marcus haber a whitecap

hodgkiss

sounds like the caps want to use him as a striker. and made reference to haber playing all over the pitch in europe but he seems him as someone to hold the ball up there and someone who has also got some good aerial ability. i.e the recent u-20 camp - scoring a goal on a header.

Thought he looked quite good up front at the U20 camp. In time he will learn to fully utilize his size to his advantage, as he seemed to dip down to propel himself in the air when most of the time all he needed to do was properly position himself, since he was usually the taller one in the challenge for the ball. Liked his speed and ball control(for a big man),and reminded me of a young Viduka. Look forward to seeing him down here for the next camp in a couple of weeks, and throughout the USL-1 season.

Guest Jeffery S.

A young Caps this year, with odd foreigners, means Teitur is really looking for a challenge.

Instead of just going with the winning side and holding onto last year's team, he has chosen to risk it a bit. I like that ambition from him, he's setting himself up for some difficulty against more experienced sides. And I think he will do alright, though I think it won't be a year for anything more than a decent season, the side is not there yet.

Nice article on Haber in the Proince today:

http://www2.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=9257abaa-c306-45b8-b0ba-a02ee5b6ae8c

Haber happy to be home with Caps

After brief stint in Europe, one of 'fab five' back to play for Vancouver

Marc Weber, The Province

Published: Thursday, February 12, 2009

Marcus Haber was one of the fab five in the fall of 2006.

Five soccer players from the same club -- the Vancouver Selects -- who signed on with foreign professional teams in the same year. It was believed to be a Canadian first.

Four, including Haber, navigated their way to the Netherlands, and Haber was part of a trio that ended up with top-flight FC Groningen's under-19 side.

He wasn't offered a spot with their reserves this season, though, and on Wednesday the Vancouver Whitecaps announced the signing of the 20-year-old forward, along with 22-year-old right fullback Wes Knight of South Carolina.

Both had been on trial with the team.

"I'm really excited about the season and happy to be a part of the Whitecaps," said Haber, a member of Canada's U20 and U23 national teams who grew up in Dunbar.

"Obviously when you come back from something that doesn't work out it stings, but my first thought when I got back was to get in an environment where I can train and improve.

"I've got no regrets from being over in Holland -- it definitely had a positive effect on my game and it helped me as a person as well. Now I've got to look forward and try and improve myself as a player here."

Haber will be in a battle for playing time. Despite the departure of leading scorer Eduardo Sebrango to Montreal, the Whitecaps return championship hero Charles Gbeke and have brought in the Malaysian Super League's top marksman in St. Vincent international Marlon James.

Residency kids Randy Edwini-Bonsu of Edmonton and Dever Orgill of Jamaica are also making a strong case for minutes, and don't rule out head coach Teitur Thordarson seeking out another established scorer.

Thordarson raved Wednesday about Haber's potential, and his rare combination of assets.

"He has fantastic speed for being a big boy like he is (6-foot-3, 190 pounds)," the coach said.

"I have big belief in him ... that [he] can be developed into something great.

"Tactically he has to develop a lot, there are a lot of things to work on, but he has very interesting tools."

Of the fab five, only one remains abroad -- Vancouver's Brandon Bonifacio, who's now on loan to Dutch second division side FC Zwolle.

Haber's former U19 teammate with FC Groningen, midfielder Michael Nonni of West Vancouver, is also hoping to catch on with the Whitecaps and was playing Wednesday afternoon for the residency team against the University of B.C.

"He's one of my best friends and it would be great to play with him here," said Haber, who endured unsuccessful trials in England and Austria before landing with the Caps.

Another local lad recently back from Europe, New Westminster's Keegan Ayre, has survived the cuts so far. He, too, was playing in the residency game on Wednesday and there's a senior side game slated for Friday at 3 p.m. against Trinity Western University at Burnaby Lake Sports Complex.

Thordarson said he'd make a decision on the remaining trial players likely by week's end.

mweber@theprovince.com

More on the web

There were some interesting new faces at practice Wednesday. Check out theprovince.com/blogs and click on Back of the Net to find out who's on trial.

Re. Nonni and Ayre:

Local trialists M Keegan Ayre and M Michael Nonni played for the residency team in Wednesday's 1-0 loss to UBC and Thordarson will not use them again Friday.

"I've seen what I need to see," he noted. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, we'll have to wait and see, but Thordarson said he'd announce their fates on Friday.

http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/backofthenet/default.aspx

Archived