FIFA U-17 New-Zealand 2008

turbo

^ I find this one a tough one because athletes in many other sports that do not have huge "professional" opportunities seem to be able to attract, retain and demand more from their athletes as I'm sure many of you have seen yourself - rowing, swimming, skating (winter sport so maybe a "cultural" advantage) volleyball etc. all seem to be able expect and demand more in my experiences...

I don't think the opportunities in these sport vary much from soccer and in fact especially on the women's side I could make the argument that the opportunities in soccer are greater...

IMO it is the recreational culture of the game itself and how it has developed here that causes the issue - I'm a firm believer that we need to separate the recreational and competitive systems or at least put some distance between the two instead of forcing them (at least here in Ontario) to co-exist within the same organizations. It hasn't worked in the past, it's not working now so why would we expect it to work in the future.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^

What I feel the issue is are the lack of structure or understanding of the soccer community in general to admin the sport into clubs that service all ages (cradle to grave), all sexes, all caliber & have a social life. Real clubs create a culture of service to the members, a culture of belonging, a family environment & etc were families grow up in the clubs.

Part of the issue of there being no real clubs is the revenue to be able to fund decent programs to have the sport admin'ed at the grassroots level professionally. Presently the clubs in Canada are so small that they will never be able to properly service members at any age in decent way.

Also, because in Canada we have so many small clubs, the landscaped is fragmented to the extend in interferes w/ development & their pathways being a structured & well managed system from top to bottom. Basically we have too many small community clubs that do their own thing vs large clubs that offer better service to a bigger footprint that connect to the National & Pro pathways.

I really believe clubs should at least be the size of Districts & be cradle to grave. Also, that clubs should exist in a free market environment so the clubs w/ the best services grow vs small clubs that do very little & exist in a protected footprint.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Are telling me the only fields in Edmonton are like that ? or is it that the NTC manager is so out of the loop on how to organise a piss up in brewery, they cant get a decent training pitch .. ?

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Odd because I seem to remember Calgary having one of the first indoor facilities in the country.

The realities are these: The NTC-P in Edmonton trains as long as it can on an elementary school field until the snow flies. At that time, they move indoors into the Edmonton Garrison, a converted aircraft hanger on CFB Edmonton. It is large, but is basically covered tarmac. Better than some of the alternatives, but it doesn't accurately represent outdoor soccer...the bounces are absolutely shocking.

In considering Calgary - and Edmonton - there are many indoor facilities. But almost all are for boarded indoor soccer, something that we need to get away from. There is a 7 v 7 facility in Edmonton, too, but it is far too small to be practical. You can literally strike a ball from your own 18 yard box and score on your opponent...

The ASA is abysmal at best at providing any funding or direction as it relates to facilities. And to make matters worse, the ASA and the CSA/NTC aren't even close to being on the same page regarding player development. At the most recent NTC scouting weekend, the SSA TD was in attendance, the MSA TD was there, and even the BC TD came out (funny, as it was a NTC-P event, not NTC-BC).

Do you think the ASA TD was there? His office is on site, for Chrissakes. The state of player development in our country is brutal. Almost all success is due to good luck (and the work of club coaches), not good management on the part of our provincial and national staff coaches.

quote:Also, because in Canada we have so many small clubs, the landscaped is fragmented to the extend in interferes w/ development & their pathways being a structured & well managed system from top to bottom.

Yes, that's very much the case.

quote:The state of player development in our country is brutal. Almost all success is due to good luck (and the work of club coaches), not good management on the part of our provincial and national staff coaches.

There are a lot of great people out there, at both the national, provincial, and regional levels. Some absolutely fantastic coaches, great managers, admins, etc. They just have no money.

I read Chelsea fired some of their scouts today in a cost saving measure - well 16 scouts to be exact. Their scouting manager alone makes something like $4 million a year. And that's not even youth team coaches, managers, trainers, physios, bus drivers, etc. That's just scouts. And Chelsea have put maybe 1-2 players through in 4 years.

I think we have to be realistic about our resources. Field time, athlete assistance, etc. It just doesn't exist. If you want to blame the process, the funding, etc - great. But to put that on the backs of some pretty good hard-working people out there is shooting the messengers.

quote:Instead of realizing all its elite players should by U12 have opted for one sport only to focus on if they truly want to be world class.

Give or take a percent or two, I only disagree with that about 8,000%.

quote:Originally posted by basics

VPJR,

As usual you do not have your facts straight. It is all about money for NTC in the country. The NTC train when and WHERE they can afford. The strength and conditioning coach does their fitness training BOTH indoor and out.By this time next year the word is there will be a bubble on the outside turf field at the OSA so this will not be an issue.

Good Luck to the U17 TODAY against Columbia. We are all proud of you and all of the sacrifices you have made to play for your country.

I think the one with facts not straight is you, the decision to train outdoors is the coaches decision, because they can choose where to practice every time.

Also the country the girls were playing against it's call Colombia, the Columbia you're talking about is a province in Canada. Get your facts straight.

How does the new indoor facility in Winnipeg (at the U of M) compare with facilities elsewhere? It is 110 yards long and 70 yards wide with field turf and NO boards. It can be divided into four smaller fields (with curtains) for 6 a side games or two medium size fields for 8 a side games. It's total length is pretty close to a full size field to at least somewhat represent a real setting.

Archived