Dos Santos clears things up

I had no idea he was a Christian I thought he was a idiot.

Montreal Gazette Sunday June 21,2009

I’m Christian and God is very fair,” head coach Marc Dos Santos said after seeing his team get back to the .500 mark at 4-4-2. “He’s extremely fair because when I took the decision to rest guys, guys who played today, I didn’t make that decision for me. I make it for the club because we knew the three points that were important were (today), not Thursday.

“So it was fair what happened today. My team showed up. The real Montreal Impact showed up,” he said.

quote:Originally posted by mtlfan

I had no idea he was a Christian I thought he was a idiot.

Montreal Gazette Sunday June 21,2009

I’m Christian and God is very fair,” head coach Marc Dos Santos said after seeing his team get back to the .500 mark at 4-4-2. “He’s extremely fair because when I took the decision to rest guys, guys who played today, I didn’t make that decision for me. I make it for the club because we knew the three points that were important were (today), not Thursday.

“So it was fair what happened today. My team showed up. The real Montreal Impact showed up,” he said.

MOD EDIT: KYAM - Refrain from such comments as you posted in the future. THANK YOU.

quote:Originally posted by SteveBeau

I'm as upset as anybody about the disgrace that took place on June 18th, but dude RELAX....

I'm a TFC fan, but it just upsets me the fact that he'd justify his decision like that... Saying it was "Gods" will... we create our own destiny!

I'm not an Impact fan, but it enrages me he thinks hes right after the UM02 launched a well organized protest to send a message to him. The arrogance kills me.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Oh good. That really does clear things up. God wanted it this way. Though I wasn't aware God was a TFC supporter. I always thought he was backing United.

This guy is starting to make Limniatis appear perfectly sane.

After the game Marc Dos Santos gave an interview in French in which he stated:

Quelques personnes qui comprennent autant de soccer que moi de cuisine ont commenté, nous on savait ce qu'on faisait pis nous on savait qu'on voulait les 3 points aujourdh'ui , donc je suis super satisfait"

Some people who understand as much about soccer as I do about cooking have commented that we knowingly did something wrong but we knowingly wanted 3 points today so therefore I am extremely satisfied.

Limniatis was passionate to a fault but I am positive he would not have done what De Santis did. He was a player and understood what it meant to put on your club colours. He never should have been fired.

Grizzly, Marco Van Basten and Alex Ferguson are 2 managers who made a similar move to Dos Santos in the last year. I doubt Liminiatis would've done anything different in term of players selection. He would've sent his reserves and tell them to leave it all on the field and stuff like that but he would've played the same kind of lineup with an important league game 40 hours away.

I'm also curious to know what was more important for the Impact fans in term of priority. The TFC game or the Vancouver game? With the crazy scheduling you have to admit that Dos Santos was facing some kind of dilemma in term of players selection and playing a strong squad against TFC would've probably resulted in playing a weaker squad vs Vancouver.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Grizzly, Marco Van Basten and Alex Ferguson are 2 managers who made a similar move to Dos Santos in the last year. I doubt Liminiatis would've done anything different in term of players selection. He would've sent his reserves and tell them to leave it all on the field and stuff like that but he would've played the same kind of lineup with an important league game 40 hours away.

I'm also curious to know what was more important for the Impact fans in term of priority. The TFC game or the Vancouver game? With the crazy scheduling you have to admit that Dos Santos was facing some kind of dilemma in term of players selection and playing a strong squad against TFC would've probably resulted in playing a weaker squad vs Vancouver.

That is BS. I don't know which examples you are talking about (if you are going to say MVB and AF did something similar you should post the example) but I doubt they did it in a derby game against their chief rival. Plus you can't compare the depth of teams like Manchester United or Ajax to that of the Impact. For every example you could come up with of a coach doing the wrong thing there are far more of those doing the right thing and playing the best lineup because the fans care about the game. Beating your main rival in a derby game in your home stadium is far more important than 3 USL points. The honour and the dignity of your team is worth far more than 3 USL points. Throughout the football world beating your main rival in the derbies is often viewed by the fans as more important than the league title and these are teams that play in leagues far more important than the USL. Limniatis is the type of person that would understand that while Dos Santos apparently is not.

quote:Originally posted by kyam

I'm a TFC fan, but it just upsets me the fact that he'd justify his decision like that... Saying it was "Gods" will... we create our own destiny!

I'm not an Impact fan, but it enrages me he thinks hes right after the UM02 launched a well organized protest to send a message to him. The arrogance kills me.

