Pozzy signs with TFC ? (again)

BrennanFan

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I guess he is the new slightly-more-versatile-but-also-slightly-less-talented-and-older-but-not-Seth-Rogen-looking Kevin Harmse.

Did TFC ever market Harmse in a TV commercial? At least the club and BMO can dust off the cool keepy-uppy ads Poz did with Brennan.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Did TFC ever market Harmse in a TV commercial? At least the club and BMO can dust off the cool keepy-uppy ads Poz did with Brennan.

lol I was thinking the same thing....

Good move for Chris and good move for TFC. If TFC can get by Puerto Rico and have those 6 extra games, the addition of Pozniak will prove to be an excellent move IMO.

Not too surprising really.

Poz is a useful player to have around. Offers good cover at several positions. Can step in beside Robinson during Cronin's GC absence if they decide to play 3-5-2

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I guess he is the new slightly-more-versatile-but-also-slightly-less-talented-and-older-but-not-Seth-Rogen-looking Kevin Harmse.

Sums it up quite well. Throw in a chunk of allocation money from Chivas and suddenly the motives for the Harmse trade don't look quite so altruistic on Mo Johnston's part. :) It's worth bearing in mind that it wasn't just Mo, who passed on Pozniak's services last season, but Frank Yallop and Preki and then the entire league when he was on waivers. He wasn't on teams' radar at the salary cap hit he was available for at that point and given he is Polish originally he was able to get his salary expectations met in the Scottish first division a year ago without having to worry about work permits.

Now with a change of managers at Dundee, he was out of the new manager's plans but from what I understand did have a guaranteed contract for the upcoming season thanks to having made a certain number of appearances last season. In Scotland the basic wage is usually quite low at smaller clubs and a lot of the money made comes from performance related bonuses that you have to be playing regularly or at least part of the first team squad to receive. Financial considerations on that basis and the prospect of being treated like a pariah for a year (could mean training with the youth team, required to run around the local park in the pouring rain all afternoon or risk contract being voided etc) makes it understandable that he wanted out.

I suspect wages being paid at smaller European clubs are plummeting given the economic conditions right now so MLS is suddenly a lot more competitive in salary terms than was the case a year ago where fringe depth players with EU passports are concerned. Adding $1 million to the salary cap to get the new CBA passed could help the league a lot in depth terms.

Archived