Julian de Guzmàn blasts CSA

Blackdude

Guest Jeffery S.

LOVE THAT ACCENT ON HIS NAME IN YOUR TITLE, TIO, QUÉ MOLA!

(I think this was posted but the title is so obscure a lot maybe missed it)

^ I think it does. I think it a matters quite a lot.

If your 1st team, or at least the media darlings of your 1st team (DeRo, Brennan, The Guz, Diesel) are lining up publicly in favor of change it really does make a statement which is greater than the collective sum of it's parts. The call for change gets over-amplified with each added voice.

We're rapidly reaching a point where Dale Mitchell, regardless of your views on why we crashed out of WCQ, has become a distraction and an excuse. Right or wrong he has become with the players a negative issue in himself. A poster boy of all that is wrong with the administration of soccer in this country. When he becomes that symbol he's done. And there is no way that CSA HQ can spin sticking by "their man" without looking like nutters completely detached from the realities of the real world.

Is that fair to Mitch? Shrug. Maybe, maybe not, but it is a football managers lot in life. Occupational hazard. As manager you're either cock-of-the-wall or chicken soup but by in large I believe it's within your own hands to determine which it'll be and for how long.

From the main article:

''They should bring everything down and start again. They know what needs to be done but it's like, 'Uh, it might cost a bit too much,' or they don't want to make too much effort,'' De Guzman said.

I read here that many of us, Voyageurs, don't believe in a professional football league but I think it's necessary and about it shouldn't matter, it doesn't matter if it doesn't attract enough people at the begining because a professional league is what we need right now.

It may be what some enthusiasts think we need but it isn't going to happen because no investor(s) is willing to make the necessary long term financial commitment, not while the USL and MLS are as successful as they are in Canada. As has already been stated in another thread, if we can't sustain a top level domestic professional hockey league - Canada's supposed national obsession - in the face of competition from the NHL, what makes you think a national pro soccer league competing with USL and MLS would be in any way viable as a business venture because that's what it would have to be?

quote:Originally posted by Richard

It may be what some enthusiasts think we need but it isn't going to happen because no investor(s) is willing to make the necessary long term financial commitment, not while the USL and MLS are as successful as they are in Canada. As has already been stated in another thread, if we can't sustain a top level domestic professional hockey league - Canada's supposed national obsession - in the face of competition from the NHL, what makes you think a national pro soccer league competing with USL and MLS would be in any way viable as a business venture because that's what it would have to be?

I don't think that football and NHL are the same situation, NHL is highest level of hckey(that means hockey players are meant to stay forever in the NHL) while I think that a Canadian professional football league should serve to develop a larger number of canadian players that can attract eyes from European clubs. In other words, A canadian league first role should be to export players in other better leagues and at the same time that would the most important source of revenue for the clubs.

Many players in our CMNT had the chance to live outside Canada and develop elsewere or simply leave Canada to try somewhere in Europe, to name a few the brothers Nakajima-Farran, David Edgar and even JDG but not everyone has the chance to leave the country to develop in Europe, a canadian league could give that chance to everyone here and with a proper and better development that we have now.

Also agree with DeGuz being our captain.

1. Our most talented player

2. Not about to retire (perfect age in fact)

3. Plays at a level higher than any other Canadian (a usual starter for a top club in a top league)

4. Is willing to put his ass on the line with our pathetic coach and the CSA to speak his mind

Note that the Sportsnet site has this paragraph:

"CSA spokesman Richard Scott and the CSA's general secretary Peter Montopoli both told The Canadian Press they preferred not to comment without speaking to De Guzman, although Scott did say the team will play more than one friendly before the Gold Cup."

So, we'll play more games before the GC, which is a good news.

quote:Originally posted by earlimus

Also agree with DeGuz being our captain.

1. Our most talented player

2. Not about to retire (perfect age in fact)

3. Plays at a level higher than any other Canadian (a usual starter for a top club in a top league)

4. Is willing to put his ass on the line with our pathetic coach and the CSA to speak his mind

I don't think he was doing a very good job of leadership and setting an example by partying at Club Opera after the loss to Honduras in Montreal and before an important trip to Mexico. I agree with his criticisms but yet again have to say it would hold more weight with me if he had actually played well in WCQ and had not been out partying after games. Mitchell needs to accept responsibility and resign but he is not the only one who needs to accept responsibility. A couple (though too few) of players have admitted that they were also to blame and performed underpar but to my recollection DeGuzman has not been one of them and that is poor leadership.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I don't think he was doing a very good job of leadership and setting an example by partying at Club Opera after the loss to Honduras in Montreal and before an important trip to Mexico. I agree with his criticisms but yet again have to say it would hold more weight with me if he had actually played well in WCQ and had not been out partying after games. Mitchell needs to accept responsibility and resign but he is not the only one who needs to accept responsibility. A couple (though too few) of players have admitted that they were also to blame and performed underpar but to my recollection DeGuzman has not been one of them and that is poor leadership.

Exactly and he sounds more like a politician than a captain with his quotes. He's probably right in his criticism but I would like him to be more precise. What went wrong last fall? Prep? Stadiums? It's funny because JDG alluded recently to the CSA not listenning to the players request to play all games in MTL....which is a bit ironic with the crowd we saw at Saputo Stadium.

The problem with the players is they are like the CSA, lots of talk but nothing really constructive in their comments. General and very vague.

"De Guzman said he would never refuse a call-up - even during his off-season break from playing in Europe"

Okay the guy has my respect for perseverance in the face of incredible ignorance and adversity! It would be so tempting to just say "call me when you are serious".

"although he feared that motivation would be absent at the Gold Cup unless some changes were made"

I can see that happening. I really wish the players would form a union or association. Anything to move the glacial CSA faster would be a help.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

I really wish the players would form a union or association. Anything to move the glacial CSA faster would be a help.

It has been suggested to some of them to give this consideration.

I don't think they need a "union" per se, but it is my belief that they require a unified voice when speaking publicly. That way, we know that when comments are made, they reflect the sentiment of the entire team and can't be dismissed as the ramblings of a disgruntled individual.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

It has been suggested to some of them to give this consideration.

I don't think they need a "union" per se, but it is my belief that they require a unified voice when speaking publicly. That way, we know that when comments are made, they reflect the sentiment of the entire team and can't be dismissed as the ramblings of a disgruntled individual.

Good point about the union. So far, looking at Stalteri, Onstad, JDG, DeRo and Brennan comments, the players don't look like they agree on everything.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Oh golly, will it be a second-division Danish club or a samll Carribean team we'll reach on a fishing boat? How does Aruba sound?

I'm not sure our MNT is in a position to look down on opponent at the moment even if it's minnows (remember Martinique and Guadeloupe?).

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

"De Guzman said he would never refuse a call-up - even during his off-season break from playing in Europe"

Okay the guy has my respect for perseverance in the face of incredible ignorance and adversity! It would be so tempting to just say "call me when you are serious".

"although he feared that motivation would be absent at the Gold Cup unless some changes were made"

I'll be truly impressed if he does show for this GC, but it seems so tempting just to trump up an excuse not to be there.

On the other hand, he could really drop a bombshell and announce is retirement from international soccer!

Archived