FIFA U-17 New-Zealand 2008

turbo

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason we have always been given is conditioning. BR likes to get them working in the cold as a way to increase their endurance. We do have training times booked at the center for most of the winter, but if the weather looks tolerable, he reschedules them for midday and brings them outside. Our indoor booking times are sometimes really early in the morning to work around the other bookings at the center. My daughter prefers to work outside and sleep in a bit than to be on the road at 4am to get to the center for a 6am practice - we live about 120km from the center.

Guest Jeffery S.

Was intrigued by the stories on the Japanese so watched the highlight video: both US goals were keeper errors, and quite glaring at that, though she redeemed herself late with a few saves to get the result. The Japanese goals were all great, the second is an absolutely incredible long shot, the third a fine control and volley. Fine play, and the stats say the Japanese had possession in the match as well.

Look, in Edmonton, the NTC trains on a freakin' elementary school field until the snow flies. Not at a private club with portable nets, but at a school yard where they have to set up nets, drag equipment from cars, play on an unlined field with terrible grass and numerous holes, divots, dirt patches...

It is embarrassing to see - our facilities in this country are abysmal. Considering that we are a northern country, it is incredible that we don't have more 11 v 11 sized indoor pitches available for use. In Alberta, there still isn't one indoor field turf facility.

quote:Originally posted by soccer10

The reason we have always been given is conditioning. BR likes to get them working in the cold as a way to increase their endurance. We do have training times booked at the center for most of the winter, but if the weather looks tolerable, he reschedules them for midday and brings them outside. Our indoor booking times are sometimes really early in the morning to work around the other bookings at the center. My daughter prefers to work outside and sleep in a bit than to be on the road at 4am to get to the center for a 6am practice - we live about 120km from the center.

I forgot...BR is from the Jimmy One Foot school of coaching.

"Make 'em freeze their privates off..." because that will make them great players.

Sorry to come off cynical but I really don't accept those coaching philosophies, nor do most coaches with a professional pedigree that I've spoken to. Conditioning can be built up in many ways. Training outdoors is normally done for cost considerations, not for conditioning reasons. We are training soccer players, not cross country skiers.

I can accept when a youth club keeps their players outside in the cold because they can't afford to bring the kids indoors too early but I can't accept the idea that the best players in a province / in the country must shovel the snow off a pitch in order to conduct practice. That time would be better spent indoors, developing skills. The U17s girls have an excellent strength and conditioning coach and i'm sure he's got better ways to improve their conditioning that developing hypothermia while shovelling snow.

LOL.....how many of our NT's events are in the cold. If anything they should be training somewhere hot or indoors to get ready for their qualifiers. Oh, wait a sec, that was in the Strategic Plan to have camps in SA.

In the interior of BC, indoor training is a fact of life for their mountain climate which is similar to the rest of Canada but not live the rain in YVR.

This is the Adidas Sportsplex in Penticton -

http://soysa.net/soysa/indoor-facility/building

It depends of what we are talking about. Players practicing at -5 is tolerable if the weather isn't affecting the players and the pitch is playable.

Hypothermia??? Comon now, plenty of games are played in tougher condition around the world....The 2006 CIS Nationals champioship in Edmonton was played at -15 and there was no trouble with hypothermia.

I'm not saying they it's the ideal condition but if the players like it, there's no danger of injury for the players and the coaching staff feels like they can get something out of that practice, why not?

BTW, plenty of athletes do train in the cold for conditonning purpose. With the right gears, there's no danger unless you have crazy conditions. Ever heard of Emil Zatopek? I don't think he had a lot of competitions in the snow but still he was training in it....

VPJR,

As usual you do not have your facts straight. It is all about money for NTC in the country. The NTC train when and WHERE they can afford. The strength and conditioning coach does their fitness training BOTH indoor and out.By this time next year the word is there will be a bubble on the outside turf field at the OSA so this will not be an issue.

Good Luck to the U17 TODAY against Columbia. We are all proud of you and all of the sacrifices you have made to play for your country.

quote:Originally posted by basics

VPJR,

As usual you do not have your facts straight. It is all about money for NTC in the country. The NTC train when and WHERE they can afford. The strength and conditioning coach does their fitness training BOTH indoor and out.By this time next year the word is there will be a bubble on the outside turf field at the OSA so this will not be an issue.

