad. A lot of screens, so it will be on one of them. It's where I usally watch Premiership with the boys when I'm home. They get Setanta, so that's why we started going. But it's not bad

back on track re: the media

I'm playing the devil's advocate (and this is from a TO perspective), but I've never seen coverage of the tournament like I have for this one. With two networks covering it I'm able to watch every single match. When it comes to print coverage, I read pre-tournament articles in both the Sun and Star here in TO. There have been recaps of the one game played, too. The Ali Gerba angle was played up in the Toronto papers. All of this is being supplemented by some excellent indie coverage by members of the Vees. Shy of prime time on CBC, what more do you realistically expect?

If you kids want something to really complain about, Sportscentre didn't mention at all the 1-0 win over Jamaica. But I count on TSN for great all anyway.

quote:Originally posted by Califax

Bubba Ray's on Spring Garden isn't so bad. A lot of screens, so it will be on one of them. It's where I usally watch Premiership with the boys when I'm home. They get Setanta, so that's why we started going. But it's not bad

Thanks. I love Spring Garden Road...great place to hang out.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

For a city well on the way to having a majority of relatively recent immigrants from Asia I would file that under dubious assertion, personally.

What are you talking about buddy?

I assume you must live in Vancouver and therefore know people here cheer in the streets after regular season wins. I kid you not; I live on Citadel Parade right next to GM Place I can hear it.

Or, check out the sports radio (TEAM 1040) or the newspapers (The Sun, Province) and tell me this isn't a hockey city?

I don't see the relation between Asian immigration and liking hockey? Especially considering that I am Asian decent myself!

I played minor hockey (Grandview & Langley) and still play adult hockey today. Virtually everyone on my team is also Asian! In fact the only white guy on our team is the goalie. The point being lots of Asian-Canadians love hockey, even if their parents can't even speak English.

Any underlying assertion that immigrants don't "like things that are 'Canadian'" I would find insulting. I hope that is not what you were going for. And if you live in Vancouver and still don't think this is a hardcore hockey city, perhaps you don't watch enough TV.

quote:Originally posted by red card

fan590 even has a freelancer doing a blog on the Gold Cup - never seen that before - he provides some behind the scene stuff not normally covered

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/other/?__utma=1.1660013313.1246727574.1246727574.1246842186.2&__utmb=1&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1246727574.1.1.utmccn%3D(direct)%7Cutmcsr%3D(direct)%7Cutmcmd%3D(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=150286647

from his blog after the jamaica game:

I have to give props to not only the team, but also a small contingent of Voyageurs, Canadian soccer supporters, who came down to support Canada. They aren’t large in numbers, but truly are die-hards and I wish that there were more of them.

quote:Originally posted by red card

fan590 even has a freelancer doing a blog on the Gold Cup - never seen that before - he provides some behind the scene stuff not normally covered

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/other/?__utma=1.1660013313.1246727574.1246727574.1246842186.2&__utmb=1&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1246727574.1.1.utmccn%3D(direct)%7Cutmcsr%3D(direct)%7Cutmcmd%3D(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=150286647

from his blog after the jamaica game:

I have to give props to not only the team, but also a small contingent of Voyageurs, Canadian soccer supporters, who came down to support Canada. They aren’t large in numbers, but truly are die-hards and I wish that there were more of them.

Any underlying assertion that immigrants don't "like things that are 'Canadian'" I would find insulting.

A ridiculous overreaction and a case of moving the goalposts given the phrase "to the bone" was what I initially responded to. Newcomers to a culture don't feel that sort of visceral level attachment to anything in their new country when they first arrive. It takes a few generations for that to build. As a relatively recent immigrant myself I can tell you that I don't like the NHL or curling and don't feel any less attachment to Canada because of it. It's normal that different people will like certain aspects of a culture and dislike others and the whole idea you have to like certain things to be truly Canadian is basically a propaganda exercise. I can think of plenty of stereotypical things I dislike about my native land as well along with plenty of other people from there. The original post argued that the Canadian media should be more outward looking globally. Find it hard to believe anyone on a board dedicated to Canadian soccer would argue with that. To completely fail to mention the Gold Cup is a joke.

quote:

You're honestly telling me that if it's a must win game in Columbus that would put us through to the next round, we wouldn't send a large contingent,Ha, talk to me in september.

That's exactly what I'm saying. 2000-2500 on a weekday? Half the stadium can't make it on time for a weekday home match, but you want thousands to do just that for a match in Ohio. Fat chance.

Also, who is going to be organizing this trip for the supposed masses? Not the people who have organized the last ones - I promise you that much.

Realistically, if we draw Columbus away on a weekday (when school is back in, too) I'm guessing 300-ish, roughly the same number which recently went to Montreal midweek. Coincidentally, I think that's roughly the number which went from TO to Montreal for the WCQ.

But aaaaaaaanyways .... how bout that media? lol

What are you talking about buddy?

I assume you must live in Vancouver and therefore know people here cheer in the streets after regular season wins. I kid you not; I live on Citadel Parade right next to GM Place I can hear it.

Or, check out the sports radio (TEAM 1040) or the newspapers (The Sun, Province) and tell me this isn't a hockey city?

I don't see the relation between Asian immigration and liking hockey? Especially considering that I am Asian decent myself!

I played minor hockey (Grandview & Langley) and still play adult hockey today. Virtually everyone on my team is also Asian! In fact the only white guy on our team is the goalie. The point being lots of Asian-Canadians love hockey, even if their parents can't even speak English.

Any underlying assertion that immigrants don't "like things that are 'Canadian'" I would find insulting. I hope that is not what you were going for. And if you live in Vancouver and still don't think this is a hardcore hockey city, perhaps you don't watch enough TV.

This is dumbest thing I have seen on this forum. Talk about looking for a fight. He in no way implied anything and you just made yourself look like an idiot. I normally don't reply to such idiocy, but when people twist phrases to insinuate bigotry, I draw the line.

Archived