Even when it's in your native language, you can't read a quote properly.

Marc Dos Santos never said "it was god's will"! He said god is fair because he rested his team to play against TFC, and then we happened to win the game he rested them for! He never said god told him to do it or anything.

And just because he says he's christian, doesn't mean he's a fundamentalist, and doesn't mean he should be shot.

great, people have the balls to say we're racist and anti-everyone in Quebec, and so far we've all been denouncing some idiot for saying someone should be shot because he believes in god...

Can someone muzzle this idiot? he's like Mr.Impact and myself put together, but worse.

:)

DoSantos is 100% right. He took the right decison in resting his players in the meaningless game, and played them in an important league game, and got the 3 points. Any smart coach would have done the same thing. At the end of the day, he's gonna do whatever he has to, to win important games.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

That is BS. I don't know which examples you are talking about (if you are going to say MVB and AF did something similar you should post the example) but I doubt they did it in a derby game against their chief rival. Plus you can't compare the depth of teams like Manchester United or Ajax to that of the Impact. For every example you could come up with of a coach doing the wrong thing there are far more of those doing the right thing and playing the best lineup because the fans care about the game. Beating your main rival in a derby game in your home stadium is far more important than 3 USL points. The honour and the dignity of your team is worth far more than 3 USL points. Throughout the football world beating your main rival in the derbies is often viewed by the fans as more important than the league title and these are teams that play in leagues far more important than the USL. Limniatis is the type of person that would understand that while Dos Santos apparently is not.

I was talking about playing a weaker team in a meningless game for the team.

Ferguson did it last month when Man U. played Hull in the last match day of the season. Man U. was playing in the CL final the next wednesday so Ferguson played his reserves against Hull who were in a relagation battle. Others teams fighting to avoid relegation (Middlesborough and Newcastle) weren't too happy with Man U. fielding a weaker team than usual.

Marco Van Basten did against Romania in last year Euro when The Netherlands were already through to the next round and Italy, Romania and France were fighting for the last spot. Italians and French weren't too happy by the fact Romania was given a better chance to get a result against the Dutch.

In the end, in those 2 examples, Man U and Holland won anyways so it didn't looked too bad. But the fact remains that both of those coaches decided to play weaker players in order to rest some of their starters for a bigger game.

The fact that Man U or Holland has better depth isn't revelant because they were also playing better team than TFC. Rarely a team has such a big gap between it's reserves and it's starters to justify a 6-1 loss against a team that beat you only 1-0. I doubt Dos Santos knew that was coming. I'm pretty sure he wasn't expecting a win but he probably thought that he could avoid handing TFC the trophy.

Look at this thread:

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19582&whichpage=1

No one saw this coming and people kept mentionning "Montreal depth" to justify the fact MDS decision wouldn't be a factor. To be fair, you are one of the rare who was wishing for a strong lineup but you even acknowledge the decision to start Srjan, who IMO, was the biggest factor in giving TFC the 6-1 win.

PS: Maybe the best example of a team fielding a weaker team against a team who needed goal is Canada MNT in November 2008 in Jamaica. We didn't call our best players for that game and no one here had a problem with this decision. In the end Jamaica didn't qualified but the decision was still made to accept the fact we were giving Jamaica a better chance get their goals than what they would've been normally facing if the game had count for us.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

DoSantos is 100% right. He took the right decison in resting his players in the meaningless game, and played them in an important league game, and got the 3 points. Any smart coach would have done the same thing. At the end of the day, he's gonna do whatever he has to, to win important games.

It was not a meaningless game, it was for our honour and to respect people who bought some tickets. Do you think Real Madrid would play his reserve against FC Barcelone at Bernabeu even though the game has no signification at all?

Who cares if we lost gainst Vancouver on saturday, it's only a USL games.

The argument of Dos Santos are nonsense. He says that he has to rest his players for the league games but his boss organize a bunch of friendly in July!

quote:Originally posted by Trident

Marc Dos Santos never said "it was god's will"! He said god is fair because he rested his team to play against TFC, and then we happened to win the game he rested them for! He never said god told him to do it or anything.

And just because he says he's christian, doesn't mean he's a fundamentalist, and doesn't mean he should be shot.

great, people have the balls to say we're racist and anti-everyone in Quebec, and so far we've all been denouncing some idiot for saying someone should be shot because he believes in god...

Can someone muzzle this idiot? he's like Mr.Impact and myself put together, but worse.