Good Luck to the U17 TODAY against Columbia. We are all proud of you and all of the sacrifices you have made to play for your country.

Hate to break it to you basics.. Vpjr is right on this one .. the Jimmy one foot style is still in play in Ontario.. its put the players in this province back fifteen years, he should not allowed near any young and developing coaches .. he is in a word horrible, yes there are times a athlete might train in the cold cause they need to do the running etc.. but to have frozen balls and players trying to learn to control them is STUPID.. when your not going to play in CONCACAF in such conditions in any event.

Get a clue, we play in rain and heat, we play in conditions that allow a slower controlled game, Jimmys .. Highland league tactics and training exist no where else but the Highland league.

Now if you really want to support womens soccer in Canada call for your local club .. to demand the OSA get rid of jimmy and his over home friends.

VPJR,

Hate to break it to you basics.. Vpjr is right on this one .. the Jimmy one foot style is still in play in Ontario.. its put the players in this province back fifteen years, he should not allowed near any young and developing coaches .. he is in a word horrible, yes there are times a athlete might train in the cold cause they need to do the running etc.. but to have frozen balls and players trying to learn to control them is STUPID.. when your not going to play in CONCACAF in such conditions in any event.

Get a clue, we play in rain and heat, we play in conditions that allow a slower controlled game, Jimmys .. Highland league tactics and training exist no where else but the Highland league.

Now if you really want to support womens soccer in Canada call for your local club .. to demand the OSA get rid of jimmy and his over home friends.

quote:Originally posted by fishman

Look, in Edmonton, the NTC trains on a freakin' elementary school field until the snow flies. Not at a private club with portable nets, but at a school yard where they have to set up nets, drag equipment from cars, play on an unlined field with terrible grass and numerous holes, divots, dirt patches...

It is embarrassing to see - our facilities in this country are abysmal. Considering that we are a northern country, it is incredible that we don't have more 11 v 11 sized indoor pitches available for use. In Alberta, there still isn't one indoor field turf facility.

Are telling me the only fields in Edmonton are like that ? or is it that the NTC manager is so out of the loop on how to organise a piss up in brewery, they cant get a decent training pitch .. ?

This is person problem doing a job .. who is out of there depth.

quote:Originally posted by fishman

Are telling me the only fields in Edmonton are like that ? or is it that the NTC manager is so out of the loop on how to organise a piss up in brewery, they cant get a decent training pitch .. ?

This is person problem doing a job .. who is out of there depth.

Odd because I seem to remember Calgary having one of the first indoor facilities in the country.

Men and women play year round in Northern Europe. Our season here is configured by hockey and school. We should be playing and training another two months outdoor.

VPJR,

how do I not have my facts straight? I didn't really make many "statements of fact" other than:

a) BR is a Jimmy Cannovan disciple - TRUE

B) The U17s have a very good strength and conditioning coach - TRUE

c) outdoor training in winter is usually done for cost savings purposes - TRUE

Other than that, I stated opinion, not facts:

- It is my opinion that an NT coach that conducts outdoor training in winter is stupid, especially when we play in a condfederation where almost all competitions take place in warm/hot weather climates. It would be better to train them indoor, crank up the heat and let the players get accustomed to playing in uncomfortably warm conditions.

- I also stated the opinion that shovelling snow is a waste of time for elite soccer players and that time should be spent developing as players.

Your statement that the NTC programs are training outdoors due to cost considerations and that they train "where and when" they can is beyond a sad state of affairs. If we are going to field a national team program, it strikes me as obvious that sufficient funds should me made available to ensure that they are spending their time focused on their primary goal, which is winning international matches.

Lastly, I wish the young women on this team good luck as well. I know through conversations with people involved with the team that this group has worked very hard to get to this WC and I hope that they make it out of the group phase and as far in the elimination round as possible.