How does me denouncing a religious nut job make me a "racist" and anti-everyone. We only jump on Quebec because some in that Province want no part of this country. And since when did I accuse Quebeckers of being "racist"? If you can't quote me, don't make the accusation.

Interesting how your comparing me to you. We are nothing a like thank you very much. If your going to compare yourself to anybody it should be Krammerhead.

quote:Originally posted by Trident

How does me denouncing a religious nut job make me a "racist" and anti-everyone. We only jump on Quebec because some in that Province want no part of this country. And since when did I accuse Quebeckers of being "racist"? If you can't quote me, don't make the accusation.

Interesting how your comparing me to you. We are nothing a like thank you very much. If your going to compare yourself to anybody it should be Krammerhead.

quote:Originally posted by JFC

It was not a meaningless game, it was for our honour and to respect people who bought some tickets. Do you think Real Madrid would play his reserve against FC Barcelone at Bernabeu even though the game has no signification at all?

The argument of Dos Santos are nonsense. He says that he has to rest his players for the league games but his boss organize a bunch of friendly in July!

Its only a USL game???? What championship do you think the Impact are fighting for? The three points allowed the team to move up to fifth with several game in hand over the teams in front of them.

The game was meaningless, they were already eleminated weeks before. Will you be walking away from the Team if they win the USL championship?

quote:Originally posted by JFC

Exactly, I can't wait to see the line-ups for these meaningless games.

Hopefully there aren't as many Christians on those teams as the Impact have on theirs.

Guest Jeffery S.

Referring to Manchester or other teams doing similar things, Barcelona did this in the final games of the year. We rested players before the Champions final when we'd already won the league, and after we also rested players, even against teams in a relegation battle. I am glad we did, considering the trophies won, but I feel badly that we could not win all those matches.

The only player not rested was Eto'o as he was going for the Spain and European scoring title, and the players who were suspended for the Rome final, Alves and Abidal.

Osasuna is still in top flight Spain because they were lucky enough to play an unmotivated and depleted Madrid at home and then, next fixture on the second to last day, play a Barcelona team of many subs at Camp Nou. And get results from both those matches, to the detriment of Betis. But Barça at least tried in all their "meaningless" matches, they were all close, all within a goal, whether home or away. Nothing was thrown, and I have not heard a word from Betis complaining about what sort of motivation Madrid or Barcelona had playing those matches. Because both were close and there was even a bit of luck in Osasuna's favourable results.

This is why I am not so upset about it all in the end, I feel badly for Montreal being humilliated, and I am really angry about the format, because what screwed Vancouver was not being able to decide its own fate on the last day, and that was not Impact's fault, it was the format's fault. In no place in the world do unmotivated teams playing for nothing play better than those who are motivated and are playing for something big. It does not exist, I don't know why so many think it should have existed here.

quote:Originally posted by mtlfan

Exactly, I can't wait to see the line-ups for these meaningless games.

Hopefully there aren't as many Christians on those teams as the Impact have on theirs.

lol, hopefully not. They say their should be separation of Church and State. Maybe we should separate it from Sports too if it means honor and pride means nothing.

Extend the Quiet Revolution to the Impact...

quote:Originally posted by kyam

Time for me to make another list for you to read? Since it seems you can't read posts properly...

1. MDS is a "religious nut job" for saying God was kind enough to allow us to win after he gambled on resting our starters for that match? I personally don't believe in god, but he isn't a "nut job" for saying that. Religion =/= Crazy, there's plenty of secular(that means non-religious) crazy people out there.

2. I never said you're racist and anti everyone, I'm just pointing out that we're known as the province that is intolerant, when so far so many have said you don't deserve to be shot based on religion. And if you don't think it was a bad thing to say, ask Cheeta why it had to be modded out?

2b. I never accused you of saying we're racist. I can't quote you, so I can't accuse you, which is good because I never accused you of saying we're intolerant. It seems like you need to go back to grade school, so you can learn to read simple sentences and understand allusion. Maybe it would also teach you some patience, to reflect on what you post, before doing so. It would save you from looking like a fool.

3.I'm glad we're nothing alike(not a like, like you believe), because you're one of the dimmest people I've ever heard of(hyperbole-look it up).

4. I'd be happy to be compared to Krammerhead, over a know-nothing, johhny-come-lately plastic like yourself. And I must say, I'm not calling as many TFC fans johnny come lately's as I have before, but I think you are an especially new fan, considering how little you know about your own team.