I find this outdoor training in winter exaggerated and even counterproductive to some extent. Hard to work on skills and focus on what is going on and being said when the weather is a factor. Maybe once and while but all the time ... don't agree. Yeah it's great to say we're Canucks, tough, can take the cold etc. , but we got to learn to play soccer first well adn for this conditions should be close to ideal.

In Quebec, NTC is indoors as of Nov 15 approx., but then, they could not practice outdoors even if they wanted to once the snow starts! We would need lots of shovels....

It is also easier/cheaper in Quebec maybe cause NTC sessions are during weekdays in mid to late afternoon. So more field availability.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Our season here is configured by hockey and school. We should be playing and training another two months outdoor.

Agreed Vic - we are at the point in many places in this country where the "indoor" season is as long or longer than our outdoor one for no other reason than what you mention. The outdoor season in Ontario (with the exception of the north perhaps) should extend at least to the end of October and begin in May... unlike now when it starts in late May and ends in some cases ends in late August.... tough to become a world class soccer power playing full field soccer four months a year.

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

Agreed Vic - we are at the point in many places in this country where the "indoor" season is as long or longer than our outdoor one for no other reason than what you mention. The outdoor season in Ontario (with the exception of the north perhaps) should extend at least to the end of October and begin in May... unlike now when it starts in late May and ends in some cases ends in late August.... tough to become a world class soccer power playing full field soccer four months a year.

Do you think a district association would extend its elite competitive league to run to those late dates ?

It should, I agree but I do not think it ever will because it would not generate any more revenue and would have more expense to do so.

Secondarily the clubs would fear losing players at the u13 and u 14 ages of teams .. instead of realizing all its elite players should by U12 have opted for one sport only to focus on if they truly want to be world class.

bonsoir à tous

Merci beaucoup pour toutes les informations, vos analyses et commentaires. C'est super.

Ce soir il y a aussi des matchs

Brasil - Corea S. sur le net à 22 heures (heure de Montréal)

http://rojadirecta.com/

_____

edit

desolé le lien ne fonctionne pas :(

_____

Bonsoir

je suis confuse avec les décallages horaires

le match commence à 23 hres (heure de Montréal)

au lien suivant

http://www.justin.tv/widgets/jtv_player.fix.swf?channel=will_tv2

It is my experience that the best female soccer players at 12 or 13 years of age have not yet picked their "favourite" sport. Most play one or two other sports at an elite level (for their age). Here in Manitoba I see quality soccer players who are also elite volleyball or basketball or hockey players. They often leave one practice and go to another sport competition when the seasons overlap and for the best players it always overlaps. I don't think the European and South Americans have the same problem. Football is king there. Statistics which show such high participation for females here are somewhat misleading because many of those females are also participating in other sports. I would bet that in other countries that is not the case. Soccer in Canada gets its "share" of superior athletes but if we got ALL of them we would of course be better.

^ It is not only female players, my youngest son was playing competitive tennis (top 100 in Ontario in his age group) while also playing on the Ontario U-14 All Star soccer team. Parents were run ragged of course and it wasn't long before we suggested it might be helpful if he chose one over the other - he went with soccer :)

IMO in NA the players have more choices due to the sports facilities & development infrastructure. Countries that put soccer at the top of the list spend more money to build out the soccer infrastructure compared to other sports. Hence more kids are funneled to soccer whereas in NA, players are doing everything until they make a choice based on what is important to them.

I have to think that the Canadian soccer registration statistics reflect the fact that "everyone" plays soccer but not "everyone" is a soccer player. I would rather have 40 committed players in a program that 200 who are only in because it is a social physical activity and cheap.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

I would rather have 40 committed players in a program that 200 who are only in because it is a social physical activity and cheap.

I have to wholeheartedly agree.

Participation is great and I encourage it but I think the sentiment you have expressed is shared by many people involved at the club/academy level.

When the day comes that the are more professional opportunities in soccer, the level of overall committment to the sport will increase in line (or at an exponential rate) with the rate of growth for those opportunities.

For women, those opporunities are still a relatively long way out but it will inevitably come. Its happening for the men and the level of committment and willingness to spend serious money to get the best possible training is happening in a noticeable way.

Archived