Maybe you should stop and think before jumping the gun next time, Kyle.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Its only a USL game???? What championship do you think the Impact are fighting for? The three points allowed the team to move up to fifth with several game in hand over the teams in front of them.

The game was meaningless, they were already eleminated weeks before. Will you be walking away from the Team if they win the USL championship?

I'll just repeat what people have been saying all over boards and websites this past week...You do realize we are in an 11 team league with squads such as Cleveland,Austin and Miami. In this 11 squad league 7 TEAMS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. Now are these 3 points really worth losing club honor and prestige as compared to facing Carolina instead of Charleston in the playoffs? Come on...

The city of Montreal in general sought out to earn respect in the global soccer scene last year. All that fighting to earn respect went down the drain with that 6-1 loss, a loss that will live in infamy. No matter how many cups any past,present and future Montreal clubs will win there will always be that 6-1 loss looming in the record books.

When people blame Saputo for this loss I don't think they understand who actually runs this club. Saputo stated himself on CBC that he rarely speaks to the players on the day of a match for motivation or any such thing, there are 2 men that run this club; MDS and NDS. NDS assembled a squad that features the likes of players such as Sakuda who lack great skill to play even in the USL.(In no way am I dumping on the player here, he was tendered a contract why shouldn't he accept) Meenwhile MDS showed an incredible lack of respect towards the supporters, the city, and Canadian soccer in general. In fact I don't think he still realizes the severity of that loss.

i dont think i have anything left for tonight, man i need sleep

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Referring to Manchester or other teams doing similar things, Barcelona did this in the final games of the year. We rested players before the Champions final when we'd already won the league, and after we also rested players, even against teams in a relegation battle. I am glad we did, considering the trophies won, but I feel badly that we could not win all those matches.

The only player not rested was Eto'o as he was going for the Spain and European scoring title, and the players who were suspended for the Rome final, Alves and Abidal.

Osasuna is still in top flight Spain because they were lucky enough to play an unmotivated and depleted Madrid at home and then, next fixture on the second to last day, play a Barcelona team of many subs at Camp Nou. And get results from both those matches, to the detriment of Betis. But Barça at least tried in all their "meaningless" matches, they were all close, all within a goal, whether home or away. Nothing was thrown, and I have not heard a word from Betis complaining about what sort of motivation Madrid or Barcelona had playing those matches. Because both were close and there was even a bit of luck in Osasuna's favourable results.

This is why I am not so upset about it all in the end, I feel badly for Montreal being humilliated, and I am really angry about the format, because what screwed Vancouver was not being able to decide its own fate on the last day, and that was not Impact's fault, it was the format's fault. In no place in the world do unmotivated teams playing for nothing play better than those who are motivated and are playing for something big. It does not exist, I don't know why so many think it should have existed here.

There's no such team.

quote:Originally posted by TFCRegina

And maybe you should learn his real name Trillium rather than picking the first name that starts with K. I can assure you it's not Kyle, as I know kyam IRL. Stop MAKING ASSUMPTIONS.

Maybe you should address the right person, it was TRIDENT that called him Kyle NOT Trillium....Stop ACCUSING THE WRONG PERSON...

:D

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Beating your main rival in a derby game in your home stadium is far more important than 3 USL points. The honour and the dignity of your team is worth far more than 3 USL points. Throughout the football world beating your main rival in the derbies is often viewed by the fans as more important than the league title and these are teams that play in leagues far more important than the USL.

i don't often agree with grizzly but i could not agree with him more in this case.

The club needs to be in sync with its core supporters and clearly, in the case of Thursday's poor performance vs. TFC, that was not the case.

Impact front office either doesn't care about or share the ambition of its supporters to beat on TFC at every opportunity. In the eyes of the supporters for both clubs, the Impact-TFC rivalry is very real but based on Dos Santos' decision to field a less than full strenght starting XI and the players' generally poor form, I don't see evidence that the club appreciates this rivalry enough.

I think every Impact supporter would have been thrilled to ruin TFC's hopes of advancing to CCL on Thursday, even if it meant struggling vs. Whitecaps on saturday due to fatigue. It appears quite clear that the Toronto-Montreal rivalry is now far hotter (for the most loyal supporters) than the montreal-vancouver rivalry. I'm just not sure Impact front office feels the same. hopefully the protest on Saturday by the Ultras paints a clearer picture for the Impact management of what its supporters want and the extent they are willing to go to make their point. I applaud that protest (much better than the TFC supporter protest a few weeks earlier IMO).

Archived